Avalon v Amaway

JudyBarbara

On Avalon, I turned in my room key when leaving on a tour, and when I got back the receptionist handed it back to me without me even saying my name, she then addressed me by name and welcomed me back. Every time I passed through the lobby she addressed me by name. We loved our Avalon cruises, the fridges in the rooms, the staterooms with the French Balconies. We actually prefer those, they add space to the stateroom that you can use when the weather is not so good.

We've only been on Avalon so can't compare head-to-head with AMA. I can tell you that the room configuration was a selling point when comparing them "on paper". Others on here in the past have disputed our assessment as trivial but, trust me, the experience very much supported our personal conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've only been on Avalon so can't compare head-to-head with AMA. I can tell you that the room configuration was a selling point when comparing them "on paper". Others on here in the past have disputed our assessment as trivial but, trust me, the experience very much supported our personal conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did like the layout of the Panorama Suites on Avalon. The cabin and bathroom were highlights of the cruise for us. But we don't choose a cruise based on cabin as we spend little time there. Our upcoming cruise is in Aquarium class.

We do prefer the twin balcony cabins on AMA's newer boats.

We did like the layout of the Panorama Suites on Avalon. The cabin and bathroom were highlights of the cruise for us. But we don't choose a cruise based on cabin as we spend little time there. Our upcoming cruise is in Aquarium class.

We do prefer the twin balcony cabins on AMA's newer boats.

What is Aquarium class. :confused: DW and I usually book balcony or outside cabin on the few Princess and Celebrity deep ocean cruises. We are considering doing a river cruise as a change of pace. But I've read there are occasional but common SNAFUs, when the river is too high or too low, and the cruise ends up more like a bus tour :mad: Is that a common occurrence? Any time of year or itinerary to avoid this condition?

Regards,

King

What is Aquarium class. :confused: DW and I usually book balcony or outside cabin on the few Princess and Celebrity deep ocean cruises. We are considering doing a river cruise as a change of pace. But I've read there are occasional but common SNAFUs, when the river is too high or too low, and the cruise ends up more like a bus tour :mad: Is that a common occurrence? Any time of year or itinerary to avoid this condition?

Regards,

King

Aquarium class are the fixed window cabins on bottom deck. We normally book French or twin balcony but this is an extra trip for us this year and we are economizing.

We just got back from a river cruise on the Rhone and had high water levels that caused a change in itinerary. But we got to every port and there was no bus tour. We have been on low water cruise as well and AMA made every port, while many other boats were parked and passengers put on buses for remainder of trip.

In my experience, about 1/2 of the passengers retire after dinner and the others will attend whatever entertainment is offered or socialize in the lounge. If we are in port overnight, we will sometimes change and head into town for a stroll or to visit a local pub, etc.

On NYE in Vienna several years ago, we spent time on deck at midnight to watch the spectacular fireworks display. In Budapest, we went to the top deck to enjoy the gorgeous scenery of our night cruise.

We have done 8 river cruises and Budapest to Prague was our favorite. We are just back from Paris and the south of France and enjoyed it overall but it was not our favorite of the itineraries we have done so far.

Awaiting your review of Paris & South of France. What did you like and what you did not like.?

Thx

Carole

Awaiting your review of Paris & South of France. What did you like and what you did not like.?

Thx

Carole

Carole, I am traveling this week for business and intend to write my review when I am back.

Despite the changes in itinerary we had a great time on AmaDagio. Favorite port was Lyon and wished we had more time there. Also enjoyed Avignon. Drank lots of good wine and met some great people. The crew and staff were the best yet.

Least favorite part of the trip was our 4 days in Paris.

Carole, I am traveling this week for business and intend to write my review when I am back.

Despite the changes in itinerary we had a great time on AmaDagio. Favorite port was Lyon and wished we had more time there. Also enjoyed Avignon. Drank lots of good wine and met some great people. The crew and staff were the best yet.

Eagerly awaiting the review as I have friends who want to travel with us on this itinerray. Agree about Paris-its easier on your own.

Happy Holidays

Carole

We were on the AmaDagio the cruise before you and as you said the crew were excellent especially our very handsome captain. Like you our itinerary was changed quite extensively. We ended up doing quite a few long coach rides and only 5 nights on the ship of which 2 we were just docked on the side of the river and not being able to get off as there was a busy road right beside the river. Our final 2 nights were spent in Aix en Provence in the Renaissance Hotel a five star hotel but definately not the quantity or quality of food and drinks which we became accustomed to on the AmaDagio and Amacello in the previous day's.

Our cruise was supposed to finish in Arles, but as it finished in Aix this caused many problems and stress for people who had booked rail tickets for their forward journeys. Things were finally sorted out but I think I could say after this experience our France tour was not our most enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Eagerly awaiting the review as I have friends who want to travel with us on this itinerray. Agree about Paris-its easier on your own.

Happy Holidays

Carole

We did this itinerary with Avalon - and one of the deciding factors for us was the extra nights in Monaco and Paris - included as part of the itinerary. We travelled from Chalon-sur-Saone to Paris via train - so it was relatively painless.

We weren't impressed with the hotel in Paris - mostly because of the location - but we didn't stay after the tour was done (we had 3 extra nights in Nice at the start of our trip....). This wasn't my 1st trip to Paris - so our sightseeing was less formalized than it would have been if it was my first trip.

Fran

We were on the AmaDagio the cruise before you and as you said the crew were excellent especially our very handsome captain. Like you our itinerary was changed quite extensively. We ended up doing quite a few long coach rides and only 5 nights on the ship of which 2 we were just docked on the side of the river and not being able to get off as there was a busy road right beside the river. Our final 2 nights were spent in Aix en Provence in the Renaissance Hotel a five star hotel but definately not the quantity or quality of food and drinks which we became accustomed to on the AmaDagio and Amacello in the previous day's.

Our cruise was supposed to finish in Arles, but as it finished in Aix this caused many problems and stress for people who had booked rail tickets for their forward journeys. Things were finally sorted out but I think I could say after this experience our France tour was not our most enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Totally agree about the Captain - the most handsome man and lovely as well. :)

We had to get to Lyon to embark instead of Arles and set sail from there. All ports were the same and we did not have any bus rides other than the short ones for the excursions which were not affected.

We did Paris on our own. It is not my favorite city (having visited 5x times over many years) and will be our last stay there.

Loved Lyon and would stay there should we ever return to France again.

We have done 2 AMA's with family groups of 10 and 12 - 3 generations on board. Rhine (Switzerland tour to Amsterdam) and Danube (Budapest to Prague). AMA takes great care of you the entire time. The ship - cabins - food - service - and experience were amazing.

"what to do at night" - there is non stop activities that will make you want to go to bed. Your day - sleep - wake up - get ready for the daily excursions - have a great breakfast - go on the excursion - sometimes back in time for lunch and then on the to the next excursion or cruising enjoying the amazing scenery - great daily excursion options - back for happy hour sharing thoughts on the days events - then a great dinner - evening entertainment - and by then even our teenagers were zonked and ready for bed. If your looking for more activities at night - you likely did take full advantage of the day. We had some do a bike tour from the morning stop to afternoon stop - while others waved to them while having drinks on the sun deck. Some climbed the mountain for the view - while others did a wine tasting in town. They have music and dancing in the lounge - which after some wine - made for some good times. But - most days - you will be pooped and excited about the next day's excursions.

Rather than towel animals on your bed - the staff on the AmaDagio would randomly make fake people with towels and our clothes, shoes, hats, glasses. We would go from cabin to cabin - with drinks - and laugh at their creations.

Amazingly - the AmaPrima had a mini pool on top - with a swim up bar. At night - it is fun to sit up top with a drink and enjoy the scenery too.

At ports we would sometimes walk thru other ships to get to the shore - and we would all notice how much nicer the AMA ships were.

Take full advantage of the excursions - and you won't be disappointed.