Review: Transatlantic on the Celebrity Quantum

We had 13302 towards the aft of deck 13. We didn't choose it as we were upgraded from an inside GTY.

It was a lovely cabin but the downside was that it was under a galley area of the Windjammer so we were awoken most nights by noise. My husband did go up there at 4.30am to let them know we could hear quite a lot of noise and to be fair to them they were not aware that it could be heard in the cabins below.

It did ease off a bit but then started up again towards the end of the cruise.

For this reason I wouldn't choose a cabin in this area if I was picking my own cabin.

Little Britain,

Thank you for the quick response. We are in 13620, midship thinking under pool area. Usually get early morning chair placement quiet at night. Out of the cabin most of day so no problem. RCL decks plans are not yet complete for deck 14 so can't quite be sure what is exactly above us.

Wonder why RCL says More To Come on deck 14 deck plan. Not like they don;t know what is there and have for a pretty long time.

Thanks,

George in NY

Sparkle,

Thank you for your input as well. We are midship, Little Britain was forward, think the aft area under Market Place would be noisiest.

Funny just looked at cruise critic deck plans and they are more complete that those on RCL itself. I find that very surprising but I was happy to see better plans for us to study.

George in NY

I must say the more I look at Quantum the more I think I am will NOT like the new dining. This is one of the reasons I was happy to read Britain's more level review.

Went and started booking our restaurants yesterday and realized what a pain that actually is, trying to decide in advance what we will be doing and where we will want to eat etc. Can't even imagine trying to coordinate between two or three couples that we often sail with. Also weighing costs, seems to me that takes the vacation out of vacation! Does for me anyway. Ship is going to seem a lot more like being at home, " what do you want to do for dinner tonight dear? " The very reason we have cruised is a fairly mapped out dining and entertainment schedule. But we are trying to maintain open mind by booking and trying it. The check out system and bill at end of reservation didn't help. Want to cruise not shop online :(

But we shall see.

George in NY - in context cruising since 1984 age 64 and 60 cruise all lines, cruise 3 times per year. Quantum will be # 63 number #14 with RCL. Last RCL this Oct Explorer Seas. Never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy, sure this will be no different, but will be surprised if this style will be something I look for.

Edited by Georgeny

George in NY

Honestly we loved the Dynamic dining. There were 3 couples in our party and 2 of us had made reservations online prior to the cruise but it was never a problem to ask for a table for 6 in each venue, we didn't have to wait long either. Plus we were able to make changes to our reservations as we wished while on board without problem although we found it was better to do this directly with the restaurant rather than the buggy Royal I.Q app.

I must say the more I look at Quantum the more I think I am will NOT like the new dining.

George, yes the DD concept is different and will throw many people out of their comfort zone who are used to the same table/same tablemates/same waiter concept; but with My Time Dining becoming more popular since they introduced it several years ago (and boy, do I remember the outcry on CC when RCI announced the introduction of MTD....you would have thought it was the end of the civilized world! :rolleyes:)...but I think on ships now the majority are used to doing MTD and therefore having different waiters etc every night.

DD is a logical extension to this...you now have different restaurants, different cuisines every night. As for booking in advance, yes I did this, but I don't think I would bother again because of the issues where they switched show times and then I had to rebook. I would just either book on board or turn up at a dining room where I fancied dining that night....As I said, the only long line was at Grande every night. I went straight into Silk. I waited about 3 minutes to get into Chic. I hope this helps.

George, yes the DD concept is different and will throw many people out of their comfort zone

Little, Certainly you are correct, does take me out of my comfort zone but more than that as well. I don't mind ATD as long as traditional is also an option, such as on Princess and other RCL ships. NCL only option so no longer sail them despite huge deals in my area. Many regular in my area ( NY Metro ) will no longer sail them despite giveaway prices. I am waiting for two couples I know sailing Getaway Jan 4th to report back.They too are regular cruisers. Took it because of itinerary. But as I do, I digress.

For me it is more making a cruise virtually the same as a land vacation which one exception. Never had a land hotel rock and roll. Land hotel doesn't keep me locked into a specific area. Land hotel room usually far more spacious etc etc. Make cruising the same as land, reaching into pocket every minute, having to coordinate every activity cruisers like myself have to ask why am I in this moving machine in the middle of the ocean? Why am I taking a ship to Disney for 6 hours there after an hour bus ride when I can get a pretty decent accommodation and package for what I am paying on a ship all total?

The ATD is designed to allow line to cut back on dining staff. You will often wait for a table at ATD, then enter to see half dining room empty. Have tables don't have waiters. They have continued to place added duties on wait staff on most lines and eliminated assistant/wine/bar staff. Raises margins but doesn't help the product despite them trying to always portray changes as positives for clients. ( Jet blue adding seats and charging for bags announcement just received email from them telling me how this is good for me BS ) ;)

Yes your information has been and continues to be extremely helpful and I think what I will do is a combination. I will book a couple days based on itinerary. Port Canaveral in example many will be off ship for Disney so entertainment will be minimal no conflicts and we will be staying on ship except for short hop maybe to Coco beach area depending on weather. Xmas will book CHOPS and dress for that, I normally will not book added cost restaurants being against the concept. Will make exception for holiday. Maybe another day or so other wise do as you recommend don't book them at all.

You sound very knowledgeable on cruising in general, are you familiar with the concept " Ship in a Ship ? " We are rapidly approaching that.

George

Edited by Georgeny

George in NY

Honestly we loved the Dynamic dining. There were 3 couples in our party and 2 of us had made reservations online prior to the cruise but it was never a problem to ask for a table for 6 in each venue, we didn't have to wait long either. Plus we were able to make changes to our reservations as we wished while on board without problem although we found it was better to do this directly with the restaurant rather than the buggy Royal I.Q app.

Sparkle, thanks for your input. Though I doubt I will like DD I am taking the cruise next month so I can at least see what it is all about first hand. Maybe I am just getting old and cranky who knows:)

Through the years however I have had some exceptional times with both staff and fellow diners that I have had the pleasure of getting together with every evening. I will miss that, of that I have no doubt. Two couples that we are extremely close friends with for over 20 years stated out as table mates on a cruise. we've shared our homes, watched kids grow up and still cruise almost annually with each other despite being from different parts of the country. I have known Matri-dee's that were once our waiter in years past. I still recall our first waiter in 1984, William, with fondness. I will miss the regular dining if and when it finds itself gone. But like the airlines, it's the share holders not the customers that must be satisfied and motivates many decisions. Difference is sometimes I must fly to get somewhere whereas cruising is not real transportation mode. It is a vacation type that becomes more and more like every other.

George in NY

....First World Problems.....:rolleyes:

That's great!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Maslow's hierarchy is one of the few shrink things I subscribe too ;)

Basically fulfill one need proceed up pyramid to fulfill next. Top of pyramid worry about Ben and Jerry's, say lose your job drop to bottom of pyramid, think where next can of beans coming from ! Human nature...

George in NY

Just finished making my online reservations. I followed suggestions and only made 1st night restaurant, American Icon, figured first evening never that energetic don't want to hunt my food done :) Also Made CHOPS for Xmas dinner, yes I will dress for that even though casual since holiday. The rest we will do day by day I guess. Good advice here heeded!

The interesting part when you check out, first they want ALL my information again despite being logged in to online account and on reservation, name address, email etc. all must be entered. Then charge card number, name on card address again etc. Obviously not only making reservation but also PAYING up front. Went ahead anyway and yes on my card as pending charge in minutes. Received email with reservations all in order.

NOTED on email: You can change or cancel reservations made using our Cruise Planner up until 15-Dec-2014 11:59 PM EST.

All monetary exchanges processed onboard are paid out in U.S. Dollars directly to your SeaPass onboard charge account unless otherwise specified.

Presume that merely means can't do changes online after that, can still do onboard. But note than monetary exchanges will be posted to onboard account. Good gimmick for them. Once I have purchased this dinner they are virtually guaranteed that it must be spent onboard. I just think if they charge my account in advance separately they should refund the same way.

Not a big issue but I was surprised by the advanced payment in full billed separate.

I completely understand your concerns George, we too used to love getting to know our waiters and seeing them again on other ships, also we always requested a large table and made great friends over the years, some of whom were on this Quantum cruise with us, but over the past few years as foodies we have found that sharing a large table often detracts from the dining experience, sometimes you are so busy talking to your tablemates you haven't had time to study the menu by the time the waiter comes to take your order, then you get folks complaining about the food which also spoils the atmosphere, so now we have come to like having a table for 2 when it suits us and dining in different restaurants makes a welcome change and we can appreciate the food and enjoy the ambiance.

All monetary exchanges processed onboard are paid out in U.S. Dollars directly to your SeaPass onboard charge account unless otherwise specified.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. We ALSO have CHOPS reservations on 12/25 (see you there ;) ) - good to know that if something comes up, the cash goes to OBC (not back to the card). Forewarned is better than surprised!

I am a relative newbie to cruising - QUESTION - if we don't use all the OBC does it go away, or would it be available for a future cruise?

We were excited to book a last minute cruise on the Dec 1, 2014 sailing of the Quantum out of New Jersey, now we are a bit concerned. This cruise is still about 10 days away and we decided to see if we could book some of the shows and restaurants prior to our sailing, mind you we have never done that, we always had main dining and never had to worry where we were going to eat, so we were very distressed to see most restaurants are already booked and most shows are already booked. Seems with this new class ship you better book shows and restaurants months in advance. There is no more main dining so if you dont book months ahead it seems you are destined for the Windjammer every night.:confused:

No, you just go to one of the four "main dining rooms" when you want to eat.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Yep, we understand that, the problem is the paid and complimentary restaurants are currently all booked even before the ship leaves the dock. We called Crown $ Anchor and they spent 20 minutes trying to get us reservations...no luck unless we want to eat at 9pm. You have to book early or try to look for cancellations when you get on the ship. Same for the shows like Mama Mia. We'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. :cool:

Yep, we understand that, the problem is the paid and complimentary restaurants are currently all booked even before the ship leaves the dock. We called Crown $ Anchor and they spent 20 minutes trying to get us reservations...no luck unless we want to eat at 9pm. You have to book early or try to look for cancellations when you get on the ship. Same for the shows like Mama Mia. We'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out. :cool:

The restaurants only open some slots for pre-booking from home. so, yes, those are already all taken, but they should have plenty of slots available for booking onboard or for walkups. Folks already onboard were reporting wait times of zero to 15 minutes for walkups to the complementary restaurants.

The shows might be more problematic (though you can probably get in standby if you show up to the theater about 15 minutes before showtime), but there should be plenty of places to eat. :) When you get back, you'll have to let us know how it worked out.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. We ALSO have CHOPS reservations on 12/25 (see you there ;) ) - good to know that if something comes up, the cash goes to OBC (not back to the card). Forewarned is better than surprised!

I am a relative newbie to cruising - QUESTION - if we don't use all the OBC does it go away, or would it be available for a future cruise?

Gumbocc,

The simple general answer, if not used lost.

That said there have been a few cases through my years where the line actually paid it to me in cash during cruise but they were unusual situations. One was a refund for three days lost on a reposition due to Hurricane Sandy. Princess returned three days of fare ( was 10 day I think ) putting it too OBC but also would pay that out to you during the cruise. I would think that this type of refund to a charge might also be offered during cruise. In most people's cases though would be mute issue. Between tips and purchases etc most people do not have left over OBC.

I have also seen when a credit was issued late in cruise due to some circumstance people ran to the stores and just bought whatever they could possibly need rather than let it go.

George in NY

This points out a potential problem, people making multiple just in case reservations. We made three reservations and decide to fight for food :) as needed the rest of the time. You have to wonder how many people, the same people that hold seats at shows for people that don't show, the same people that hold seats all day at pool while they go back to cabins for naps or whatever, make just in case reservations. Doing that for pay restaurants more unlikely simply because you pay at reservation. But complimentary restaurants and shows what stops you from booking each show day and time. Or each person in a group booking a restaurant knowing that adding one can probably be done for the restaurant they actually go to.

I did check switching my Chops reservation time for Dec 20 th sailing and was surprised that an hour before all the times were available, then on one time left. I left my time in place.

I can see a major problem, that also occurs with anytime dining, of those days when everyone wants to dine at same time. In example, a port day when many are off ship but all return before sailing and want to dine an hour after sailing. Clean up and hit dinner.

Again I guess time will tell. In meantime it would bother me to have a cruise scheduled and have no idea when and where I will be able to eat. Bad enough with anytime ( which honestly is anytime THEY have a table available ) the when, now add a where.

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny

Re: multiple reservations - I haven't been able to make a reservation near the same time as one I already have without cancelling the first, so I don't think it's the case that multiple reservations will be eating up all the time.