Text/IM on ship?

River Coven

So a group of friends are going to be on RC Osais of the seas in January of 2016. We are trying to figure out how to communicate back and forth about the important things; what time to meet at the black jack tables, which bar, and where to eat. Unless RC has a cell tower on board we haven't figured out how to do this. Any suggestions? Thank you

So a group of friends are going to be on RC Osais of the seas in January of 2016. We are trying to figure out how to communicate back and forth about the important things; what time to meet at the black jack tables, which bar, and where to eat. Unless RC has a cell tower on board we haven't figured out how to do this. Any suggestions? Thank you

They do have a cell tower on board. So it's possible. But it's usually an additional fee that your carrier will charge. Mine, for example, does free inbound and $0.50 outbound for international texting.

What we do is get the International Txt Plan on the cell phone (I think that's what it's called and it's unlimited txting) from our carrier (AT&T) for a 30 day minimum period. It is a small charge of $10 each phone.... Make sure that you Disable the internet and turn off Airplane mode.....if you don't (at least on AT&T) you will incur charges for email/facebook etc. that come in even if you don't use them....That happened to us on one of our first cruises. My husband didn't touch his phone unless we were in an port deemed part of our coverage area (part of the US) and we still rec'd a $400 fee! So I had a nice little conversation with AT&T and had them spell out exactly how to go about this since they neglected to tell me about that when I called in the first place. Both hubby and I will get a temporary txt plan for being out of the country (start date and end date).....I can txt him on the ship and find out where is is lounging AND, I can Txt my kids to get an update on things at home. Some ppl buy walkie talkies for keeping in touch, also. I find it easier to carry around my phone.

You tell each other when you're together (usually meals) and make your plans, then! That way, everyone knows when and where to meet, without texting! If you know there's a change of plans, you can leave a message on their cabin phone...no charge for that!

Disregard my message....I just called At&T to get an update on charges and how it works theses days.....They have changed rates and plans . . .$30 for 30 days on shore txting only and $1 a min phone calls - making or receiving. On the ship you do incur additional charges for txting and they are usually not cheap. My rep said they can be as much as $2.50 on board.

Some ppl buy walkie talkies to bring on board. Although it sounds kind of fun....I imagine that it is cumbersome to carry around. Plus I would wonder about the range/distance it would be able to maintain on a ship.

I too, would like to know what ppl do to find each other and stay in touch about plans being made since my txting idea just blew out of the water!