TSA locks! Needed or Not?

Tizzy

My years as a property casualty actuary tell me you're wrong. Theft is often a crime of opportunity...a thief knows time is of the essence. Guess which homes are more likely to be burglarized...ones that have an unlocked door or an open window. Just having a sign on lawn from a burglar alarm company (no alarm actually armed or even present) makes it more likely that a thief will not try to break in. Unlocked cars are more likely to be stolen than locked cars. And although unlike homes and autos we didn't keep statistics on items stolen from unlocked baggage versus locked baggage, the same reasoning applies...it's faster to attempt a theft from an unlocked bag than a locked bag.

By the way there's another reason to secure your bag with something...a lock or a zip tie. It makes it far less likely that the zipper will accidentally open, spilling your contents out of the bag when the bag is being (mis)handled at the port or airport.

I'm always amazed when I see a story on television news about a neighborhood that has suffered a rash of burglaries. Invariably the residents being interviewed will say "No one around here locks their doors. I guess we're going to have to lock them from now on." Duh...no kidding.

I'm not sure we can equate whether or not to lock a suitcase with locking cars and houses. I do lock my cars because, of necessity, I must sometimes keep valuable things inside and I routinely lock them anyway. But, I don't believe for a minute that car thieves case the mall parking lots trying car after car until they find an unlocked one. They simply target the car they want. Can't the average professional car thief enter a locked car just about as fast as an unlocked one? I suppose they look for cars with keys left in the ignition as well so that they don't have to bother with a hot wire?:) I keep my house locked because I have valuables inside and I don't want someone walking in while I am having my morning coffee or sleeping.:). There is really no choice, but you know that if they really want in......

But, I don't keep valuables in a suitcase which many people will handle before we are reunited. I do have a choice there. Why subject yourself to the risk? So I have no need to lock. So are the people who are locking and strapping, etc carrying valuables in their suitcases? This is the issue to me.

But, I don't keep valuables in a suitcase which many people will handle before we are reunited. I do have a choice there. Why subject yourself to the risk? So I have no need to lock. So are the people who are locking and strapping, etc carrying valuables in their suitcases? This is the issue to me.

I don't carry anything of value in my checked luggage, but I still lock it. Just because it's not anything worth stealing doesn't mean I want an opportunist pawing through my clothes, either. Or putting something in there. I also zip up and tuck the pulls on my backpack in so it isn't easy to open, even when it only has a bottle of water and some sunscreen. Maybe it's because I live in a big city, so I'm just generally cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure we can equate whether or not to lock a suitcase with locking cars and houses. I do lock my cars because, of necessity, I must sometimes keep valuable things inside and I routinely lock them anyway. But, I don't believe for a minute that car thieves case the mall parking lots trying car after car until they find an unlocked one. They simply target the car they want. Can't the average professional car thief enter a locked car just about as fast as an unlocked one? I suppose they look for cars with keys left in the ignition as well so that they don't have to bother with a hot wire?:) I keep my house locked because I have valuables inside and I don't want someone walking in while I am having my morning coffee or sleeping.:). There is really no choice, but you know that if they really want in......

You can opine and speculate and guess all you want but your opinions fly in the face of the facts.

Insurance companies don't offer discounts for homes and autos with alarm systems or anti-theft devices out of the goodness of their hearts, but rather because they prevent or lessen claim dollars being paid out. And no one checks whether you actually arm your alarm system, just that you have one. The mere presence of a sign or a sticker in a car window is a deterrent. Yes, thieves target what they want, but among their wants are unlocked door and windows. Breaking a car window makes noise that can alert someone in the area that something is amiss. Hot wiring or breaking an ignition switch makes no noise, and has to be done regardless of whether the door or a window is open or not. Theft of personal property from cars is also more likely to occur if the doors are unlocked, for the same reason...the noise factor .

We always lock our checked luggage and there is never anything more valuable than clothing in it. Our valuables are only in our carry on bags.

Its never a problem until it is a problem! TSA locks are under $10 well worth the security, I really don't want to go shopping for new clothes or personal items on the ship!

We have flown all over the world, including third world countries and never had anything stolen with our TSA locks. And yes TSA has left thank you notes many times and we appreciate it.

CT

My years as a property casualty actuary tell me you're wrong. Theft is often a crime of opportunity...a thief knows time is of the essence. Guess which homes are more likely to be burglarized...ones that have an unlocked door or an open window. Just having a sign on lawn from a burglar alarm company (no alarm actually armed or even present) makes it more likely that a thief will not try to break in. Unlocked cars are more likely to be stolen than locked cars. And although unlike homes and autos we didn't keep statistics on items stolen from unlocked baggage versus locked baggage, the same reasoning applies...it's faster to attempt a theft from an unlocked bag than a locked bag.

I agree that locks/zip ties deter thieves more than no locks/zips. It's axiomatic. It reduces your exposure, plain and simple. Still, some travelers wrongly believe them a panacea. Actually, defeating a TSA lock is child's play and let's not kid ourselves: a crooked baggage handler needs just 20 seconds to open your TSA lock, rifle through your bag, and send it on its merry way, knowing you could never pinpoint him as thief. Regrettably, YouTube hosts videos that show people how to defeat TSA locks--in seconds.

As one observer said on a travel site: "The average passenger has NO idea how many locks are broken off during normal handling. I used to say that one could send their kid(s) through college by just collecting the lock parts on the ramp and selling them as scrap!" http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/aviation_polls/read.main/253787/

So said this ABC News site: "But to help keep flyers protected, a former TSA officer who was convicted for theft told ABC News that there are always steps you can take to help make sure their belongings make it to their destination. Pythias Brown served three years in prison after he said he took as much as $800,000-worth of cash or merchandise from passengers' luggage or carry-on bags over four years." His advice:

Don't trust TSA-approved locks designed to alert you if your bag has been opened by someone else. [/b] The TSA urges travelers to use TSA-approved locks that allow their agents to use a master code to get into the locks so they don't have to break them when an inspection is necessary. Some private companies have added a feature to the locks that indicates if that master code has been used so flyers know if someone has been in their bags. Brown said he and others learned how to jimmy the lock to make it appear to the owner as if it was never opened. Other locks didn't fare much better. "We had somebody that knew how to pick them," he said. "We had people who could find the combination."

As you indicated, all of this points to the need to stow your valuables in your carry-on--and keep your eyes on your carry-on. For most travelers, of course, this heightened level of security may be over the top. And to repeat: I agree that locks/zip ties deter thieves more than no locks/zips.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Topicstarter, instead of buying new TSA equiped suitcases;

Use a belt/strap with TSA lock, i.e.;

view-GTO461-UK-Flag-2m-3-Dial-TSA-Combination-Lock-Luggage-Suitcase-Secure-Strap-Belt-Strip-4.jpg

If you fear failure of the belt, by staff using it as a handle, you might consider plastic wrapping your bag at the airport. But TSA will remove the wrap in case of inspection.

Or use a separate TSA lock;

mQPpcuEuo7pFtWB0T_SV8oQ.jpg

As for buying new suitcases, get a (TSA equiped) 4 wheel spinner if you like to easily walk around (in NYC for example or store your luggage at a locker).

For those who fear codes being cracked, there are also keycard TSA locks which work with a hole punched keycard. :)

To the one poster who always gets a TSA inspection; you might want to reconsider your packing habbits, perhaps something triggers their automatic measures. Think organic, dense materials, electric devices. Could be as simple not bundling all your chargers/cables but sorting them on an easy to use Grid It organizer.

cocoon_laptop_16.jpg.

:D

One can open a locked zippered bag without removing the locks. It can be done in less than 30 seconds.

After watching this video I gave up thinking a lock is secure thing to deal with. I just zip tie my bag before I hand it off to the dock porters. Otherwise its left "unlocked" for the flying portion of my travels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Edited by Sauer-kraut

One can open a locked zippered bag without removing the locks. It can be done in less than 30 seconds.

After watching this video I gave up thinking a lock is secure thing to deal with. I just zip tie my bag before I hand it off to the dock porters. Otherwise its left "unlocked" for the flying portion of my travels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Old video. You're missing the point that a thief doesn't want to take an extra 30 seconds. They want to get in now. That extra 30 seconds could mean someone sees them breaking in.

Have locks ever really been needed? The instances of theft are really minimal and no one should be putting anything valuable in a check bag anyway.

And I have flown, trained and cruised all over the world- over 25 countries and 500,000 miles flown. 10 cruises. Trained all over the US and Europe. I have never had ANYTHING stolen (and my luggage has been lost a total of one time for around 30 hrs). Much ado about nothing.

Edited by conandrob240

We use the TSA locks, and have not had any issues. I don't use them thinking it will stop someone if they really want in, but I use them because once, before we did, our bag ended up on the baggage carousel half open and stuff hanging out. Nothing was missing, I just think it got opened accidentally (i.e. zipper caught on another bag or a person, etc.). The lock helps stop that. We have had our bags searched, and most of the time the locks are put back on and a note that it was searched left inside. This past trip our bag was searched, no note, and no lock put back on. Nothing was missing.

Have locks ever really been needed? The instances of theft are really minimal and no one should be putting anything valuable in a check bag anyway.

And I have flown, trained and cruised all over the world- over 25 countries and 500,000 miles flown. 10 cruises. Trained all over the US and Europe. I have never had ANYTHING stolen (and my luggage has been lost a total of one time for around 30 hrs). Much ado about nothing.

Well, in some countries putting stuff IN your luggage by others is more lucrative than taking anything out.. consider that when leaving it unlocked. ;)

I both lock and alarm my car - and keep all valuables (if any) out of sight. I also lock and alarm my house, while away and while sleeping. So far, so good, no problems thank goodness. I also purchased those TSA locks - and I feel very good about it. Like someone else said...I don't want anyone pawing through my stuff...and clipping something they want - that's MY stuff and I don't want anyone else to think they can just help themselves with the turn of a handle. Let the OP buy her locks!!!!!

I regularly throw small amounts of cash, small electronics, including an iPod, GPS nav device, and regularly check my laptop though my airport luggage.

I wonder what folks have in their luggage such that they "can't be too careful" and lock or zip-tie stuff. Nobody wants your walmart underwear, your Gap jeans, and your $16 RayBan shades - 50% of the average cruiser's wardrobe. For the other half, you probably have the resources to deal with whatever someone "pilfers" from your bag... :rolleyes:

Old video. You're missing the point that a thief doesn't want to take an extra 30 seconds. They want to get in now. That extra 30 seconds could mean someone sees them breaking in.

Exactly why I do lock my luggage...every thing I can do to make it extra work for them, I do. But then again, I don't pack any valuables in my checked luggage.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Who and where are these "thieves"? LOL. Maybe back in the day but today's baggage handlers, ticket people, security agents are the only ones with access and they are not only on video monitors, they past through detectors in and out of the job and are under close scrutiny. Why on earth would these people risk their jobs or criminal prosecution to rifle through your undies and Ts? I don't get the worry.

Who and where are these "thieves"? LOL. Maybe back in the day but today's baggage handlers, ticket people, security agents are the only ones with access and they are not only on video monitors, they past through detectors in and out of the job and are under close scrutiny. Why on earth would these people risk their jobs or criminal prosecution to rifle through your undies and Ts? I don't get the worry.

If it's impossible for items to be stolen from luggage at airports and elsewhere, why do I see news reports from time to time of individuals or rings of thieves being arrested for stealing from luggage? Yes they might be seem on a security camera, but they might (and do) sometimes get away with it for months before being identified and arrested. You might want to read this article (from 2014 by the way, not years ago):

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/28/local/la-me-lax-luggage-theft-20140328

You also might want to read this 2011 article from Travel Insurance Review, which includes recommendations for preventing theft (guess what one of the recommendations is) and also states that nearly 14,000 travelers a year report items missing from their luggage:

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/travel-safety-tips/beat-bag-thieves/

Edited by njhorseman

Just like NJHORSEMAN, I, too, am in the insurance industry. I'm going to say this..(and I also come from a big city).. LOCK your s***(crap), don't leave it exposed while it is out of sight, don't trust anyone (unfortunately these are the times), keep your valuables on your person and your basics under lock & key. (Some of these basics - VS lingerie, Coach bags, can be quite pricey.) That's the best you can do to prevent theft, and if they still get the best of you then at least you did your due diligence to prevent it. Happy trails!

If it's impossible for items to be stolen from luggage at airports and elsewhere, why do I see news reports from time to time of individuals or rings of thieves being arrested for stealing from luggage? Yes they might be seem on a security camera, but they might (and do) sometimes get away with it for months before being identified and arrested. You might want to read this article (from 2014 by the way, not years ago):

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/28/local/la-me-lax-luggage-theft-20140328

You also might want to read this 2011 article from Travel Insurance Review, which includes recommendations for preventing theft (guess what one of the recommendations is) and also states that nearly 14,000 travelers a year report items missing from their luggage:

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/travel-safety-tips/beat-bag-thieves/

No one said it could NEVER happen. I said it is still fairly uncommon that locking a suitcase is not really needed.

To the person who said we don't really need locks on our luggage because everyone is so honest and theft is so rare:

My luggage was lost once when I went on a cruise it flew about 1 port behind me all through my trip and finally arrived back to me about 1 week after I arrived home. When I opened it there was a paper inside that said it had been opened and searched in Grand Caymans. My jewelry case was unzipped and its contents dumped into the inside of the suitcase I'm sure that if asked they would have said that the missing items must have fallen from the suitcase however it's interesting that only the items made of 14 or 18 karat gold "fell from the suitcase". The costume stuff seem to stay in the suitcase just fine.

Yes we need locks!!! And travel insurance!!! Both of which I now have whenever I travel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

No one said it could NEVER happen. I said it is still fairly uncommon that locking a suitcase is not really needed.

You never used the words "fairly uncommon" or anything that could be reasonably interpreted as "fairly uncommon" . And I'm really curious how you could possibly interpret that 14,000 annual instances of travelers reporting items missing from their luggage is "fairly uncommon".

Apparently the professional expertise of those in the insurance industry who are explaining the facts is of no consequence.

To the person who said we don't really need locks on our luggage because everyone is so honest and theft is so rare:

My luggage was lost once when I went on a cruise it flew about 1 port behind me all through my trip and finally arrived back to me about 1 week after I arrived home. When I opened it there was a paper inside that said it had been opened and searched in Grand Caymans. My jewelry case was unzipped and its contents dumped into the inside of the suitcase I'm sure that if asked they would have said that the missing items must have fallen from the suitcase however it's interesting that only the items made of 14 or 18 karat gold "fell from the suitcase". The costume stuff seem to stay in the suitcase just fine.

Yes we need locks!!! And travel insurance!!! Both of which I now have whenever I travel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I am not convinced that having your your luggage locked would have prevented the theft of your jewelry.

What would have prevented the theft would have been the simple act of placing your valuable jewelry in your purse or carryon bag. I never pack anything of value in a checked bag and am therefore pretty confident that I will never experience a theft, unless they take the entire bag, and a lock won't prevent that. And if everyone would do this, just think of the money it would save the insurance industry.

To Valchie, I agree, "don't trust anyone" and that is why I don't pack anything of value in a checked bag. And by the way, I would never pack a Coach bag, but carry it instead. Ditto for cameras, camcorders, binocs, designer sunglasses and anything else easily spotted. If they want to spend the time sorting my undergarments to see if any are VS, they can be my guest. Not sure what kind of market there is for used VS underwear.

Edited by punkincc

We do not lock our bags at all while travelling. If somebody wants to get inside the bag, they will - locked or not.

from the trim of 9-11 we have not locked bags, we fly at least every 3 three months together SOME PLACE

plus add our own travel plans of cruises and overseas trips,

I carry my gold, laptop,

have not missed any clothes that might have been missing maybe I take to much to NOTICE

not if I get on board any cruise and are missing booze... now I would notice that