Class action suit against Southwest EBCI

GottaLuvCruising

I've had times where I got on and someone was in my usual favorite 2D. Turns out they screwed up and were supposed to be in 2C. No worries, I took their 2C. Apples to apples. Big difference between that and booking 10D which is often an exit aisle and having someone who is supposed to be in 27B (middle last) in your seat. Not going to fly. Take your kid and go back and ask whoever is in 27C if they will switch. My guess is they would be happy to. When asking to switch, the asker should always offer up the better seat to the askee.

That would mean setting a deliberate policy that wheelchair users must not travel with the rest of their family - they can sit with father or mother, not both; or with one child, while spouse looks after the other; or with one son while the other sits on his own somewhere else.

Which may be a policy that has to be done, if there's a good purpose to it. But if the only purpose is to allow a few passengers the right to sit one row further forward than they otherwise would, is that really worth deliberately splitting families?

No airline guarantees all members of a family or other group can sit together, and Southwest is especially clear on this as they don't allow seats to be reserved in advance (though some early-boarders try to "save" seats for others who, for one reason or another, have much lower boarding numbers). Same deal with kids. We've all seen large families trying to board early because there's one child.

That would mean setting a deliberate policy that wheelchair users must not travel with the rest of their family - they can sit with father or mother, not both; or with one child, while spouse looks after the other; or with one son while the other sits on his own somewhere else.

Which may be a policy that has to be done, if there's a good purpose to it. But if the only purpose is to allow a few passengers the right to sit one row further forward than they otherwise would, is that really worth deliberately splitting families?

No airline guarantees all members of a family or other group can sit together, and Southwest is especially clear on this as they don't allow seats to be reserved in advance (though some early-boarders try to "save" seats for others who, for one reason or another, have much lower boarding numbers). Same deal with kids. We've all seen large families trying to board early because there's one child.

And BTW, not all wheelchair users are unable to board aircraft on their own. My wife used a WC to get to the gate. The airline involved (Delta) asked if she needed WC assistance to get to her seat, as that would require a different type of WC. My wife did not need that. We were flying business and first class so had early boarding, anyway. And pre-assigned seats so early boarding wouldn't give a "better" choice of seats as in the case of Southwest.

After reading this thread, I would never consider traveling on Southwest. I have mobility issues, no wheelchair just a cane, and need additional time to board as people have no patience with a slow mover. This thread made me feel like I would be stealing seats from people and be judged. Why doesn't SW assign seats if there is so much turmoil with the present arrangement:confused:.

I will continue to fly Jet Blue where I may pay for checked bag but I know where my seat is and not have to be subjected the the seat fights and people passing judgement as to whether I really need the extra assistance :).

Edited by Happy2cruise