Eastbound crossing review

jomf

There was one other item that let the cruise down and that was the cream at the Queens Court afternoon tea. There was no clotted cream and when I asked for some in place of the whipped rubbish they supplied all I got was more of the same!!

QM2 pretents to be a British ship. In fact it is a Carnival ship aimed at the US market - fake British like anything pseudo ethnic in the US.

There is almost no British influence in the ships management, even the Commodore originates from a prison island on the other end of the world.

If QM2 is aimed at the US market, Cunard's aim is way off. I have not seen any print or heard any radio ads for a Cunard ship where I live. The overwhelming number of voyages/cruises sail from Europe, not the US. On most of the QM2 voyages I have taken, the majority of passengers were from the UK (exceptions being the so-called 4th of July cruise that isn't happening in 2015 and some of the Caribbean cruises that were discontinued years ago).

Regarding Commodore Rynd, he served eight years as a reserve officer in the British Royal Navy and gained his qualification as Master in London in 1979.

My understanding is that the headquarters for Cunard is in Southampton.

So for those reasons, I disagree with you that QM2 is aimed at the US market, and disagree that there is "almost no British influence in the ships management". -S.

There was one other item that let the cruise down and that was the cream at the Queens Court afternoon tea. There was no clotted cream and when I asked for some in place of the whipped rubbish they supplied all I got was more of the same!!

It's been often mentioned here. The Queens Room has some kind of yellow glop. The Grills get served Devenshire Cream. No clotted cream, even on voyages sailing out of Southampton.

One reason I was questing your remarks about the food and stateroom condition was that it was very different from the review written for the previous voyage - Oct 16th-28th. Makes me wonder how things can slide so quickly. Maybe it's just a matter of different backgrounds for comparison.

If QM2 is aimed at the US market, Cunard's aim is way off. I have not seen any print or heard any radio ads for a Cunard ship where I live. The overwhelming number of voyages/cruises sail from Europe, not the US. On most of the QM2 voyages I have taken, the majority of passengers were from the UK (exceptions being the so-called 4th of July cruise that isn't happening in 2015 and some of the Caribbean cruises that were discontinued years ago).

Regarding Commodore Rynd, he served eight years as a reserve officer in the British Royal Navy and gained his qualification as Master in London in 1979.

So for those reasons, I disagree with you that QM2 is aimed at the US market, and disagree that there is "almost no British influence in the ships management". -S.

CUNARD is only a Brand of Carnival Cruises. The Carnival House at Southampton houses a branch of Carnival including few employees assigned to manage the brand CUNARD. That is all.

Obviously Commodore Rynd is as British as I am.

It's all fake British, but most passengers including DW and me still like it.

I have been on many cruises and TAs on CUNARD ships within the last 9 years where mostly Europeans (including British) where a small minority.

Well, the decisive point is money, what else? QM2 and most probably the rest of the Cunard cruise ships are registered in Bermuda because they enjoy tax advantages, and for no other reason! In addition, Carnival has the majority of Cunard (and other) actions and it is Carnival who defines the sales and public relations policy, perhaps in consultation with Cunard, but it is Carnival who has the last word to say when it comes to important decisions. This is the way all multinational companies are acting. They look for the best way to make profit and this in a global world. What is true is that Cunard ships have a British image, but not if you take a closer look at it.

CUNARD is only a Brand of Carnival Cruises. The Carnival House at Southampton houses a branch of Carnival including few employees assigned to manage the brand CUNARD. That is all.

Obviously Commodore Rynd is as British as I am.

It's all fake British, but most passengers including DW and me still like it.

I have been on many cruises and TAs on CUNARD ships within the last 9 years where mostly Europeans (including British) where a small minority.

Does that mean that you served in the British Royal Navy as did Commodore Rynd?

An unsolved issue for years now. I havn't tried the QR tea service since 2008. In the QL we had clotted cream on some days.

Does that mean that you served in the British Royal Navy as did Commodore Rynd?

I excuse for answering a comment which is not addressed to me. So, looking at Commodore Rynd's CV, I would say that he is a world citizen with English mother tongue who was born in New Zealand. The fact that people work for Cunard does not necessarily mean that they are British. Most of the staff is not.

I excuse for answering a comment which is not addressed to me. So, looking at Commodore Rynd's CV, I would say that he is a world citizen with English mother tongue who was born in New Zealand. The fact that people work for Cunard does not necessarily mean that they are British. Most of the staff is not.

The Commodore should not be a subject of this discussion. He is not to take the blame for the lack of clotted cream on QM2.

It's been often mentioned here. The Queens Room has some kind of yellow glop. The Grills get served Devenshire Cream. No clotted cream, even on voyages sailing out of Southampton.

One reason I was questing your remarks about the food and stateroom condition was that it was very different from the review written for the previous voyage - Oct 16th-28th. Makes me wonder how things can slide so quickly. Maybe it's just a matter of different backgrounds for comparison.

We eat at top class restaurants and stay in good hotels. We expect the cruise line to match these standards, the price is comparable.

If we, as passengers, are expected to conform to certain standards then so should the cruise line!

I have sailed on QM2 just once on one of the much maligned TAs originating in Hamburg, although we embarked in Southampton.

I've been amazed to see how people on the same ship, even on the same trip can have two completely different experiences - but that's travel for you.

I wouldn't normally comment in a thread like this one as I believe the OP has every right to describe the experience as he/she found it.

I will however say that I would expect the fare to be much higher if the MDR were to provide "fine dining" rather than the (to me perfectly acceptable) function centre catering quality food that it serves.

We were in Brittania Club so admittedly perhaps the service was a little better than in the main restaurant, simply due to the flexible time dining.

The QM2 segment of our 7 week Europe/US trip was the lowest cost section by far.

We eat at top class restaurants and stay in good hotels. We expect the cruise line to match these standards, the price is comparable.

If we, as passengers, are expected to conform to certain standards then so should the cruise line!

Doubtful on price unless you are in the Grills.

Doubtful on price unless you are in the Grills.

I can eat in my local Michelin starred restaurant, three courses, coffee and amazing service for £50, less if I choose the cheaper dishes. Considering the fare was over £150 per day, not including tips, I would hope the meal should be comparable.

Cunard themselves offer "Each and every evening at sea offers fine dining".

So I feel right in being aggrieved that Cunard did not deliver what they had advertised.

No doubt if you book late and get a cheap deal then the food etc is great but when you sell a trip as amazing it should be just so!

There is a central error in your calculation.

The costs for a trip include transport, upstandard accomodation - each stateroom is much larger than the standard on most other lines - all meals served by white linen service plus a generally higher standard of trained staff.

Now compare a business class flight plus 7 nights in a 4* Hotel plus adequate meals to a TA...

I

As the saying goes "if you believe that you will believe anything"

But £100 to cover transport, all other meals, entertainment, admin etc and profit for Cunard?

David.

As the saying goes "if you believe that you will believe anything".

It is not only a question of belief. It depends very much on the individual lifestyle and expectations.

I.e. for an average familiy in the US even the buffet in KC may well be "fine dining" as their daily meal will be less variable over the year. For someone who dines frequently at highly recommended restaurants the view will certainly differ.

I would not dare to expect Atsushi Tanaka to prepare a meal for 2 sessions in BR, not even in QG. Just imagine the complaints from the US passengers on his portion sizes...

Cunard has to compromise - and does this in an acceptable manner. I hope very much that they will decide on ther top speciality restaurants and move them to Europen Cuisine franchise, away from the boring uptown US bull**** menues, adressed to people who don't even know how to deal with the cutlery but loving to show off their timed wealth.

Edited by cunardaddict

Has anyone actually worked out how much we are paying for meals on Cunard.That is the real judge of value.I paid £84 for a 3 course meal for two,including wine and coffee,at my local pub earlier this week.

It is possible to get a Cunard cruise for under £75 per person per night in November in a balcony cabin.Therefore £150 per night per couple.How much would a standard UK Bed & Breakfast cost ?........say £80/100per night per couple.Add on £20 per person for coffees,snacks & lunch plus another £10 per niight for entertainment and you are already up to something approaching £150 per night.This makes the cost of a dinner and the fact that you are being transported to half a dozen different countries totally free !!!!! It is a complete bargain and if I have to put up with the odd duff meal or the odd person I don't like or doesn't smile at me then I am still more than happy

Has anyone actually worked out how much we are paying for meals on Cunard.y

Without inside knowledge it can't be done, but I suspect the bean counters have got the meal budget down to almost prison meals levels.

I agree with you but wish Cunard would drop this "fine dining" thing. OK you don't starve, but neither do the inhabitants of HMP or most other countries.

David.

There is a central error in your calculation.

The costs for a trip include transport, upstandard accomodation - each stateroom is much larger than the standard on most other lines - all meals served by white linen service plus a generally higher standard of trained staff.

Now compare a business class flight plus 7 nights in a 4* Hotel plus adequate meals to a TA...

The room was the same size as other cruise lines ( and smaller than the normal hotel room). Definately not upscale. In need of a refurb.

The restaurant staff were not as good as most restaurants we go to. Taking dishes away before we were finished, bringing other courses before the previous course was eaten. No wine service to speak of ( one glass, no offer of dessert wine/port).

I had expected Cunard to be better than Celebrity, Princess, P & O etc, they were not.

Regarding the restaurant and the serving and taking away of courses, did this happen at all meals or just at dinner with the same waiter?

This only happened at dinner, second sitting. We tried a couple of times to say something but it didn't sink in. We had a great time with our table companions and none of us wanted to make a fuss. (typical English!).

Breakfast in the dining room was good. We ate lunch in the pub ( great steak pudding!).

I can eat in my local Michelin starred restaurant, three courses, coffee and amazing service for £50, less if I choose the cheaper dishes. Considering the fare was over £150 per day, not including tips, I would hope the meal should be comparable.

So I feel right in being aggrieved that Cunard did not deliver what they had advertised.

No doubt if you book late and get a cheap deal then the food etc is great but when you sell a trip as amazing it should be just so!

Ok, so how much was the hotel night? and the transportation? You can barely get a hotel for 150 pounds let alone transportation and food. sorry, doesn't add up