TSA locks! Needed or Not?

Tizzy

from the trim of 9-11 we have not locked bags, we fly at least every 3 three months together SOME PLACE

plus add our own travel plans of cruises and overseas trips,

I carry my gold, laptop,

have not missed any clothes that might have been missing maybe I take to much to NOTICE

not if I get on board any cruise and are missing booze... now I would notice that

one more note, ADT "sign" in my yard .... no

lights on outside of house at night.... no

windows doors locked during the day when we are not home... yes IM not stupid

Oh ya we just went to Hawaii (for work no less) and my husbands bag had notice in it that they had opened and checked it.

I know this **** happens my father worked for United Air for 30 years, he just said carry what you love close to you.. thats why we travel together

Have locks ever really been needed? The instances of theft are really minimal and no one should be putting anything valuable in a check bag anyway.

And I have flown, trained and cruised all over the world- over 25 countries and 500,000 miles flown. 10 cruises. Trained all over the US and Europe. I have never had ANYTHING stolen (and my luggage has been lost a total of one time for around 30 hrs). Much ado about nothing.

And since you have never been shot, never been hit by a drunk driver, and never suffered the devastation of a hurricane, are you also pronouncing these common perils "much ado about nothing"? Extrapolating from anecdotal experience ("If it hasn't hurt me, it isn't a real problem") is hardly valid.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Yes, I am. Absolutely much ado about nothing.

And, in your example, yes, it would be like walking around with bullet proof clothing every day on the tiny chance you might get shot.

14,000 pieces of luggage have reported theft out of what- probably a billion pieces of luggage per year? Those are some damn good odds! Probably better odds of being shot! LOL

Edited by conandrob240

Yes, I am. Absolutely much ado about nothing.

And, in your example, yes, it would be like walking around with bullet proof clothing every day on the tiny chance you might get shot.

14,000 pieces of luggage have reported theft out of what- probably a billion pieces of luggage per year? Those are some damn good odds! Probably better odds of being shot! LOL

Nope, more like carrying a gun, for self defense, on the off chance you are confronted with someone intent on using one against you.

But, if your passive beliefs work you, then good for on you. I prefer to be prepared rather than relying on others good nature or honesty. This includes locks on my luggage. And no, I do not pack valuables.

I both lock and alarm my car - and keep all valuables (if any) out of sight. I also lock and alarm my house, while away and while sleeping. So far, so good, no problems thank goodness. I also purchased those TSA locks - and I feel very good about it.

Exactly. We lock our bikes up all of the time at the park too. I've had someone tell me that wasn't necessary. My response was: I haven't had one disappear yet! ;)

Sometimes an ounce of prevention is all it takes. If nothing else, it slows a thief down or makes them move onto someone else's stuff that is an easier/quicker grab.

We always use TSA locks. Not only are they handy for the transportation aspect but they are also great for locking the suitcase when you leave it in your hotel room or checked at the front desk. Not that we leave any valuables, but I don't wait anyone pawing through my stuff looking for non-existent valuables either!

Nope, more like carrying a gun, for self defense, on the off chance you are confronted with someone intent on using one against you.

But, if your passive beliefs work you, then good for on you. I prefer to be prepared rather than relying on others good nature or honesty. This includes locks on my luggage. And no, I do not pack valuables.

Then what is it that you are trying to prevent the theft of by locking up your luggage? Does anyone really believe thieves are looking for shorts and t shirts?

I don't rely on anyone's honesty, and this is why I pack no valuables in a checked bag. Therefore I have no need to lock my luggage.

Oddly negative replies in this thread.

I have done both, no locks and locks. I now use the TSA locks. Why not? As others have said, if Im a thief, Im opening the unlocked bag rather than the locked one.

My buddy once used a non-TSA lock on a flight home from vegas. I had convinced him to have a plaster bust of his head made (ha) and he put it in his carry on. Im convinced thats what made the TSA want to open it. They cut off his lock and left him a note. He was angry but whatever.

TSA locks are so inexpensive, why not do so.

Then they will rifle through your unlocked luggage bypassing my locked luggage. Mission accomplished. 👍

IF they bypass the locked bag, ( which obviously has something of value inside the owner is trying to protect ). Why waste time on my unlocked bag containing no booty when they can hit the jackpot with yours. And if they do rifle mine, then rifle away. In 35 years of flying I have yet to find a thing out of place.

IF they bypass the locked bag, ( which obviously has something of value inside the owner is trying to protect ). Why waste time on my unlocked bag containing no booty when they can hit the jackpot with yours. And if they do rifle mine, then rifle away. In 35 years of flying I have yet to find a thing out of place.

Great point. Im going to start leaving my house, car and garage unlocked. Im sure no one will bother going in to check it out once they find it unsecured. ;)

I'm betting that if a criminal really wanted one...they could get a TSA key from somewhere.
There's a set of keys, I don't know how many. But yes, I'm sure you can get them somewhere (but then you have to carry them all around, and at that point you may as well just carry a small bolt cutter).

It's not meant to be a super secure lock, just an extra little deterrent to keep casual, opportunistic thieves out of your bag. (And to allow the TSA to inspect your bag without destroying the lock.) Yes, it is an added nuisance when you yourself want to get into your bag. It's another code to remember or another key to try not to lose, and it costs a little bit of money. To me it seems like an appropriate amount of hassle (small) to address the risk (which is also small). For those who can't be bothered, that's OK, too.

Of course since this is the internet, the other guy is always an idiot. So do whatever you want. It's your luggage, idiot.