Sapphire Beach Dive Shop Reopended?

ravens.grl

I love sapphire beach in St. Thomas, but they had closed the restrooms and no longer rented chairs during the summer when I was there. Apparently, they had closed in March 2014. I've seen some people post that the dive shop is open and that there are bathrooms and chair rentals again at sapphire. Does anyone know if this correct? Also, has anyone been in person to verify this.

Thank goodness for this thread. We are headed to St. Thomas next week and I wanted to check on the latest for Sapphire (we have never been, but it was top on our list for this cruise).

A few months ago I had read that the iguanas were "aggressive" at the beach. Not sure if that is true or what an aggressive iguana even means. Is this a problem?

Thanks!

Kathi

Thank you for the reply's. Looks like we'll be going to Sapphire again :-)

I have never found the Iguana's to be a problem. Occasionally, they have come a little closer then my comfort level if they see food but this has been when I've been laying still. Once I move around, they move around and we've never had any trouble with them.

• 4 weeks later...

I have spent many hours laying out on Sapphire Beach. The iguanas have never been aggressive unless 1) someone started feeding them or 2) someone tried to grab one.

One afternoon at Sapphire I had to frantically stop a teenage boy who was about to pull one down from a tree so his mom could take his picture with an iguana. :eek::eek::eek:

My husband and I honeymooned at Sapphire Beach 20 years ago. We would like to take our kids there when our cruise stops at St. Thomas. What types of facilities are available there? Food & drinks, bathrooms, snorkel rentals, chair & umbrella rentals,etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I honeymooned at Sapphire Beach 20 years ago. We would like to take our kids there when our cruise stops at St. Thomas. What types of facilities are available there? Food & drinks, bathrooms, snorkel rentals, chair & umbrella rentals,etc.?

Dive shop rents snorkel gear, paddle boards, kayaks, lounges, floaties, 2 food & drink options, a beach grill (Banana Cabana) you can order a good mahi mahi sandwich or burger and drinks, and a restaurant behind the marina. Both have runners taking orders on the beach. Restrooms and makeshift changing rooms and shower. The condo restaurant is currently closed. Abundant shade along the beach.

Thanks to all for being so informative. We were trying to decide whether to go to Trunk or Sapphire. I have been to Trunk before but never to Sapp:cool:hire.

Last and final question. Is the water clear of rocks and shells with no big drop off at the waterline? Bad knees so I need to be careful.

• 4 weeks later...

When we were there a few weeks ago there was a woman and a man walking the beach selling drinks and food. And they do still sell the bucket of beers. I think it was $25 for 6 beers? I found it pricey all together but its really the only palce to get food. We ordered a bushwacker, beer, burger, fries and a fish wrap and it was $43 plus tip. Fish wrap was very tasty though! Dive shop does sell drinks as well.

Have fun!!:)

Can't recall cost of snorkel gear, but they have 1/2 and full day prices. Dive In sells rum punch and US beers for $4, premium for $5. There is a runner (a guy with long hair) from the restaurant and a runner (girl) from the Banana Cabana grill. If Euta was the lady with a cart and rum drinks we've read of her but never saw her the 3 times we've stayed at Sapphire.

Love the mahi mahi sandwich from BC!

• 1 year later...