Denali Park Village

lovetotraveltx

no, there isn't a "town". There are several sprawling cruise hotel complexes, and a couple of 'strip malls' where there are restaurants, stores, vendor offices.

The shuttle would be a ride to the park entrance. Or it could be a shuttle that runs thru the complex to move guests to the main bldg for dining or for the shuttle to the park.

The Denali Salmon Bake has a shuttle service that makes several stops thru Glitter Gulch, at hotels and restaurants and eventually the park.

I've driven by the Denali Park Village several times, but have never driven into the complex. But it is located about either or nine miles south of the entrance to the national park. The area referred to as "Glitter Gulch" is just north of the park entrance. Glitter Gulch is not an incorporated community, but is a collection of businesses and hotel complexes.

The wonderful restaurant "Mile 229" is located relatively close to the Denali Park Village and could be an option for those not wishing to dine at the complex.

Well - for some reason I don't seem to be able to edit my own post (I tried within the time frame) -- the correct name of the best restaurant in the Denali area is "Park 229" which is located at mile 229.

I also just checked the Denali Park Village website, and according to what I looked at the complex is located at mile 231. The national park entrance is around mlle 240 or so.

We might be staying here in June, with Celebrity. Don't have a choice of lodges but if it's this one. Any tips on food and lodging? Area of Lodge to try to request? Will have 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners here.

Appreciate any insight!

As everyone has mentioned, this lodge is about 6 or 7 miles from town. They have a shuttle though and it is very easy to use. They have a few places to eat on site that aren't bad, but you will definitely pay a premium on top of already expensive Alaskan food.

I would absolutely make sure you call and get a river facing, King room. There isn't air conditioning in most rooms so they provide a small fan and you can open your window. It normally wouldn't be a problem but if you get a room that faces the parking lot, then you have loud noise from the cars / buses / people coming and going at night. Combine that with twin beds instead of a queen or king and it was a long night. They have some nice river view rooms with king beds available, but they book fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As everyone has mentioned, this lodge is about 6 or 7 miles from town. They have a shuttle though and it is very easy to use. They have a few places to eat on site that aren't bad, but you will definitely pay a premium on top of already expensive Alaskan food.

I would absolutely make sure you call and get a river facing, King room. There isn't air conditioning in most rooms so they provide a small fan and you can open your window. It normally wouldn't be a problem but if you get a room that faces the parking lot, then you have loud noise from the cars / buses / people coming and going at night. Combine that with twin beds instead of a queen or king and it was a long night. They have some nice river view rooms with king beds available, but they book fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are on a celebrity cruisetour so I'm not sure how to do that :(

We are on a celebrity cruisetour so I'm not sure how to do that :(

One option would be not to take the tour part of the cruisetour but do a DIY. That way you can do what you want, eat where you want, and stay at places where you want instead of staying in, stopping at and eating in places that maximize the profits to the cruise companies.

DON

Glitter Gulch is boarded up completely from September 15 through May 15....It is a place that is only there for tourists who come to see Denali National Park....And unfortunately, they spend 1-2 days there, go back in the park for 30 miles and miss so very much of the park....

Glitter Gulch is boarded up completely from September 15 through May 15....It is a place that is only there for tourists who come to see Denali National Park....And unfortunately, they spend 1-2 days there, go back in the park for 30 miles and miss so very much of the park....

Glitter Gulch is the area outside the park that has some restaurants and shopping and several hotels including Princess and the McKinley Chalets (HAL) as well as others. It is centrally located and has shuttles that go to the park visitor's center where visitors can board busses that go into the park itself as far as Kantishna, join park rangers in hikes, or take a shuttle to see the kennels and the dogs that work in the park.

An informed visitor will go more than 30 miles into the park and will stay at least two nights. National Parks need to have areas for visitors to gather....without these areas visitors would have a much more negative impact on the environment.

Generally correct, but the dates do vary. This year the area didn't close until about September 20th. Next year it will be about a week later. The date is totally dependent on Labor Day and when the shuttle buses into the park stop operating, the road lottery, etc.

Glitter Gulch is the area outside the park that has some restaurants and shopping and several hotels including Princess and the McKinley Chalets (HAL) as well as others. It is centrally located and has shuttles that go to the park visitor's center where visitors can board busses that go into the park itself as far as Kantishna, join park rangers in hikes, or take a shuttle to see the kennels and the dogs that work in the park.

An informed visitor will go more than 30 miles into the park and will stay at least two nights. National Parks need to have areas for visitors to gather....without these areas visitors would have a much more negative impact on the environment.

The park Visitor Center is NOT where the shuttle buses load. The shuttle buses load at the Wilderness Access Center, a different location. The Kennel shuttle does pick up at the Visitor Center.

The park Visitor Center is NOT where the shuttle buses load. The shuttle buses load at the Wilderness Access Center, a different location. The Kennel shuttle does pick up at the Visitor Center.

I did say that the shuttles go to the park visitor's center (including WAC) where visitors can board buses into the park itself. Actually for those who are are on cruisetours that include the TWT or NHT in my experience they have loaded at the McKinley Chalets. We did not have to change buses.

Edited by oaktreerb

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you folks know Alaska so well, I need your help. My DW and I will be doing a 5 night Celebrity cruise tour next July and will be in Denali for 2 nights. The NHT is part of our cruise tour package and I know it is worthless. Therefore, we want to book a park shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center or maybe to Wonder Lake. My question is how could we get from Denali to the WAC to catch the shuttle bus? Is there any transportation available?

AKStafford,

Not yet. I understand that Celebrity might use 3 different places to stay.

Heard it's easy to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, when you meet your guide in your hotel. It's about $79 per person to do so.

What tour number are you on. We are on 5B and I was told it would be the Grand Denali or Denali Park Village, probably Village. They should know for sure about January.

Some of you folks know Alaska so well, I need your help. My DW and I will be doing a 5 night Celebrity cruise tour next July and will be in Denali for 2 nights. The NHT is part of our cruise tour package and I know it is worthless. Therefore, we want to book a park shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center or maybe to Wonder Lake. My question is how could we get from Denali to the WAC to catch the shuttle bus? Is there any transportation available?

- google Denali Salmon Bake; they have a shuttle.

- there is a taxi service. http://www.denalitaxishuttle.com/

- depending on which hotel you might be able to walk; it's about a 30-40 minute walk from Glitter Gulch to the WAC on a flat well worn path. For a ride back to the hotel, chat with your busmates during the ride .... many people on the shuttles are diy travellers so they have a rental car and won't mind taking you a few miles up the road.

- don't wait until you arrive to book the shuttle or you may find that there are no tickets available.