How would i get to anchorage

ThePriceO'Mince

Depends on where the cruise leaves from. You can take a train from Anchorage to Seward if that's where the cruise leaves from. It is a beautiful ride

If you are doing a combo cruise land tour they should include the transfers.

Anchorage is quite a distance from Vancouver. Why wouldn't you fly into Anchorage and out of Vancouver after the cruise.

You can fly one way from Vancouver to Anchorage, Alaskan air is a good airline or there are many others.

Also. This is an awesome itinerary. I have been to Alaska two times once on a cruise tour like yours and once on my own backpacking using the ferry system to get around and trains and buses in the interior. You really miss a lot of the real Alaska if you don't stray from the tourist inside passage route.

You don't want to fly INTO Vancouver, you need to fly INTO Anchorage, then you will be on a coach or train to Denali and on to Seward to board your ship and sail Southbound to Vancouver. You need to fly OUT OF Vancouver home.

Flying is the only timely choice, as driving time is estimated to be 46 hours on the Alaska Highway. The alternative would be to take ferries up the coast, taking about 4-5 days, plus connecting times at either end to the ferry terminals which are quite a distance outside of each city. The ferry adventure would be great, but would be basically tracing the same route as the cruise.

Robin

I'm wondering if the OP does not realize Vancouver is in Canada and the end of their itinerary.... And Anchorage is almost 2200 miles away in Alaska! Alaska Airlines has flights leaving for Anchorage about every hour out of Seatttle, train station is in the airport if you want to hop the train immediately for Seward.... This train trip is one of the most Scenic and memorable. I loved the train vs a bus!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Where are you flying from? Your Profile does not indicate if you are from Europe, the U.S. Or Canada??? Or somewhere else?

It would be helpful to complete your profile so we can give more appropriate advice.

In looking at flight schedules out of Vancouver to Anchorage all the flights I saw fly to Seattle from Vancouver and then to Anchorage. Cost of flights is running about $760 - $800 US on Alaska Airlines or Delta.

OP, if you are from the Vancouver area, take the train or QuickShuttle to Seattle and fly from there to Anchorage. The one-way price during the month of June ranges between $145 - $250 per person. It is much cheaper than flying out of Vancouver.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

According to one of the OP 5 posts, I believe he/she lives in the Middle East! There has got to be a better way for the OP to get to Anchorage.

Thinking round trip Seattle might be a better option and then take a shuttle thru the cruise line from Vancouver to Seattle at the end of the cruise. JMHO

Edited by nana541

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its much appreciated.

One of the NCL trips I was considering starts in Anchorage as a land trip prior to going on board. So I would have to get to Anchorage first. It seems a long way after a 17 hour non stop flight from home. I think I will stick to the 10 day one from Seattle as an introduction to that part of the world.

I would however have loved to do it by Train, my favourite form of Transport.

Edited by ThePriceO'Mince

If you fly to Seattle from there it's just another 3 1/2 hrs to Anchorage and those flights leave hourly. You won't regret doing it! A beautiful part of the world....my family lives in Alaska and I still think an Alaska cruise is my favorite!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its much appreciated.

One of the NCL trips I was considering starts in Anchorage as a land trip prior to going on board. So I would have to get to Anchorage first. It seems a long way after a 17 hour non stop flight from home. I think I will stick to the 10 day one from Seattle as an introduction to that part of the world.

I would however have loved to do it by Train' date=' my favourite form of Transport.[/quote']

So what you need to do is add in an extra few days at the beginning of your trip so you can adjust and stay in Seattle and explore there! It will be a great way to get over any jet lag so you're not dealing with that on the first leg of the tour.

We did a very similar tour with Princess. We flew into anchorage and flew out of vancouver. The flights weren't priced outrageously. By far the BEST vacation we've every taken, I highly recommend flying on to a glacier from Talkeetna (using K2 Aviation). It is the most surreal experience....