Eclipse, 10 May 2016, Iceland, FOD

cublet

Hi guys,

I think there are going to be more of ‘us’ on this cruise than you think. 

We are Ken & Ray (61 & 67) from Dallas, TX & we booked this cruise several months ago. (But we’ve been on two major trips since we booked this one, so I have yet to even begin researching & organizing for this trip. I feel so ‘behind’!) Glad to see we already have a Roll call going, though.

We will also be traveling with two other great guys, “Rick & Chris” from Northern California. We met them 3 years ago on a transatlantic crossing from Rome to Miami, & enjoyed being with them so much that we also traveled with them to The Galapagos Islands & Machu Picchu last year (also on Celebrity).

All 4 of us are also booked on the Norwegian Fjords cruise immediately preceding this one. But for some weird reason there is a 2 day ‘gap’ between the cruises which, unfortunately, means we’ll have to disembark the Eclipse, find somewhere to go or something to do for 2 days, & then re-board the ship. Ugh.

Jostman, congrats on your first cruise. I’ll bet you’re going to love it. We took our first cruise in 2003 on the QM2, and have now been on somewhere between 15 & 20 all over the world. It’s an expensive habit to have (especially being retired!), but we dearly love it. ….& because we both traveled so much in our careers, we retired with almost 7 million airline miles ‘in the bank’! Our running joke is that we can fly First Class for free to anywhere in the world, at a moment’s notice. We just can’t afford to buy LUNCH once we get there!

Looks like we now have enough bodies to fill at least a small corner of the Martini Bar. :-)

We look forward to meeting you all!

Ken & Ray

Hi Ken & Ray,

Thank you for the kind welcome. We are John (55) and Bill (66) from Fareham, Hampshire.

I used to live in Southampton and have stayed at the Grand Harbour. So I can reccomend this as a pleasent place to stay, handy for the docks too. There are less expensive places to stay.

If you would like to meet for a beer on the 8th or 9th we could pop over to Southampton.

Southampton has a good art gallery and the common is nice for recreation. There is also the Mayflower Theatre, although it is too early to see what will be on!

Less than a year to go! :-)

Kind regards

Jostman

Hi John & Bill,

Thanks for the recommendation of the Grand Harbour. I checked with them yesterday & they are already "sold out" for our dates. (I'll bet one of the lines has booked them for the last night of one of their Land Excursions or something.)

Currently, we're holding two sets of reservations. One is at the Novotel Hotel on Quay & the other is at the White Star Tavern, which looks kind of fun & kitchy. The Novotel might be closer to the dock, but the White Star is centrally located downtown & has more restaurants, pubs, etc. around it. We'll probably make our final decision this weekend, so we can cancel the other reservation.

Of course we'd like tip "tip a few" with you. Will chat as time grows nearer!

Thanks!

Hi Ken & Ray,

Fully booked! You would think nearly 12 months notice would be enough.

I remember the Novotel being built. This is better for Commercial Road and Shirley. The White Star is (I think) in Oxford Street. This would be handy for http://www.the-london.co.uk Not sure if it's your thing ;-) Both locations have cinemas near.

I am sure either should be acceptable for two nights.

We have one small dog, half Pug, half Schnauzer. We think she is more Schnauzer as she likes to be in charge.

Regards

John & Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

An email tip.

Microsoft Hotmail, in what they think is being clever, will block your use of Hotmail (perhaps Live and any other MS internet email product) on board saying you have not used that computer before. They will ask if you have another email account or your registered mobile to which a security code can be sent.

If you are at sea, whilst either may be possible, mobile telephony costs an arm and five legs. So to avoid this, you should go to the iLounge on deck 6 on embarkation day whilst the ship is still in Southampton. You can then attempt the use of Hotmail/Live and the security test resolved at UK telephone rates (ie nil if all that is happening is receiving a text message).

As all internet traffic to/from the ship goes via satellite to Miami (and onwards), this solution will hold good for the whole cruise.

Regards,

Cublet

Hello,

Rabbits, RABBITS, RABBITS (if you’re into ‘cute’), or

Pinch, Punch, First of the month (if you prefer something a little more rough).

Whatever your scene, here’s hoping to meet more friends and family on board.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: This time next year we'll be home!:eek:

Edited by cublet

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Husbands, HUSBANDS, HUSBANDS!

??

I know what you are thinking, the custom is to say “Rabbits” three times on the first day of the month to bring you good luck, so why this.

Well, last month, after my usual “Rabbits” posting, I happened to find a bunny rabbit in my garden.:eek:

So, being single, I thought I’d try this. You’ll have to view this thread next month to see what, if anything, happened this time.:D

Regards,

Cublet.

Too funny, Cublet!

Thanks for clearing that up. I had never in my life heard of that tradition of saying "Rabbits" 3 times. I must admit I had been scratching my head regarding your post for almost a month now! Thanks for clearing it up for me! LOL

.....but, thanks to our wonderful Supreme Court's decision on marriage last week here in the U.S., I'm hearing a LOT of people suddenly screaming "Husband" these days! :-)

Hi guys,

I think there are going to be more of ‘us’ on this cruise than you think. 

We are Ken & Ray (61 & 67) from Dallas, TX & we booked this cruise several months ago. (But we’ve been on two major trips since we booked this one, so I have yet to even begin researching & organizing for this trip. I feel so ‘behind’!) Glad to see we already have a Roll call going, though.

We will also be traveling with two other great guys, “Rick & Chris” from Northern California. We met them 3 years ago on a transatlantic crossing from Rome to Miami, & enjoyed being with them so much that we also traveled with them to The Galapagos Islands & Machu Picchu last year (also on Celebrity).

All 4 of us are also booked on the Norwegian Fjords cruise immediately preceding this one. But for some weird reason there is a 2 day ‘gap’ between the cruises which, unfortunately, means we’ll have to disembark the Eclipse, find somewhere to go or something to do for 2 days, & then re-board the ship. Ugh.

Jostman, congrats on your first cruise. I’ll bet you’re going to love it. We took our first cruise in 2003 on the QM2, and have now been on somewhere between 15 & 20 all over the world. It’s an expensive habit to have (especially being retired!), but we dearly love it. ….& because we both traveled so much in our careers, we retired with almost 7 million airline miles ‘in the bank’! Our running joke is that we can fly First Class for free to anywhere in the world, at a moment’s notice. We just can’t afford to buy LUNCH once we get there!

Looks like we now have enough bodies to fill at least a small corner of the Martini Bar. :-)

We look forward to meeting you all!

Ken & Ray

Hello,

The two day cruise, departing 8th May, is now open to general booking - and I have.

Regards,

Cublet

Hello,

Husbands, HUSBANDS, HUSBANDS!

??

I know what you are thinking, the custom is to say “Rabbits” three times on the first day of the month to bring you good luck, so why this.

Well, last month, after my usual “Rabbits” posting, I happened to find a bunny rabbit in my garden.:eek:

So, being single, I thought I’d try this. You’ll have to view this thread next month to see what, if anything, happened this time.:D

Regards,

Cublet.

Hello,

Nearly half way through the month, no husbands and no rabbits either.:(

Regards,

Cublet

• 3 weeks later...

Don't give up Cublet. It always happens when you least expect it. :-)

We've (both couples) decided to take a pass on the 2 night cruise, as we were in Le Havre just last year. Instead, we're getting off in Southampton & have planned two "day trips" out of there. ...Then we will return for the Ireland/Iceland jaunt...

• 1 month later...
Hello Cublet,

We hope you have had and are having a fabulous time. Also hope the Eclipse didn't disappoint in any way.

Regards

Jostman :)

Hello,

I'm (really) back!

I am pleased to report a couple of improvements. In my review of the Oceanview Cafe at Dinner time in 2010, I likened it to a motorway service station at 2.00 in the morning. Not now.

Not only is there a greater selection of identified food but there is also a 'Grill Station' where you can have a selection of fish, pork, lamb and beef steaks freshly cooked to order. I don't know about you guys, but I am quite partial to a nice juicy rump ( :eek:) but that was the only cut not available.

When not operating as the Bistro on Five, the space is now used as an overflow for the Cafe al Bacio - greatly appreciated. I was never in want of a seat to sit on.

Some negatives:

Cellar Masters has been opened-up and has the largest wine list outside of the MDRs, but still a 'nowhere' sort of location;

Molecular Bar is now The Worldclass Bartenders' Selection. I dare say more drinks are available, but the bar's own list had only eight cocktails on it;

The Passport Bar is still the Passport Bar. But sometimes (usually around feeding times at the zoo) it blossoms to become Gastrobar@Passport Bar. Bar it is, Pub, in a million years, it is not. It hosts about forty 'hand crafted' craft ales (all bottles or cans - nothing on draft). Now I don't want to appear picky as I'm not concerned, but Fullers, Guinness and Marstons sound to me rather mainstream - but any with greater knowledge correct me.

So anyone with any questions, please fire away.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
Grammar

• 3 months later...
Aussie/Mexican couple (Matt and Juan) planning this cruise.

Just hoping our boss will give us time off for this trip.

To book thru PP or not ..... ??

Fingers crossed

Hello Matt and Juan,

Hope your boss gives you the time off!

John and Bill

Fingers crossed

Welcome Matt & Juan! We look forward to meeting you onboard.

Ken & Ray

Fingers crossed

Hello,

Welcome to our little thread.

I don't know what extras PP offer but a quick look at their prices vs UK price list shows that every category apart from a 2C balcony is cheaper on the UK CC site rather than PP. But the waters are mudded by PP offering the 'Go' promotions that have ended in the UK - what we have here on all categories Balcony and above is second PAX goes half price and cabin gets free drinks package worth £500 (if you have hollow legs).

I look forward to meeting you.

For those in the UK, if you don't know it already, Keith Maynard (co-host of Planet Cruise TV Show (Freeview Ch 22 8.00pm Tuesdays)) will also be on this cruise.

Regards,

Cublet

• 3 months later...
I was packed last Friday! ....which also means I'll probably be the "most wrinkled" on the ship...

We leave in 48 hours. Yippeee! Safe travels all!

Hello,

My philosophy is very simple: If the body inside requires more ironing than the clothes then don't worry about them.:eek:

Regards,

Cublet

Yes, you're all set! See you there!

Hello,

Yes, but. The credit card signatory has to agree to be responsible for both passengers' accounts otherwise it's one Xpress Pass each.

Regards,

Cublet