GAPearl Goes Solo on the Splendor! 11/1/14 SJU-MIA Repo Cruise Review.

gapearl

OK so I finally finished yet another great GA Pearl review. As always your dresses & shoes are on point. Looks like you had a great time. I agree about the DJ's sucking lately, nightlife was non exsisting on my Sunshine cruise...I actually had more fun on Princess.

Oh and to answer your question...

DSCN8271.JPG

BTW...she has put in a request to cruise with you:D

Teresa

OK so I finally finished yet another great GA Pearl review. As always your dresses & shoes are on point. Looks like you had a great time. I agree about the DJ's sucking lately, nightlife was non exsisting on my Sunshine cruise...I actually had more fun on Princess.

Oh and to answer your question...

DSCN8271.JPG

BTW...she has put in a request to cruise with you:D

Teresa

We've gotta make that request happen one day! :D Create our own party in the nightclub. lol She's just as cute as ever. My next cruise is 5 months away, so I suppose it's time to start shopping now. :o

If you happen to catch that carnival one day sail? and if you happened to book anything today? i was real close but I had to look at my finances and recognize that don't have the money to take 2 cruises this year.

I caught one of the recent sales and got a $220 price drop plus $50 obc for my next cruise. Hopefully the price will keep dropping. :D I haven't booked anything new yet. The next cruise I'm looking at is for January and none of the sales apply to cruises that far out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kim, I just finished your amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to share Your vacation with us. The Travel Channel can really use someone like you to add a little "flava" to that channel. You're gorgeous and you already have the wardrobe and the personality going on. What do you think?:)

Is the waterfall repelling similar to rock climbing? Do you need a lot leg and arm strength to pull yourself up or are they using the ropes to basically pull you up?

Hi Kim, I just finished your amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to share Your vacation with us. The Travel Channel can really use someone like you to add a little "flava" to that channel. You're gorgeous and you already have the wardrobe and the personality going on. What do you think?:)

Is the waterfall repelling similar to rock climbing? Do you need a lot leg and arm strength to pull yourself up or are they using the ropes to basically pull you up?

Awww thank you so much! :) If The Travel Channel came calling to offer me a show, I'd be like hell yeah where am I going first? LOL I've thought about starting my own youtube travel channel but I'm still working on the travel blog. At the rate I'm going it'll be ready for you all to read when I start on my Magic review this summer. haha

I've never been rock climbing so I can't really compare the two. The ropes basically do all the work for you as far as upper body work. You're doing down the waterfall, not pulling yourself up, so your legs will do most of the work. It was a little challenging but nothing I couldn't handle. You should give it a try if you ever have the opportunity.

Thanks again for reading and for all the nice words! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been off CC for a year and just came back recently because we got the cruise itch again. Love catching up on your review and as usual it is fantastic! Thanks for all the time and effort and I am one of those that are 1. waiting for your travel blog, and 2. waiting to see you on Amazing Race! You should have applied for the blind date one that is going on now!

• 2 weeks later...
Also, because so many Americans are afraid of Colombia and because my review will reach so many thousands of people, let me say that my week in Cartagena was the best trip I have ever taken on land or sea! It's an amazing city full of friendly people and rich culture. Don't pass up a cruise with a stop there, or even better if you're looking for an interesting place for a land trip, consider Cartagena. I'd love to see Carnival add Cartagena as a regular stop on the southern Caribbean Aruba/Curacao route in the future.

You are CLEARLY to young to remember ;) but back in the 90s, Cartagena was a regular stop on many Carnival itineraries, including I think those from San Juan. I never went, but some people I know who did said it was not a pleasant place at all. I'm glad things have changed.

Love your review. Sailing on Splendor next month and have been avidly reading yours and Jamman's notes.

Oopsie! Once again I didn't notice my review got bumped up a couple of times recently. :o

I had to read your review after reading Jamman54's on the first part of the repositioning. I so enjoyed reading all the adventures you had on the different islands, especially the rappelling part! Now I'm off to read your past reviews to get my cruise fix! :)

I think Jamman and I made the perfect team reviewing the Splendor repositioning! LOL I'm glad you enjoyed the review. It was definitely a fun cruise. I've got a new review coming soon. :)

I have been off CC for a year and just came back recently because we got the cruise itch again. Love catching up on your review and as usual it is fantastic! Thanks for all the time and effort and I am one of those that are 1. waiting for your travel blog, and 2. waiting to see you on Amazing Race! You should have applied for the blind date one that is going on now!

Awwww thanks so much! I too had been off CC for a good bit of last year and I love being back. The travel blog is coming, hopefully sooner than later.

I wish I had known they were casting singles for this season because I TOTALLY would have applied! They were casting singles for next season also. I sooooo wanted to apply, but if I had been chosen the filming dates would have interfered with my Magic cruise. I wouldn't care if I was cruising solo and had to cancel, but I couldn't do that to my family. Maybe this fall I'll apply. :cool:

You are CLEARLY to young to remember ;) but back in the 90s, Cartagena was a regular stop on many Carnival itineraries, including I think those from San Juan. I never went, but some people I know who did said it was not a pleasant place at all. I'm glad things have changed.

Love your review. Sailing on Splendor next month and have been avidly reading yours and Jamman's notes.

I've met people who went to Cartagena back in the 90's and didn't like it at all. It seems to have changed a lot since then! What's really interesting is that Americans are still scared to go there (I met very few my whole trip), but Europeans flock there in huge numbers. I'm glad to see more flights from the US are being added there, as well as a few more cruise stops. If you do your research and are open minded to a new culture, it's a charming city where you can really have a good time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review. Have fun on your cruise! :)

Edited by gapearl

Great review!!!

Do you have any tips or tricks for boarding in San Juan? I'll be on the June 1st splendor cruise out of PR. I hear they have a place to buy liquor after you check in? Is that still correct?

Thanks.

Hi there! You can get wine bottles or liquor at the CVS across the street. There's also a duty free store there at the port right before you pass through security. What I recommend doing is checking in and getting settled on the ship, then going back out. Take a backpack or tote bag or something with you. The table to drop off your liquor is way down past security, close to the ship's boarding door. After passing through security, simply put your purchase in your bag and skip the table. So easy! :)

Thanks for reading my review and have a great cruise! :D

I've met people who went to Cartagena back in the 90's and didn't like it at all. It seems to have changed a lot since then! What's really interesting is that Americans are still scared to go there (I met very few my whole trip), but Europeans flock there in huge numbers. I'm glad to see more flights from the US are being added there, as well as a few more cruise stops. If you do your research and are open minded to a new culture, it's a charming city where you can really have a good time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review. Have fun on your cruise! :)

I'm putting Cartagena on my list - I love old cities which have preserved at least big parts of their colonial past (New Orleans, St. Augustine, San Juan, <your favorites here>) so I'll make it a point. Besides, who doesn't love emeralds - hello, Colombia!! ;)

Great review, it was really really fun to read! And thanks for doing it, I'm sure it was a ton of work! I agree with exploring Puerto Rico by car, there is so much to do beyond San Juan. It is awesome you did the extreme tour in Dominica.. I love active vacations, and would do that excursion in a heart beat. Too bad more don't get off the boat and beach.. they don't know what they're missing!

I'm putting Cartagena on my list - I love old cities which have preserved at least big parts of their colonial past (New Orleans, St. Augustine, San Juan, <your favorites here>) so I'll make it a point. Besides, who doesn't love emeralds - hello, Colombia!! ;)

Cartagena and Old San Juan remind me a lot of each other. Yes, there are emerald stores EVERYWHERE!

Check this out- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TnrGlhkd3lA

Great review, it was really really fun to read! And thanks for doing it, I'm sure it was a ton of work! I agree with exploring Puerto Rico by car, there is so much to do beyond San Juan. It is awesome you did the extreme tour in Dominica.. I love active vacations, and would do that excursion in a heart beat. Too bad more don't get off the boat and beach.. they don't know what they're missing!

Hey there Lido Larry! Thanks for reading! Yes, a lot of work goes into writing reviews. I'm usually glued to my couch nonstop until they're finished. I have to make it a point to visit the west side of Puerto Rico (Anguilla) as well as Culebra one of these days. I agree with you on that last statement. People should really venture out more when in port!

Kim,

After recently booking a quick little 4 night cruise from New York City to Saint John's, Canada, on the Carnival Splendor, I thought I would read your review from the repo. And I must say that this is my favorite, and I really enjoyed your Breeze review. So much culture and unexplored places in these places. Dominica has always been on my bucket list, and I cannot wait to visit it soon. I wish they had it on more itineraries, ie the southern one from San Juan. Im glad to see that you enjoyed this cruise. You're just like me when it comes to traveling. Yes, beach days are great! but take a local bus,

meet a few locals, go to a restaurant that locals frequent. Culture is such a cool thing to grasp, and I really enjoy culture in the Caribbean. It's a very good vibe coming off of your reviews, and I cannot thank you enough. I was excited for my cruise, now, it's through the roof, and I still have 50 days! But thanks again, I can't wait for the Magic review, but specifically, the Asian review!!! That's such an amazing cruise. My times in Asia has been some of the best times I've ever had and I cannot wait to see it through your eyes!!

Happy cruising!!

What an amazing slide show, Kim! Thanks for sharing it. I see you made lots of friends again, and even a feathered one. :) I'll look forward to your next review.

Heather

Glad you enjoyed it!

Kim,

After recently booking a quick little 4 night cruise from New York City to Saint John's, Canada, on the Carnival Splendor, I thought I would read your review from the repo. And I must say that this is my favorite, and I really enjoyed your Breeze review. So much culture and unexplored places in these places. Dominica has always been on my bucket list, and I cannot wait to visit it soon. I wish they had it on more itineraries, ie the southern one from San Juan. Im glad to see that you enjoyed this cruise. You're just like me when it comes to traveling. Yes, beach days are great! but take a local bus,

meet a few locals, go to a restaurant that locals frequent. Culture is such a cool thing to grasp, and I really enjoy culture in the Caribbean. It's a very good vibe coming off of your reviews, and I cannot thank you enough. I was excited for my cruise, now, it's through the roof, and I still have 50 days! But thanks again, I can't wait for the Magic review, but specifically, the Asian review!!! That's such an amazing cruise. My times in Asia has been some of the best times I've ever had and I cannot wait to see it through your eyes!!

Happy cruising!!

Thanks for reading again! I need to go check out your new review. I've considered taking one of the Canada cruises, but they're just not at the top of my list right now. I'm really into culture. To each is own, but I so don't understand why some people never venture outside of the port area and only hang out at Senor Frogs. That's like going to Paris and eating at McDonald's. LOL I just think that God created this world too big to not see and experience as much of it as you can. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm halfway entertaining the idea of moving to Central America for a year or so. :D My travel books arrived from Amazon for the Mariner cruise. This will be my firt time going to Asia. Time to download some Thai language apps on my ipad and start learning a little vocabulary! :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading again! I need to go check out your new review. I've considered taking one of the Canada cruises, but they're just not at the top of my list right now. I'm really into culture. To each is own, but I so don't understand why some people never venture outside of the port area and only hang out at Senor Frogs. That's like going to Paris and eating at McDonald's. LOL I just think that God created this world too big to not see and experience as much of it as you can. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm halfway entertaining the idea of moving to Central America for a year or so. :D My travel books arrived from Amazon for the Mariner cruise. This will be my firt time going to Asia. Time to download some Thai language apps on my ipad and start learning a little vocabulary! :)

Oh it's okay, I'm just getting to the Sea Day of the Southern route, you haven't missed much. :D

I never thought Canada would be such a cool place, so I always had it on the back burner, until I was planning a land trip to Niagara Falls and the price began to scare me. So, I happened to wander to Carnival's site to play around, and within 2 hours I was booked with a friend. I really enjoy the Canadian Maritimes, they have some really cool attractions. Cannot wait for this cruise, I really booked it for a break (with the same friend from the original!), but the stop in Saint John will be nice too. It's a different atmosphere onboard, but it's pleasurable. You'll get up there someday!

But you're right, I hate seeing people go get wasted at Senor Frogs in places like San Juan and Saint Thomas. Hello?!? El Morro is a 10 minute walk!! A cab only costs $4 into the city!! For all those shots, you could be on an island tour!!! But you're right, to each his own. I know I don't pay all of that money in cruise and flights to get to some of the most culture-rich places on the planet and not go exploring. I had some really great cultural connections on the Southern route, and I will continue to write about it. But that's the real reason I cruise, to connect with cultures.

Speaking of flying, I'm coming to ATL! I wanted to book a Med cruise SOOOOOOOO badly, but I could not deal with the 8 hours stops, and all there was to see. How can I possibly choose between Florence, the Tower of Pisa, or the Cinque Terre (Cinque Terre wins in that race ;))!! So, instead of a 12 night one way from Barcelona to Athens with 3 days in each city before / after, I crafted a 19 night Athens to Rome land trip via Crete, Olympia, Homestay in Sicily, Palermo, and Naples. I cannot wait for my 4 days with a real family in Sicily! But we fly from FCO to ATL, and then ATL to IAD. If I see you, I'll say hi!

Again, you're really going to love Asia. But yes, brush up on your Thai, if you're like me and you like to venture into far-out places, you're going to need it! But again, thanks for the amazing review!! :D

Hi Kim! Nice to see another of your reviews! I'm a little late to the party reading it but I'll get started tonight. The timing of coming across this review is perfect. I board the Splendor on Monday in Norfolk, Va. It will be my first trip on Splendor!

Thanks for taking the time to review the Splendor! Happy Cruising!

Harold

Hi Kim! Nice to see another of your reviews! I'm a little late to the party reading it but I'll get started tonight. The timing of coming across this review is perfect. I board the Splendor on Monday in Norfolk, Va. It will be my first trip on Splendor!

Thanks for taking the time to review the Splendor! Happy Cruising!

Harold

Hope you have a great time, please report back to the boards!! :D

This was our maitre'd, Konstantyne. He serenaded the ladies with his smooth voice tonight. What a handsome, charming, and friendly man he was! He came by to check on all his tables every night.

305b843b-2cd1-4595-a62a-2415c09886c2_zps51dc5bcf.jpg

Our waiters danced to "Low" which is one of my favorites.

5aa4edfb-3193-43a5-b230-a84003991313_zpse209da15.jpg

Me getting low, low, low, low.

63044769-0faf-4325-8239-3d68895a4439_zps1ed4051d.jpg

Georgia Pearl in Vera Wang. Ladies, I'm proof that it really pays off to dig through the clearance racks at Ross. I saved 85% on this designer dress! :)

4d455ecd-b3d0-469b-9b8d-ea176727d4ce_zps64e4bf6d.jpg

There wasn't much happening after dinner tonight. I didn't want to the see show in the theater and judging by the previous two deck parties the one tonight would likely be a dud, so I headed back to my room to get comfortable and do what I do every Thursday night- watch Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder. Well I fell asleep half way through Scandal and woke up half way through HTGAWM. Fail! I was so comfy in my Carnival bathrobe and really wanted to go right back to sleep, but I got dressed and headed out to see if I could find anyone hanging out. No surprise the club was dead again and the ship was quiet. I said hi to Jenna and her crew on the lido and went back to bed 10 minutes later.

What IS this exactly?

2243b39c-8533-4619-b26e-032b2c036047_zps3cd1e8ea.jpg

Up next: The most awesome view of the ship ever.

You rocked that Vera Wang dress!

Well, I got through it all tonight! Great review! OMG it's late gotta go to sleep now!

As always enjoy your travels and take care!

Harold (not the one you had a disagreement with)