Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

Was iConcierge installed during dry dock? NCL website didn't list the Gem among the vessels who currently have this feature.

Seems there was an earlier message saying it will be active with the GEM's next sailing.

As for iConcierge not being listed for the GEM on the NCL website.... if you look at the NCL website for their cruise ships; GEM doesn't state it was refurbished either.

Wow. I just saw a ton of pictures on social media of the refurbishment. It is absolutely stunning. I loved the Gem before and I think I am going to love it even more now. I can not wait to board in 10 days.

How about a hint on where to find these pictures... Please

Does anyone know how much iConcierge costs? I remember trying it our in Breakaway but I can not remember.

I tried the iconcierge app on my phone before we left port in NYC. But I lock up my phone in the safe while vacationing and the app is not compatible with tablets. I carry my tablet around because it has all my books, games, etc without phone access. :-( Wish NCL would fix the app to run on tablets too!!!

She really is a beautiful ship! Very elegant. I've never sailed her before but from the pictures I have seen it has been greatly improved. Absolutely gorgeous.

Spoke to Carlos, our concierge, for a bit at lunch. Apparently dry dock was a lot of work for everyone! He seems really proud of what they've done.

Walking onto the ship you can smell the new. Fresh carpeting is a very distinct odor. Call me crazy but I love it.

We have a nespresso machine in our suite which my boyfriend has already made good use out of. Also, he was very impressed there is written material in Italian. It was left on the table. I guess seeing he holds an Italian passport and the name kinda gave it away. It was a nice touch and he loved it.

FYI...there was just an announcement that we will be delayed approximately an hour on sail away. So hopefully 5pm instead of 4pm. They're still loading provisions. And even though it wasn't announced we did see furniture actually still being brought on. And really? I've been on vacation since we boarded at noon so I'm not in a hurry!

There also seems to be many new crew members being shown around.

Thugs do seem a but chaotic but everyone is working so hard to get everything done. Agree with the NCL policies or not the crew works their tails off. And they are all so friendly and helpful. Even though they're clearly very busy!

I'll take a bunch of pictures but I can't promise I'll figure out how to post large pics. If I can post a link to a shutterfly album I'll be more then happy to do so when all is said and done.

It looks nice though I'm a little bummed at the lost of the purple gems ceiling. :(

I am loving the pics. It is going to be a whole new ship and of course I am beyond excited for my next Gem cruise. As much as I love the changes and think they were the right way to go...like you I did like the gem ceiling. I don't know why, but I just did! :)

She really is a beautiful ship! Very elegant. I've never sailed her before but from the pictures I have seen it has been greatly improved. Absolutely gorgeous.

Spoke to Carlos, our concierge, for a bit at lunch. Apparently dry dock was a lot of work for everyone! He seems really proud of what they've done.

Walking onto the ship you can smell the new. Fresh carpeting is a very distinct odor. Call me crazy but I love it.

We have a nespresso machine in our suite which my boyfriend has already made good use out of. Also, he was very impressed there is written material in Italian. It was left on the table. I guess seeing he holds an Italian passport and the name kinda gave it away. It was a nice touch and he loved it.

FYI...there was just an announcement that we will be delayed approximately an hour on sail away. So hopefully 5pm instead of 4pm. They're still loading provisions. And even though it wasn't announced we did see furniture actually still being brought on. And really? I've been on vacation since we boarded at noon so I'm not in a hurry!

There also seems to be many new crew members being shown around.

Thugs do seem a but chaotic but everyone is working so hard to get everything done. Agree with the NCL policies or not the crew works their tails off. And they are all so friendly and helpful. Even though they're clearly very busy!

I'll take a bunch of pictures but I can't promise I'll figure out how to post large pics. If I can post a link to a shutterfly album I'll be more then happy to do so when all is said and done.

Thanks for the update, was watching the port cam. You have a perfect attitude! I'm on her next sailing. Enjoy your trip!

Hey Mimmo, Please let me know if your Suite has new furniture. Also if you don't mind what level Suite are you cruising in? We are in a Penthouse Aft Suite in January and they really did need some new furniture and updating. Thanks so much in advance. Enjoy that Expresso machine and breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.icon10.gif

Have a Great Cruiseicon10.gif

Rob

Thanks guys! I am already enjoying it.

Were in an aft penthouse. The tables and chairs look like the old pics I've seen. The new carpeting is obvious no more pink and purple. There is a purplish single chair and cream colored couch. It seems they just did a few cosmetic updates. There's still a vibrant curtain around the bed. The carpeting definitely turns down the circus atmosphere lol not sure if the mattresses are new but my boyfriend is snoring in it as we speak so it can't be that bad.

We sailed the breakaway last and I already like the gem better. Not just because of the suite and perks but prefer the smaller ship. I heard they're full but it hasn't seemed too overwhelming yet.

Everywhere on the breakaway felt crowded.

Loved lunch at Cagneys. Quite. Yes service was slow but they're were still organizing and honestly I enjoy not rushing through. Especially since I'm on vacation.

I rush through my daily life so sitting through a leisurely meal isn't torture.

If we were in a hurry I can see how people wouldn't like it. Saw a few complainers but really not sure what the big deal was.

Mimmo, Enjoy that nice balcony on the Aft. If you don't have chaise lounge chairs on your balcony ask your suite attendant or your butler and they will bring them. It's really nice looking off the back of the ship.

Thanks for the update on the suite.

ENJOY

Rob