China Land Tour Cases ?

bcnvcanada

Please to assit we are doing a China land tour with Princess after a cruise.

Since we will be traveling between Bejing and Xian and on to

Shinghai. We are worried about our cases. We will have three large

cases, and two larger carry ons.. We have used China internal airlines,

before and the carry ons were checked as they were too big.

We have call our t/a and princess and no one is able to give us an

answer. Has anyone had this issue? Any information would be most welcomed.

Having just traveled in October on a tour that included five internal Chinese flights (including Beijing-Xian), we carefully brought along carry-ons that followed the official size/weight rules. Turned out that almost everyone else easily boarded with carry-ons that were standard international size, and I doubt anyone's was weighed. We were told that the rules just don't get enforced any more, so I wouldn't sweat it, but, of course, YMMV. I would keep all your most valuable stuff in your "personal item," though, and not take carry-ons that were larger than necessary.

Edited by shepp

Will Princess have you take all of the cases on the land tour or will they take some of them at the start of the tour and you will next see them on the ship?

I assume you do not need all of their contents during the land tour part.

Sorry I can't answer your questions since we all had carry-ons that complied with international size restrictions, but one couple brought three instead of two carry-ons without problems. Our TA (not Princess) told us that only ONE checked-in bag was free.

Sorry I can't answer your questions since we all had carry-ons that complied with international size restrictions.

Actually, if you read up on internal Chinese flights, the official luggage restrictions for carry-ons are a lot more stringent than standard international. China Air specifies 21x14x7 inches and 11 pounds max. I think that's what the OP is referring to.

You can take 1 suitcase each weighing 20 kgs and the rest of your luggage is stored at the Beijing hotel. We did this in October.

You can take 1 suitcase each weighing 20 kgs and the rest of your luggage is stored at the Beijing hotel. We did this in October.

Since the tour ends in Shanghai where the ship is embarked, I assume Princess does not leave it at the hotel in Beijing.

Since the tour ends in Shanghai where the ship is embarked, I assume Princess does not leave it at the hotel in Beijing.

We returned to Beijing on our land tour so left luggage at the hotel. China is strict with weight on internal flights (1 check in, 1 carry on) so Princess might make other arrangements if they go directly to Shanghai. Take less luggage if they don't.

As far as I can see on the Princess site, the land tours return to Beijing for a night.

Beijing Day 1

Arrive in Beijing and transfer to your hotel for the night. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng.

Beijing Day 2

Today's agenda includes a tour of the Forbidden City, Tian'anmen Square and the Temple of Heaven with lunch at a local restaurant. Tonight, enjoy a dinner of famous Peking Duck at a local restaurant. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng. (B,L,D)

Beijing Day 3

Take a motorcoach drive through the intriguing city of Beijing on your way to the incredible Summer Palace. Containing the largest imperial garden still in existence, it is known for its beautiful landscape, pavilions and palaces. Your visit here will include a boat ride on the serene Kun Ming Lake. Drive to the amazing Great Wall of China, where you'll be able to climb and explore a portion of this incredible wonder. Built during the ancient dynasties as protection from barbarians, the Great Wall stretches 3,600 miles, winding its way over the hilly countryside. Enjoy lunch before returning to your hotel. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng. (B,L)

Beijing/Xian Day 4

Fly to Xian where you will visit the fascinating Terra Cotta Warriors. Built in the third century B.C. for a Qin Dynasty emperor, the vault contains 7,000 life-size clay warriors grouped rank by rank in battle order. Some are mounted on horse-drawn chariots, and others are in infantry groups. Transfer to the Sheraton Xian North City Hotel. (B,L)

Xian/Shanghai Day 5

This morning, visit the City Wall and Big Wild Goose Pagoda. After lunch transfer to the airport for your flight to Shanghai. Upon arrival experience the maglev train ride from the airport to Longyanglu Station. Transfer from the Longyanglu Station to your hotel. Later enjoy dinner at a local restaurant and an acrobatic performance. Overnight at the Marriott Shanghai City Center Hotel. (B,L,D)

Shanghai/Embark Ship Day 6

Experience Shanghai on a full day tour to Bund, Yu Garden, Jade Buddha Temple and Jinmao Hyatt Building with photo stops at Oriental TV Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center in the Pudong area. Embark Sapphire Princess and sail away for more incredible sights in Asia! (B,L)

Beijing Day 1

Arrive in Beijing and transfer to your hotel for the night. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng.

Beijing Day 2

Today's agenda includes a tour of the Forbidden City, Tian'anmen Square and the Temple of Heaven with lunch at a local restaurant. Tonight, enjoy a dinner of famous Peking Duck at a local restaurant. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng. (B,L,D)

Beijing Day 3

Take a motorcoach drive through the intriguing city of Beijing on your way to the incredible Summer Palace. Containing the largest imperial garden still in existence, it is known for its beautiful landscape, pavilions and palaces. Your visit here will include a boat ride on the serene Kun Ming Lake. Drive to the amazing Great Wall of China, where you'll be able to climb and explore a portion of this incredible wonder. Built during the ancient dynasties as protection from barbarians, the Great Wall stretches 3,600 miles, winding its way over the hilly countryside. Enjoy lunch before returning to your hotel. Overnight Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng. (B,L)

Beijing/Xian Day 4

Fly to Xian where you will visit the fascinating Terra Cotta Warriors. Built in the third century B.C. for a Qin Dynasty emperor, the vault contains 7,000 life-size clay warriors grouped rank by rank in battle order. Some are mounted on horse-drawn chariots, and others are in infantry groups. Transfer to the Sheraton Xian North City Hotel. (B,L)

Xian/Shanghai Day 5

This morning, visit the City Wall and Big Wild Goose Pagoda. After lunch transfer to the airport for your flight to Shanghai. Upon arrival experience the maglev train ride from the airport to Longyanglu Station. Transfer from the Longyanglu Station to your hotel. Later enjoy dinner at a local restaurant and an acrobatic performance. Overnight at the Marriott Shanghai City Center Hotel. (B,L,D)

Shanghai/Embark Ship Day 6

Experience Shanghai on a full day tour to Bund, Yu Garden, Jade Buddha Temple and Jinmao Hyatt Building with photo stops at Oriental TV Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center in the Pudong area. Embark Sapphire Princess and sail away for more incredible sights in Asia! (B,L)

Yes, I saw that itinerary which doesn't solve the problem of too much luggage for the internal flights. On one section of our tour, we had to handle our own cases. Princess must surely have a solution.

Actually, if you read up on internal Chinese flights, the official luggage restrictions for carry-ons are a lot more stringent than standard international. China Air specifies 21x14x7 inches and 11 pounds max. I think that's what the OP is referring to.
That's correct. Princess has no control over China Air regulations. When I took a Viking River Cruise 16-day tour several years ago, I was told that the luggage for the group was totaled and averaged. None of the Viking tour leaders was concerned even though a few people on our tour were (the only way to describe it) compulsive buyers.