Allure Propulsion Problems

mecruise79

Not sure if turbo charger is the problem with propulsion. Not questioning turbo charger but that sounds like a generator issue. The azipod are electric motors. There are no turbo chargers on an electric motor. There are 6 engines on the boat. Seems like they could power the other five even if not as big as the one with the turbo problem to get the ship moving. Seems like there is more to the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can any confrim why Allure had to come back tonight?

First I've heard of that. I have not seen a thread about it yet.

Here is a thread about it. It appears that it did not return to port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133068

Edit, I see that you are both aware of the thread since you posted on it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

If this is a turbocharger issue it would only impact 1 out of the 6 independent engines. It seems like 1 engine should not slow down allure that badly. The ship was designed to have at least 1 engine down for maintenance at any given time. RCI isn't saying much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As a matter of fact, during his interview with the Cruise Director shown on the stateroom TV, the Captain did say that only one engine had been shut down and that this only accounted for about one knot of the decreased speed. He repeated several times complete with visual aids that our challenges were weather related.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on the RC website

http://www.******************.com/2013/11/14/royal-caribbean-announces-repairs-allure-of-the-seas-2014

we are on our first cruise on 4 jan to Ec and are obviously disappointed considering in effect only half a day in St Thomas now which we really wanted to see and seems to all but rule out chance to go st john.

I found this on the RC website

http://www.******************.com/2013/11/14/royal-caribbean-announces-repairs-allure-of-the-seas-2014

we are on our first cruise on 4 jan to Ec and are obviously disappointed considering in effect only half a day in St Thomas now which we really wanted to see and seems to all but rule out chance to go st john.

I appears the page is no longer available. Did it say something about future cruises being affected?

From what I could tell from the link you posted, it was in reference to a RCCL page that was from November of 2013 prior to it needing repairs to the azipod last year. This should not affect your cruise since those repairs were done a year ago. There have been reports here of one azipod being shut down, but it only slowing the ship down 1 knot. You should be able to hopefully make your entire stay in St. Thomas. Please let us know otherwise if you hear anything else since we have the same itinerary on the Allure this March.

Edited by Russ Lomas
wanted to add more info

We also have an upcoming cruise on Allure this February and hope this problem isn't going to effect the sailing. Maybe someone sailing now will post live or post a review when they return to keep us updated.

Edited by SF