Seeing the French side

DevonianCruiser

It might be a little slower then a cab, but it's much cheaper and it's also nice to ride with locals and see how they travel around. I did the same in Antigua.

It's from downtown Philipsburg at "Backstreet"; there is not really a busstopp but you just go to this street and wait till a bus (which are mini vans) shows up and then you wave. I got mine within a minute. The Vans have licence plate with "bus" on it and a cartboard sign with "Marigot". The ride costs 2 Dollars each way per person and they tell you when your there, as Marigot is their terminal stopp. In Marigot it's way easier to get back as at their mainstreet they have a proper Busstop, where about every 10 minutes a van shows up!

I was just once in St.Maarten and the only three places I''ve been to so far was Marigot, Maho-Beach and Philippsburg, so I cannot tell you if there is more to see and do.

Great info. Thank you. I have been wondering about this as I would like to go to Marigot but not on an excursions. Excursions limit my time there too much. Will have to try out the public bus system. We have used the public bus in Aruba before and it works great. Thanks again.

If you like to save money, public bus are easy and a very nice way to explore Marigot and Maho-Beach in one day.

We went by foot to Downtown Philipsburg and on Back Street the first bus pulled up and asked us where we wanted to go (the bus was marked Mullet), we were three people and told him Marigot and as he was empty he changed the card board and of we went.

The same thing happend in Marigot, but there was another couple so we were 5. Normally there is no bus direct from Marigot to Maho, but at the bus stop there were two buses filling up, both marked for Philipsburg. In the second there were only one couple (tourists as well) and as the driver saw that we five wanted to go to Maho, he told the other couple to change to the other bus and took us 5 to Mahobeach.

So the total-transportation-cost for us three for this day was 18 US !

Philipsburg- Marigot-Maho-Beach-Philipsburg !!!

How did you get back to Philispburg from Maho Beach? Did the driver of the bus wait for you to view a plane landing? You did exactly what we want to do when we are this in April.

How did you get back to Philispburg from Maho Beach? Did the driver of the bus wait for you to view a plane landing? You did exactly what we want to do when we are this in April.

No, there is a roundabout right at Maho-Beach (on the opposite side of Sunside Bar), where we got off the bus and that's where we just went back and caught the next bus, you probably never wait more than 10 minutes (i did it already in March, when I was alone). (we spent 2 hours at Maho-Beach; bus-drivers don't wait for nobody)

No, there is a roundabout right at Maho-Beach (on the opposite side of Sunside Bar), where we got off the bus and that's where we just went back and caught the next bus, you probably never wait more than 10 minutes (i did it already in March, when I was alone). (we spent 2 hours at Maho-Beach; bus-drivers don't wait for nobody)

We are there from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm so should have lots of time to do this.

Thanks a million

There is a 4.5 hour tour (Viator) which will leave from the port at 10:00 am and go to the French side, two beaches, Marigot, Grand Case and Maho for $43.99 the day we are in port. They guarantee return to ship on time to sail.

If we would not be sailing that day I would be up to the taking of the regular buses but would be worried about the traffic and would not enjoy the day. Thinking seriously of this tour instead. Anyone ever take it?

I dont think that 4.5 hours is enough time for this itinerary. I'm thinking that they probably will start with Maho and get there at 10:30 which is on the early side for Maho. If you stay for 45 minutes and leave at 11:15 and say get to Marigot at 11:45 and stay 1 hour that takes you to 12:45. By the time that you get out of Marigot and to Grand Case it's 1:15 already. That leaves you 30 minutes in Grand Case at the very most as it takes 45 minutes to get from Grand Case to the ship.

A taxi for two would be roughly $80 for this itinerary. These are all touristy places so getting taxis should not be an issue and you could spend longer at each stop if you would like.

I dont think that 4.5 hours is enough time for this itinerary. I'm thinking that they probably will start with Maho and get there at 10:30 which is on the early side for Maho. If you stay for 45 minutes and leave at 11:15 and say get to Marigot at 11:45 and stay 1 hour that takes you to 12:45. By the time that you get out of Marigot and to Grand Case it's 1:15 already. That leaves you 30 minutes in Grand Case at the very most as it takes 45 minutes to get from Grand Case to the ship.

A taxi for two would be roughly $80 for this itinerary. These are all touristy places so getting taxis should not be an issue and you could spend longer at each stop if you would like.

So are you suggesting getting a taxi and having them take you to these places and wait, or use a different one for each leg? I'm concerned about being stuck somewhere waiting for a taxi -- that would be even worse than getting back late because I was driving.

I've rented a car in the past when we've visited St. Maarten but would rather have someone else worry about getting me back to the ship this time. I don't really care about the beach. I was thinking of maybe starting in Philipsburg and then going to Grand Case for lunch, Marigot for shopping and pastries and then Maho for the planes. I was thinking of maybe getting a cab in Philipsburg after shopping to take me around for the rest of the day. How much is that likely to cost? Will I find an available cab there willing to do the tour?