GAPearl Goes Solo on the Splendor! 11/1/14 SJU-MIA Repo Cruise Review.

gapearl

Thanks so much! I'm really liking the new camera. My other camera came recommended by a professional photographer friend of mine, so I bought this one without having a chance to do any research or reading any reviews on it. I got lucky and it takes great pictures. I had a great time on the cruise and glad you enjoyed reading about it. :)

Can't wait! Since we're friends elsewhere now, I hope I get a sneak preview before everything gets posted here. Don't forget the monsoon drink in New Orleans. :D

Oh yeah I will definitely be posting pics. A monsoon is on our list for Friday night....we are meeting some friends for dinner at Port of Call

Great review! In regards to the drink coupon, on the Sunshine back in August when we went to brunch the line was so long they were coming out making announcements that you could redeem the coupon anywhere, since it was the last day. The problem with this was the staff at the first bar we went to said not until 1pm, at 1pm when we tried, they then said not until 2pm! Boo, Carnival, get it together or stop passing out the coupons! :rolleyes:

I got the same thing that you got, so you're not the only one. I don't know what this is either. Since I don't know what a toiletry bag is, I started wondering if that's what this was. I've been wondering all along, and trying to figure out what I would use this for. The only platinum gift that I've ever gotten that I have ever used is the soft-sided personal cooler, which I use all the time, even for non-cooler purposes.

I wonder if I might get this on my cruise in 2 weeks. I love the beach bag that was the platinum gift last year. I used it every day on the Splendor.

No, I'm not going on the reunion cruise next year. I have another cruise already booked. Sure whenever your going to Panama inbox me. I was supposed to go to Panama next year to see my family. Trying to get the time from work since I want to stay a month. :)

Sent from my LGMS659 using Forums mobile app

I'm hoping to stay for 2 weeks. That's pretty cool that you have family there. :)

Kim I just wanted to drop by and say I really enjoyed your review, as always!!

I read the part about the free drink coupon for VIFP members and I can not agree with you more!

Our last cruise on the Liberty was our first experience with these coupons and it was horrible. First off, There was a line about 30-40 people deep just to be seated in the dining room for brunch.

Once seated we had a similar experience to you. The waiters seemed very overwhelmed, and I can say I really don't blame them for being so. The service was poor and the drinks took forever to come to the table once ordered. When they did come, the ice that was in them was melty and then then drink was watery because of it. Not a pleasant experience.

My DH and I had the same exact conversation that you brought up. I feel bad for those that had this as their first Carnival experience and what they must be thinking. Because obviously this isn't working. I just assumed since it was newer when we were on our Liberty cruise they just hadn't worked out the issues but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really don't understand why a passenger can't redeem this coupon at any bar they choose on the ship before debarking the ship? I mean a free drink is a free drink?

Needless to say if this is the case on our next cruise we probably won't go back to the brunch or redeem our free drink. It's just not worth it... I have better ways to spend my last day on the ship!

Maybe if enough people start writing in with experiences like these, perhaps the beards will consider changing this policy. It seems service at breakfast and brunch is suffering party due to the coupons. It's a shame we have to go through all that just for a free drink! Oh well, better luck next time I suppose. :rolleyes: Thanks for reading! :)

I'm innocent! Had a blast on the cruise. I'm actually flying to NJ to hangout with one of the girls from the cruise Kim. Going to spend the weekend in NYC.

Great review and hope to see you soon!

You? Innocent? Bwahahahaha!!! :p

That's cool you're heading to NY! I have a feeling I know who she is. ;) Have fun and yes when I'm down in your area we'll have to hang out again.

Hi GaPearl! I loved your review! I had been only once to San Juan ten years ago, when my cruise arrived late, and it was 7pm before we could get off the ship. Tours were cancelled, and it being dark, I travelling solo was afraid to venture too far from the ship, but I did, just a little. I loved San Juan then, and only this past month, got to stop there for a day on the Freedom. Needless to say, I ventured much further than the cruise ship dock this time:)

I absolutely loved Old San Juan, and I know that there is so much more to see and do besides Old San Juan, and I admire you for having the guts to rent a car and drive there, and see so much more of Puerto Rico.

I have a cruise booked for September 2015 on Splendor (Canada, New England) LOL, I am Canadian, and hail originally from the east coast, therefore really wanted to see things back home from a different perspective.

Ever since my recent cruise though....I keep thinking that I should change it for a cruise out of San Juan..... I mean it is driving me nuts. I wake up at night thinking that I should change my plans. Changing plans is still doable, since it is way before final payment.

So thanks for your wonderful review, and for planting the seed in my head about San Juan and Puerto Rico, not to mention the beautiful islands that I would visit on such a cruise.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

Hi Kim! Loved reading your review and reliving the cruise from your perspective!

This is what was posted on the Splendorifics page when I asked if anyone had heard about the people that did the B2B:

"it is true that some were able to do the B2B. However, carnival originally cancelled their NY - SJU cruise and then told them they would pay for their airfare to SJU. BUT, then they realized it would be less costly if they paid the 300.00 pp fine for breaking the Jones Act rather than paying their Airfare to San Juan. SOO, they gave them back the NY - SJU cruise and paid the fine for all 12 that did the B2B."

So I guess that answers that question! :)

As far as the Seaday Brunch, we have never gone to one, but went both days on this cruise. First day wasn't bad. Drinks (ordered with our coupons) came the same time as the food and we were in and out in about an hour. Second day was the mess you experienced. My friend was trying to pay for a drink and they all looked at her like she was nuts! When the bar server finally arrived, he acted like he had never seen the Bloody Mary menu that was on the Brunch menu. Food took longer and we had to ask for drinks, etc. Her drink came before she was done eating, but only because the food was so slow.

I had the pork chop the second day and didn't get any sides with it either. I thought it was odd that all I had on my plate was a pork chop, but I had ordered a side of cheese grits and the table split an order of Funnest French Toast, so I certainly didn't need anything else! :p

Geri

Oh yeah I will definitely be posting pics. A monsoon is on our list for Friday night....we are meeting some friends for dinner at Port of Call

I love Port of Call. Remember to take my friend's advice I wish I had listened to with my first monsoon. SIP SLOOOOOW. I had to learn the hard way that you will have a bad night if you don't! :eek: lol Have a blast! :D

Great review! In regards to the drink coupon, on the Sunshine back in August when we went to brunch the line was so long they were coming out making announcements that you could redeem the coupon anywhere, since it was the last day. The problem with this was the staff at the first bar we went to said not until 1pm, at 1pm when we tried, they then said not until 2pm! Boo, Carnival, get it together or stop passing out the coupons! :rolleyes:

I agree. They have got to get it together. I have seen them open a bar (like the piano bar) during the day just for the coupons. I guess it just depends on what the ship's bar management feels like doing that day. There's no consistency. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. :)

I love Port of Call. Remember to take my friend's advice I wish I had listened to with my first monsoon. SIP SLOOOOOW. I had to learn the hard way that you will have a bad night if you don't! :eek: lol Have a blast! :D

I agree. They have got to get it together. I have seen them open a bar (like the piano bar) during the day just for the coupons. I guess it just depends on what the ship's bar management feels like doing that day. There's no consistency. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. :)

Thanks Kim....I will definitely post some pics of the monsoon for ya.

This is my first time reading one of your reviews, and now I feel like I need to go back and read the others! They are so entertaining. :) It's helping to pass the time between now and our next cruise! Keep up the great work!

Welcome! I'd love for you to read the others. The first few reviews aren't my favorite since I was just figuring out how to make them good, but all of the ones from the last 2 years are pretty awesome. Thanks for stopping by to read and I'm so glad you enjoyed! :)

Did you do a review of your land vacation somewhere? I'd love to read it.

I do but it's a work in progress. I knocked this cruise review out weeks after my trips, but 10 months after Cartagena I'm still not done with it. Soon I hope I'll have it done so I can link it in my signature. :o

Hi GaPearl! I loved your review! I had been only once to San Juan ten years ago, when my cruise arrived late, and it was 7pm before we could get off the ship. Tours were cancelled, and it being dark, I travelling solo was afraid to venture too far from the ship, but I did, just a little. I loved San Juan then, and only this past month, got to stop there for a day on the Freedom. Needless to say, I ventured much further than the cruise ship dock this time:)

I absolutely loved Old San Juan, and I know that there is so much more to see and do besides Old San Juan, and I admire you for having the guts to rent a car and drive there, and see so much more of Puerto Rico.

I have a cruise booked for September 2015 on Splendor (Canada, New England) LOL, I am Canadian, and hail originally from the east coast, therefore really wanted to see things back home from a different perspective.

Ever since my recent cruise though....I keep thinking that I should change it for a cruise out of San Juan..... I mean it is driving me nuts. I wake up at night thinking that I should change my plans. Changing plans is still doable, since it is way before final payment.

So thanks for your wonderful review, and for planting the seed in my head about San Juan and Puerto Rico, not to mention the beautiful islands that I would visit on such a cruise.:)

Puerto Rico is absolutely one of my favorite places. I feel so at home there. There's even more of the island I'd love to see, mainly Culebra. I'd love to spend a few days there just being a beach bum. That's cool you were finally able to make it back and finally enjoy San Juan a little.

Have you never been to any of the stops on your Splendor itinerary? That's certainly a fun way to see Canada! The Canadian cruises have crossed my mind but I don't see myself booking one in the immediate future. Between a Canadian cruise and a cruise from San Juan, I say go for the cruise from San Juan for sure! ;) Be sure to check out my Valor review from 2013. That review has the regular San Juan itinerary. I bet it'll change your mind. lol

Hi Kim! Loved reading your review and reliving the cruise from your perspective!

This is what was posted on the Splendorifics page when I asked if anyone had heard about the people that did the B2B:

"it is true that some were able to do the B2B. However, carnival originally cancelled their NY - SJU cruise and then told them they would pay for their airfare to SJU. BUT, then they realized it would be less costly if they paid the 300.00 pp fine for breaking the Jones Act rather than paying their Airfare to San Juan. SOO, they gave them back the NY - SJU cruise and paid the fine for all 12 that did the B2B."

So I guess that answers that question! :)

As far as the Seaday Brunch, we have never gone to one, but went both days on this cruise. First day wasn't bad. Drinks (ordered with our coupons) came the same time as the food and we were in and out in about an hour. Second day was the mess you experienced. My friend was trying to pay for a drink and they all looked at her like she was nuts! When the bar server finally arrived, he acted like he had never seen the Bloody Mary menu that was on the Brunch menu. Food took longer and we had to ask for drinks, etc. Her drink came before she was done eating, but only because the food was so slow.

I had the pork chop the second day and didn't get any sides with it either. I thought it was odd that all I had on my plate was a pork chop, but I had ordered a side of cheese grits and the table split an order of Funnest French Toast, so I certainly didn't need anything else! :p

Geri

So Carnival paid the Jones Act fine for all those people? Well dang! I had no idea. I see brunch was a mess for everyone. The fries that came with the pork chop weren't the standard fries from lido, but looked like the special fries that are served at Guy's. I love fries and those looked really good. I don't really care for the lido fries all that much.

Thanks for all the nice words Geri! It was so nice meeting you and maybe we'll end up on a cruise together again one day. :)

My vote is for the Breeze, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Will let you know which one we choose. If we choose Magic, Galveston is only a 3 and a half hour drive from where I live. If we choose the Breeze we will fly. Either way, we will have fun. :)

Will let you know which one we choose. If we choose Magic, Galveston is only a 3 and a half hour drive from where I live. If we choose the Breeze we will fly. Either way, we will have fun. :)

I just booked Magic earlier tonight. :D:p:):cool:;)

June 19 here. :D

Hi birthday twin!

Thank you for making me feel like I was on vacation while reading this review.

I also looked for and read the review you did on the Breeze. That one made me even more excited for the mother/son (he's 10) trip coming up in February.

Can't wait to start packing! Wait, gotta go shopping first!

Hi birthday twin!

Thank you for making me feel like I was on vacation while reading this review.

I also looked for and read the review you did on the Breeze. That one made me even more excited for the mother/son (he's 10) trip coming up in February.

Can't wait to start packing! Wait, gotta go shopping first!

Are you a June 19 baby too? Too cool! :D

I have a ton of dresses you can have from all my cruises to save you the time and money shopping lol. Have fun on your upcoming cruise! I'm sure you and your son will have a great time. :)

It is my DREAM to make it on The Amazing Race! Unfortunately I have no one to apply with me. I was going to apply with my friend Jackie (from my Navigator review) but she found out she was pregnant a couple of months before we were going to go to the open casting. Maybe if they had a race for solo travelers. :rolleyes:

Oh my Lord...Kim, you would soooo KILL on "The Amazing Race - Solo Travelers". I would never miss an episode. You oughta suggest it to the network; I swear you'd take top prize!

BTW, I don't do a lot of Carnival cruises, but I discovered your reviews a couple of years ago and they are wonderfully descriptive. I'd enjoy them even without photos. Keep up the great work! :)

The Pinnacle Steakhouse.

ee98c73f-e98e-43d6-954a-18c5f0ad0265_zpsf2a99f74.jpg

483b4baf-ce6a-43aa-8ec1-83d73fc9d3b6_zps4738c7a9.jpg

e4a3c844-50b1-40a8-b12a-a8c041ce13bd_zps2e33efd6.jpg

66a21876-c941-4ec6-845d-1ba4ee64c981_zps6bca9efe.jpg

Kim, I surely hope that the steaks in the Pinnacle are more delicious than that restaurant LOOKS. A bit whimsical and circusy-like for my tastes...LOL! Glad you shared these photos, though. ;)

Kim, I surely hope that the steaks in the Pinnacle are more delicious than that restaurant LOOKS. A bit whimsical and circusy-like for my tastes...LOL! Glad you shared these photos, though. ;)

The steaks were awesome in The Pinnacle Steakhouse. They were worth money. :)

Oh my Lord...Kim, you would soooo KILL on "The Amazing Race - Solo Travelers". I would never miss an episode. You oughta suggest it to the network; I swear you'd take top prize!

BTW, I don't do a lot of Carnival cruises, but I discovered your reviews a couple of years ago and they are wonderfully descriptive. I'd enjoy them even without photos. Keep up the great work! :)

Maybe one day my dream will come true and I'll make it on the show! You know I'll make a huge announcement on here if I ever do. haha :D Thanks for following along with my travels all these years. :)

Some of the tables appeared to be right over the aft lido buffet. It seems like the noise from below could possibly ruin the ambience.

The steaks were awesome in The Pinnacle Steakhouse. They were worth money. :)

Cjdixon you'll have to take her word for it. I have no idea since I don't eat anything on the menu. lol

Hi GAPearl, I just love your reviews and you seem to have a lot of experience when it comes to ports and activities so I am asking for suggestions and/or your opinion. I will be on the Valor out of Port Canaveral in April. The flights are extremely high due to spring break but I found a returning flight that is NS on SW for $191. The problem is that is at 7:30pm. Not sure how to make use of the 8 hours and shuttle issues are a bit confusing. I don't want to just sit in airport, any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by gizmo911

Hi GAPearl, I just love your reviews and you seem to have a lot of experience when it comes to ports and activities so I am asking for suggestions and/or your opinion. I will be on the Valor out of Port Canaveral in April. The flights are extremely high due to spring break but I found a returning flight that is NS on SW for $191. The problem is that is at 7:30pm. Not sure how to make use of the 8 hours and shuttle issues are a bit confusing. I don't want to just sit in airport, any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey there! I'd say check Carnival's excursions to see if they have an airport transfer combined with some sort of tour. They offer this from Miami, where they pick you up from the ship and you can do an airboat tour or spend a few hours on South Beach. They handle your luggage so you don't have to worry about dragging it around and then they take you to the airport. I would think they offer this for Orlando too. A rental car is another idea, but a one way rental from Port Canaveral to MCO can be pricey. Maybe if you could split the cost with someone from your roll call or just luck up on a good deal, this could be an option. Good luck! I hope one of these works for you. :)