Best Belize excursion-need input

CrewsII

Just wondering, who did you use for the cave tubing? Was it the cruise line? If so, that explains it. I haven't seen any of the normal vendors in Belize linking feet in armpits for a few years.

Some day I plan on making it to Goffs Caye (and Rendezvous Cay as well). I just need more time and money to go back now. :D

Yes, we used the cruise ship for this one since we had a group of 17 and some were really nervous about going that far on an independent tour. It was the only time I have ever booked with the cruise line. We had a much better experience the time before when we booked on our own.

I was really hoping you had a trip planned to Goff's Caye before march, lol! Your reviews are the best! We've done the cave tubing and zip line twice in belize, so that's out. We're not interested in the 2 hour drive one way to see the ruins. I've narrowed it down to Starfish island (aka bannister island) through the ship or Goff's caye with a tour company. Leaning towards goffs caye. We booked little french key for roatan after seeing your review. I'm so excited about that one! :D

Yes, we used the cruise ship for this one since we had a group of 17 and some were really nervous about going that far on an independent tour. It was the only time I have ever booked with the cruise line. We had a much better experience the time before when we booked on our own.

I was really hoping you had a trip planned to Goff's Caye before march, lol! Your reviews are the best! We've done the cave tubing and zip line twice in belize, so that's out. We're not interested in the 2 hour drive one way to see the ruins. I've narrowed it down to Starfish island (aka bannister island) through the ship or Goff's caye with a tour company. Leaning towards goffs caye. We booked little french key for roatan after seeing your review. I'm so excited about that one!

Oh ok, that explains it. I figured it had to be a cruiseship tour if there was anyone out there still linking feet/armpits. :p

Nope, not only do I not have a trip planned to Goff's Caye before March, but I don't have a cruise planned before March either. :D and of course :(.

My next cruise isn't until May 1st and it will be a Bermuda cruise...unless I happen to cancel that one and go during Spring Break. I'm still debating. :cool:

So...if you go to Goffs Caye, you'll have to come back and give ME a review. ;) Filled with pictures of course!!

Have you ever considered the shark ray alley tour? If Belize is too scary for you to do on your own, you can do this with the cruise ship. It's a pretty awesome experience! (Although I wish we would have booked with a private vendor...but still an awesome experience and highly recommended). If you've ever done the stingray sandbar at Grand Cayman, this is kinda the same...but add sharks, dolphins (possible manatees) and who knows what.

Tell Kevah I said hello...tell him I'm the one that does the cc reviews...he'll remember me. Such a nice man.

I've narrowed it down to Starfish island (aka bannister island) through the ship or Goff's caye with a tour company.

Oh, almost forgot, I just figured out the other day that this "new" Starfish Island is the old Bannister Island. LOL I have been to Bannister and I know that it use to get some bad reviews, but honestly, we had a good day there and for the amount of starfish we seen that day, it made it worth it to us. Sakari loved it. Did you read my review on it? I know someone was complaining about no service on another thread, but when we were there before, there wasn't any service. It was just like going to any other beach at home...you hungry or thirsty, you go to the concession stand and purchase it. LOL Just saying... :)

Yes, I read your review of bannister island, aka starfish island. The review about bad service didn't deter me, but there were also a lot of negative reviews on trip advisor. Goff's Caye had better ratings on trip advisor, so I was leaning towards that. The hubby isn't thrilled about a tiny island without chairs or umbrellas though, so I'm keeping the options open. Your review of the sharks and stingrays was really cool!! The only thing that turned me off was the hour and 15 minute boat ride AFTER the tender! Lol!

Yes, I read your review of bannister island, aka starfish island. The review about bad service didn't deter me, but there were also a lot of negative reviews on trip advisor. Goff's Caye had better ratings on trip advisor, so I was leaning towards that. The hubby isn't thrilled about a tiny island without chairs or umbrellas though, so I'm keeping the options open. Your review of the sharks and stingrays was really cool!! The only thing that turned me off was the hour and 15 minute boat ride AFTER the tender! Lol!

I think the idea of a tiny island with nothing there is kinda interesting. I can play Gilligans Island for a day and "rough it". :D I'll definitely try it out some day. I'm up for about anything.

The people that took us over for the shark ray adventure "said" a hour and 15 minutes, but I swear it sure didn't feel like it. I like those type of trips that "can possibly" be long, but yet they keep you so interested that it never seems like it. If you ever did decide to go, make sure you sit in the very front if you can. That way you can hear all of the neat things that tell you as you are passing places. It can be very interesting. :) I think they "estimate" that amount of time to factor in whether or not they are able to spot any dolphins or manatees. If none are spotted, it probably isn't as long. I was more than happy we were able to spot the dolphins swimming and follow them and spend some time there with them. There were plenty of photo opportunities and I think that took up some time. We never felt rushed and they didn't leave until we were all ready. So...idk, maybe it was a little over an hour, but it sure didn't feel like it. :p

We were in Belize last week and did "Sharks, Rays & Island Getaway." We were on the Vision and did it thru their excursions. It was one of the best ship excursions we have ever done - I usually prefer to make arrangements on my own, however after waiting forever for tenders last year in Belize I decided to just book something off of the ship this year.

Assembled in the theatre, they called our group and off we went to the tender, which took us to the port. We then found our group. About 25 of us got on a really nice boat. It was new-not one of those that if you sat in the back you were gagging. And it went pretty fast - 25/30 knots or so. Then we came to the area that has been described above where you look for manatees and dolphins. Saw dolphins, no manatees, then proceeded thru the mangrove area. Slowly. Menu's passed around. We decided we would find something on our own, so didn't order. Then arrived at Caye Caulker for a bathroom break. Total time from Belize port to Caye Caulker was probably 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Then boat took us maybe 3 minutes out. We were split up in 4 groups-just random, not according to skills. There were in 6 in our group and we had an incredible guide. After spending time with the lots of Rays and a few sharks that showed up he took us out to the reef. Spent a lot of time there. Nothing was rushed. We then headed back to the boat and back to Caye Caulker. We had and hour and a half. My family found a vegetarian restaurant-daughter doesn't eat meat or fish-so that's where we went. It was really, really good. Great variety and they did have meat/fish options as well. Don't know the name but as you walked down the dock, go thru the restaurant that everyone else ordered from, go left down the dirt road and it's just a little ways down on your left-it is just past their version of the SPCA. Then, back on the boat for an hour long ride to the Belize port and we had about 45 minutes until the last tender. It was all perfect and a great day.

• 2 weeks later...
We did this a few years back. Cave tubing with Major Tom. Great guy and the tour was fabulous. No need to do a ship tour. This tour is safe.

http://www.cave-tubingdotnet

Thanks for this information - I just spent time on their website and I think I FINALLY have something interesting and fun to do in Belize that will not break the bank. :p