Traveling with a 6 months(almost 7months) on Oasis

weicool

Hi Everyone,

Enjoying all the little tidbids I've gotten from you all on this forum. My wife and I will be cruising on Oasis of the Seas on an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary in January with our 6 month old (almost 7 months old) by the time of sailing. I just wanted to solicit any tips from parents who have cruised with infants, particularly out of Ft. Lauderdale and on the OOS. We are not first time cruisers but this will be our first time with our first baby. We are kind of nervous about this trip so any tips would be appreciated. If anyone is wondering why would we take a 6 months old on a cruise, this cruise is destination wedding for a very dear friend. Thanks in advance.

I have not yet cruised with my kids (but will be in a few short weeks). Our youngest will be 19 months.

I do have a lot experience with taking 6 month olds every where since we have 6 kids and the little ones sure have been dragged around.

My biggest suggestions is to make sure you have any security items that the baby may like/need. Of course all the of the diapers/wipes/swim diapers/baby food or formula that you may need. If your wife is nursing, bring a pump so she can express and give the baby milk in bottles if you choose to leave the baby in the nursery. I think traveling with frozen BM on a cruise would be a challenge b/c the refrigerator doesn't get cold.

Bring a small fold up umbrella stroller and a baby carrier. We plan to bring our Mac Quest and an Ergo for those times when baby needs to be lulled to sleep or we need to be hands free.

You may or may not be able to fit a pack N play in your room. I'm assuming a 6 month old is rolling, so letting the baby sleep on the bed might not be a good idea. I have heard of people turning the sofa around in the cabin to block a baby from falling out but I have not tried to move a sofa in a ship cabin. I will be trying it out on our upcoming Allure cruise, so I can let you know how it goes...

There is a family cruising section on CC and if you search for traveling with an infant (on here or Google) you should find lots of good info.

FWIW, some people may think it's crazy to bring kids on a cruise but I saw plenty of little ones our cruises. Cruising kid free is fun, cruising with kids is a different type of fun, but also fun.

First off, the most important thing to know is that you will be perfectly fine and have a great time. Our little guys have been on several cruises, with my oldest son's first one when he was 7 months old. He actually has as many cruise points as my DH and he's only 3 LOL!! Cruising has become our go-to family vacation while they are this young simply because its so convenient and family friendly.

Oasis (or Allure) are by far the best possible options out there for cruising with little ones. Between the toy lending program, the playroom, the Baby Splash pool, the Boardwalk area and the nursery you couldn't ask for a better ship.

The big thing to be aware of is simply that you will pretty much double your number of suitcases just because of the amount of stuff you will need to bring for a baby (LOTS of diapers, wipes, bottles, swimmies, extra clothes, stroller, carseat, etc., etc., etc.) So if you are flying it is important to realize that going in as the bag fees can really set you back. For that reason we always try to fly Southwest simply because of the free baggage allowance.

There are several comprehensive packing lists and tips available on the Family Cruise forum, which is a fantastic resource for researching all things cruising with kids related. I am also more than happy to share my personal packing list as well if you want to PM me, but I am a serious overpacker and over planner so be forewarned. ;)

The 2 things that will come in more handy than anything for you are a baby carrier (Ergo, Bjorn, etc.) and an umbrella or small stroller. Think narrow and compact, but if it can lay relatively flat for naps on the go you will be much better off. There is so much to see just walking around the ship that your little one will be thrilled just to ride around in his carrier and observe everything.

As far as the pack n play - no worries about bringing one. Just tell RCCL that you will need one and they will set one up for you in the room. Carnival does the same but uses these compact metal cribs that I'm not too fond of. RCCL uses actual pack n plays. We like to bring our own PnP sheets but you don't have to...

At this point we have been on both Oasis and Allure and have done both of the different itineraries. So, I am happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can.

Steph

• 4 months later...
First off, the most important thing to know is that you will be perfectly fine and have a great time. Our little guys have been on several cruises, with my oldest son's first one when he was 7 months old. He actually has as many cruise points as my DH and he's only 3 LOL!! Cruising has become our go-to family vacation while they are this young simply because its so convenient and family friendly.

Oasis (or Allure) are by far the best possible options out there for cruising with little ones. Between the toy lending program, the playroom, the Baby Splash pool, the Boardwalk area and the nursery you couldn't ask for a better ship.

The big thing to be aware of is simply that you will pretty much double your number of suitcases just because of the amount of stuff you will need to bring for a baby (LOTS of diapers, wipes, bottles, swimmies, extra clothes, stroller, carseat, etc., etc., etc.) So if you are flying it is important to realize that going in as the bag fees can really set you back. For that reason we always try to fly Southwest simply because of the free baggage allowance.

There are several comprehensive packing lists and tips available on the Family Cruise forum, which is a fantastic resource for researching all things cruising with kids related. I am also more than happy to share my personal packing list as well if you want to PM me, but I am a serious overpacker and over planner so be forewarned. ;)

The 2 things that will come in more handy than anything for you are a baby carrier (Ergo, Bjorn, etc.) and an umbrella or small stroller. Think narrow and compact, but if it can lay relatively flat for naps on the go you will be much better off. There is so much to see just walking around the ship that your little one will be thrilled just to ride around in his carrier and observe everything.

As far as the pack n play - no worries about bringing one. Just tell RCCL that you will need one and they will set one up for you in the room. Carnival does the same but uses these compact metal cribs that I'm not too fond of. RCCL uses actual pack n plays. We like to bring our own PnP sheets but you don't have to...

At this point we have been on both Oasis and Allure and have done both of the different itineraries. So, I am happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can.

Steph

Hi Steph we will be going on Allure next May with my daughter and her 18 mos old. Rccl says they will provide a pack and play, that being said where in the room does it fit? My DD and SIL are going to be in a Central Park balcony room, and looking at the picture I can't figure out where they would put the pnp? And help would be great. Thanks in advance

Deb

We havent yet traveled with our litte one, but will be going in November when she will be 20 months. Some suggestions that I have seen on here are:

Get a room with a balcony if you can afford it. It will make it much more enjoyable for you while the baby is napping. You will be able to go out there and relax watching the ocean, or people watch if you have a central park/boardwalk room. I hear that central park is really nice and usually quiet and sometimes has some classical type music playing at times.

If you are flying one way to save on space is to leave the diapers/wipes home and go out to a local store in FLL once you arrive. This will save on paying for the additional bags. You can also just toss any unused ones out that don’t fit in your luggage afterward if you wanted to save on space. It is probably cheaper to do it that way than pay the additional.

As someone mentioned they do have a toy exchange on the ship.

Go to the nursery first thing if you want to use it during the cruise in order to book the times that you want. They will give each child a set amount of time at the start of the cruise depending on how many nursery aged kids there are during that sailing. Then later in the week they release additional times later based on usage.

Bring any medicines that you think that you may need along with a note listing what the proper dosages for your child at the time are.

For the couple weeks before the cruise keep track of how many diapers & wipes that your child uses and I would say to bring at least 50% more than that.

A baby carrier will come in really handy, especially for wearing while the child sleeps and you want to be out and about.

I just cruised with DD and 2 Grandsons (4 yrs. and 10 mo). First of all, the staff is fantastic and will go out of their way to help. Be prepared for LOTS of attention. :)

We liked having our own P&P sheets. One of the best things, pertaining to babies, I have ever read on these boards was to bring a lightweight shower curtain and magnets with hooks. The magnets will attach to the ceiling, hang the curtain and voila... Some privacy and baby won't see you moving around, won't be involved with TV...

We had a 2 bdr cabin so didn't make use of that tidbit... But I love the clever idea that another cruiser contributed. She said it worked perfect. There was a picture of it somewhere around here.

Hi Steph we will be going on Allure next May with my daughter and her 18 mos old. Rccl says they will provide a pack and play, that being said where in the room does it fit? My DD and SIL are going to be in a Central Park balcony room, and looking at the picture I can't figure out where they would put the pnp? And help would be great. Thanks in advance

Deb

Merc,

I traveled with my daughter in Pack'n'Play age twice (once at 9 months, and again around 14 months). The Pack'n'Play was always placed and arranged (sheets that made it comfy and homie, extra sheets for use as needed, etc.) by the stateroom attendant at the same time that he arranged ours before the end of the day. It was always placed right around where your "center table" is, in front of your couch. I can't remember exactly what we did with that little table, but we might have put it away in the closet, or something like that.

Just know that the P'n'P will fit, it may be tight, but it will be okay.

And like others have said, the most important thing about cruising with such a young baby is knowing that you WILL have a great time. I think the best way to ensure that you have a good time is having realistic expectations, and making sure that you take everything at the right pace.

Wow. So I'm impressed so far. I haven't seen a single "leave the kids with grandma," or "I don't want kids on my cruise," or "you don't want to being babies on a cruise" comments here. Seems to be a miraculous event.

At any rate, we're cruising with our 19 month old, and we had taken our oldest on a cruise when he was 10 months old. We had a great time. Nap times were a bit rough trying to deal with, as his schedule was thrown off, but it all worked out, and he had a great time too!

Merc,

We sailed on the oasis back in November 2014, and had friends with adjoining cabins that traveled with an 18 month old. The PNP will be set in middle of the room. Your room attendant will fold it up when they clean your room if you want. Besides being the best room steward in all our cruises, Maria ( former school teacher) did go out of the way to give extra attention to us because of the little one. You will spend a lot of time around in the boardwalk ride the merry go around and playing on the kid friendly toys. RCCL has a great child care program for kids under 2 years of age.

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful suggestions. This will make my daughter feel much better. I knew I could count on the great people on cruise critics!!!!

Edited by Merc

Great info on this thread. Getting ready to travel with a 4 year old and 20 month old. For those of you who've traveled with little ones, what's been your plan / strategy for getting to the port (or pre-cruise hotel) from FLL? I understand cabs won't take you without a car seat.

Note: Not interested in opinions on car seats, just experiences from what others have done.

Thanks!

Wow. So I'm impressed so far. I haven't seen a single "leave the kids with grandma," or "I don't want kids on my cruise," or "you don't want to being babies on a cruise" comments here. Seems to be a miraculous event.

At any rate, we're cruising with our 19 month old, and we had taken our oldest on a cruise when he was 10 months old. We had a great time. Nap times were a bit rough trying to deal with, as his schedule was thrown off, but it all worked out, and he had a great time too!

there all in bed, when you posted this.. give them time. hahaha

my son and daughter have been cruising since they were both 6/7 months old. we brought our own Pack and Play which was is a pain, but thats what my wife wanted to do, lol.. we've had nothing but good experiences cruising with them. I never went out of FLL so can't help you there.

Car seats are now the law in FL and the taxi won't take you from the airport without one.

We just sailed Oasis with our niece and her four year old. The hotel said they had car seats on the shuttle, we called ahead.

However, when we got to the airport we found out the hotel shuttle from the FLL to the hotel didn't have car seats it was the shuttle from the hotel to the port that did. Not sure what the difference is?

They spent two hours at the airport trying to find a driver who would take them to the hotel. They final got an Uber driver who had a car seat and took them.

So whatever you do make sure you have it locked down before you get to the airport.