NCL Dawn cruise disappointing ..

FormulaRacer

"Platinum perk of complimentary laundry is down to 1 bag per cruise per passenger."

Mary - I thought that was all we were entitled too.

Cheers!

Dennis

In the good old days, if you were on a longer cruise - say 14, 21 or 28 - you would get the comped laundry offer a couple of times during the voyage.

Edited by OceanDreaming2

In the good old days, if you were on a longer cruise - say 14, 21 or 28 - you would get the comped laundry offer a couple of times during the voyage.

Wasn't that out of the goodness of the HD? Doesn't the actual perk state one bag as Dennis said?

I have no idea since I don't have access to an old version of the Platinum perk. :confused:

Don't believe we need to see "old version" of perks because they have not changed. Of that I am certain because the outcry here would have been overwhelming.

Remembering the "good old days" are always so subjective.

The dawn isn't currently lined up for a dry dock so we're looking at least mid 2016 if not later. Ncl doesn't care about the New Orleans market. We had a high end ship for one year since Katrina (star). I'd gladly take the spirit back here but it's kinda small for this market, I believe that's part of why it's in better shape tho.

As announced at a latitudes party on my recent repo cruise - the Dawn is slated for dry dock in 2016 at which time Moderno will be moved to where the Star Bar is and in its place and that occupied by the Blue Lagoon will be a new restaurant similiar to what was recently installed on the Jewel.

As for chocolates on my Bermuda part of the cruise it was the usual 8 pieces but on the repo it was only a box of 4 - wonder if it might have to do with how many Platinum members are on board.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

The dawn isn't currently lined up for a dry dock so we're looking at least mid 2016 if not later. Ncl doesn't care about the New Orleans market. We had a high end ship for one year since Katrina (star). I'd gladly take the spirit back here but it's kinda small for this market, I believe that's part of why it's in better shape tho.

How is the Star a high end ship and the Dawn is not? They are essentially mirror images of each other. :confused:

I was recently speaking with a friend who was on the Dawn for its final Bermuda run this season.

He said that the ship did not appear to be run down, and the food, service and entertainment was fine. They had a great time, and we're looking forward to sailing on the Dawn next summer.

We had fresh flowers in our suite (11/7 Dawn sailing). After a week, we threw them out.

Snacks delivered late every afternoon. Usually after we'd gone to dinner. Since they sat out for hours, they got tossed too.

The first day we received 3 plates of chocolate strawberries. Too many all at once!

The negatives - salmon is no longer on the daily DR menus. Neither is steak. Or fettucini alfredo (that I can remember). Didn't see shrimp cocktail either.

Buffet selection is smaller.

Olives/antipasto is no longer served in LaCucina. Didn't see any olives/nuts, etc. on the buffet.

In the past, DH would ask for a piece of salmon in addition to the filet in LeBistro and it was served at no additional cost. Now they wanted an additional $10 for a piece of fish.

Chocolate buffet is down to an all chocolate desert menu.

Platinum perk of Godiva chocolates is down to 4 pcs.

Platinum perk of complimentary laundry is down to 1 bag per cruise per passenger.

Toiletries (if offered) are in smaller containers.

Gift shop had smaller selection.

Chapel is gone.

If they cut back too much, than so might we. Passengers decide with their pocketbooks, and the lack of offerings can be a deal-breaker for many.

However I don't care about chocolate covered strawberries, but DH loves his salmon. Without steak, salmon and alfredo, what is left on the daily menu?

As for chocolates on my Bermuda part of the cruise it was the usual 8 pieces but on the repo it was only a box of 4 - wonder if it might have to do with how many Platinum members are on board.

Cheers!

Dennis

I think it depends on the current inventory and how the order for the Godiva chocolates was placed by management.

"Platinum perk of complimentary laundry is down to 1 bag per cruise per passenger."

Mary - I thought that was all we were entitled too.

Cheers!

Dennis

on this 14 day repo, I had my laundry done twice and my mother had hers done twice and it was free both times for us....

How is the Star a high end ship and the Dawn is not? They are essentially mirror images of each other. :confused:

The star came here after its dry dock. So it was higher end as in up to date. The dawn came clearly already in partial disrepair if what this and other reviews I've seen are true

I had Getaway booked for January, but had to cancel. To be honest, I wasn't too excited about it after my last NCL experience, but I'm sure I'll eventually get over it and give a new NCL ship a try.

Ref the Jewel Class....I'll probably never know. After cruising the Sky (twice) and Dawn, I forever swore any older NCL ship.

The Sky and Dawn were built in 1999 and 2001 respectively. They are older than the Jewel, Jade and Gem which entered service in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

The Pearl came in 2006 as well. The Jewel class ships have the Great outdoors, for outside buffet, some have bowling alleys, and other great ammenities. I have never tried the mega ships yet, might one some time soon.

So far, the Pearl is my favorite NCL Ship, having done the Panama Canal cruise on it.

Hey, I drive a 2006 car and DH has a 2007. They're both well maintained, and very dependable. Getting us where we want to go and safely home again.