Visiting the QM2 in Brooklyn

Twickenham

I have just found out that some very good friends of ours will be in NYC on the same weekend as our Jan. 3rd crossing. I know that there is a program in place in Southampton where non-passengers can tour the QM2; is there any such thing for NYC, or any other way they can come on board as our guest? In the (very likely) event this isn't possible, how close can they get to the ship at departure - close enough to see from deck? Just trying to see if it's worth it for me to drag them all the way out to Red Hook... :D

i do not know about visitors coming on board [i would guess usually no]. your friend imo should be able to see you at the rear of the ship [deck 7] by the flag pole if they come into the redhook parking lot [which is allowed].or you could come early and meet them prior to boarding in the parking lot

Definitely close enough to see from deck. Here's the parking lot from onboard.

11788491213_19f477646a_c.jpg

Red Hook terminal parking by pdhenry, on Flickr

If they arrive before 2:30 or so they will end up waiting in the embarking passengers queue but after that there's no problem.

Short term parking rates are: $7 for up to one hour, $8 for two hours or $13 for six hours.

Edited by Underwatr

There is no US program for ship tours similar to that in Southampton, mainly due to tighter US Homeland Security restrictions.

Invited travel agents do come on board, but you would have to invest a lot of time and energy in trying to get find a person within Cunard who has the authority to authorize such a visit. And your friends would certainly have to give a lot of personal information for the security check.

Thank you all for your responses. The picture is great, Underwatr - definitely close enough to make it worth it for them to at least see us off!

Invited travel agents do come on board, but you would have to invest a lot of time and energy in trying to get find a person within Cunard who has the authority to authorize such a visit. And your friends would certainly have to give a lot of personal information for the security check.

Thanks for the items to ponder... definitely a long shot, but as I am stubborn with a tortuous mind ;), I'll perhaps throw a line Cunard's way to see if I get a bite...

One more picture - Gordon here is standing a ways down past the right end of my other picture.

Sting-in-front-of-Cunards-Queen-Mary-2-NYC.-Photo-credit-James-Morgan_DSC_7179.jpeg

Photo shopped by James Morgan?

The scale is all wrong.

Compare the photo above with photos Morgan took of the Captain standing on the bulbous bow of QM2 - examples here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575169/Adrift-sea-Extraordinary-photos-captain-Queen-Mary-II-standing-largest-ocean-liner-world.html

Edited by Salacia

No. Googled it. Perhaps "Gordon" looks a bit familiar to you.

I think it's shot with a wide angle lens but I know where to stand to get that perspective.

Hi Underwatr. Yup, "Gordon" does look familiar. I would have loved to see him perform on the ship.

I think the photo on this webpage give a better idea of the size of the ship in comparison to a human http://portsidenewyork.org/portsidetanke/2014/2/20/red-hook-ferry-enhancement-activating-atlantic-basin-brooklyn-cruise-terminal-ny-rising-crp-discussion

QM2 dwarfs anyone - and just about everything else nearby :)

Meh. It's just perspective. If the photographer was closer to the people he could frame it so it looks like the photo of Sting (if they were on the other side of the chain link...).

Quite right: just a question of perspective!

Since the thread is titled Visiting the QM2 in Brooklyn, there are many vantage points for a photo op, but Realism does rear it's ugly head.

Photo credits also seem to be a thing of the past.