San Juan Question

mikechass

Hi there everyone.

I am sure I could post this on the SJ port board but I thought I would ask here first.

I wanted to take some things to SJ when we sail out of there in January.

We are very blessed and have the ability to not want or need for anything that is really important in our day to day lives, and even more blessed to be taking a two week cruise as well.

We have our health, a home, we all love each other and we laugh every day.

I wanted to bring some things to donate to the children of San Juan.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas where I would go to find out somewhere that I can send the stuff once we are there.

I don't mind even leaving it for the families of the staff at our hotel.

I just wanted to take a few things that could be helpful or enjoyed by some of the children in San Juan.

I know cash is king, but I wanted to give my kids an idea about how lots of the things they take for granted here (school supplies, clothes, basic toys) are all things that children in other countries wish for.

It would be nice to be able to bring a couple back packs with us to hand out to those who could use it.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I appreciate it.

Both my kids teachers would be willing to help collect stuff too from the other kids in class.

As well both my kids play hockey and I am certain my hockey teams would want to participate as well.

So let the ideas roll!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Chass

Hi. First of all, thank you very much for your generosity! :) I'm from Puerto Rico, and although we benefit from being a US Commonwealth, and the extreme poverty witnessed in other countries is thankfully not as evident in our island, there's still a lot of people that will benefit from the generosity of others.

With that said, there are two organizations that I can think of that can hopefully assist you. Fondos Unidos is an organization that deals with all groups and all ages. The other one is POSI (Pontificias Obras - Santa Infancia). This one deals with children, from newborns to teenagers. This organization is trough the Catholic Church (remember that the population in Puerto Rico is overwhelmingly Catholic, so the church's involvement in the community is huge). Hopefully one or the other can tell you more how you can best help them.

To contact Fondos Unidos: http://www.211pr.org

To contact POSI: infanciamisionera@omp-puertorico.com

Once again. THANK YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Hi!!!

Im was going to chime in as quick as I could but TAPI beat

me to it.:D:D

Most of the charities in PR are well organized and work

thru donations.

Here is a link to most of the foundations in PR.

decadm.uprrp.edu/docs/cbep2010.pdf

If it doesnt work just google it. Its in spanish... :(:(

If its clothing, shoes or toys that you want to share

the kids in the domican republic or haiti are extremely grateful.

Thats whom I donate these items to.

Usually church folks will forward them.

Thx and always be blessed.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I am sooo happy to have a plan in place.

I don't speak spanish, but will attempt to get something written and use a translator app to get it sent in something they understand!

Thanks again for the prompt response.

I am thrilled to be able to get this all figured out.

YEAH!!!

Have a super day.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I am sooo happy to have a plan in place.

I don't speak spanish, but will attempt to get something written and use a translator app to get it sent in something they understand!

Thanks again for the prompt response.

I am thrilled to be able to get this all figured out.

YEAH!!!

Have a super day.

Why San Juan? Plenty of other places you are visiting that need donations a lot worse

I don't speak spanish, but will attempt to get something written and use a translator app to get it sent in something they understand!.

I'm positive that if you write in English, they'll understand. English is widely spoken in the island, and if you're dealing with one of these organizations, they probably need to know English anyway.

Edited by Tapi

Why San Juan? Plenty of other places you are visiting that need donations a lot worse

It's true that Puerto Rico is not remotely as oppressed as other places. In fact life down there resembles in many ways life in the US mainland.

Maybe not in as many numbers, but just like there are people in dire need in the US, there's also people in dire need in PR, Who the OP chooses to share his blessings with is completely up to him. A child in need is a child in need no matter where. :o

Edited by Tapi

Well I guess my answer for you SeaUS would be WHY NOT??

We are four people in a small room on a cruise ship. No real space for a bunch of extras once we are on the ship. We are planning mostly beach days while away and I thought that since we are overnighting in SJ before and after the cruise, we would have the most time to find somewhere that would be okay with us coming and dropping stuff off.

If we spend some time the day we board the ship, we know we have another 24 hours after the cruise to explore the city plus we get to start things off on the right foot.

The group that call themselves Critters here on Cc have done similar in Labadee,1 year school supplies the next Musical instruments.We where on school supply cruise and brought a bunch of stuff.They did take it further than You are planning because they organized and asked there roll call all to donate. RCL supplied transportation of school supplies if I Remember correctly.Its always good to give when you can.

Puerto Ricans might actually get offended if you give them charity without being asked for it. The poverty levels are not the same as other caribbean islands. PR grts federal fundings for almost

everything. Just go to the big malls. They have the same chain stores and restaurants as US mainland, so you better give your supplies to other islands where they might benefit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well I guess my answer for you SeaUS would be WHY NOT??

We are four people in a small room on a cruise ship. No real space for a bunch of extras once we are on the ship. We are planning mostly beach days while away and I thought that since we are overnighting in SJ before and after the cruise, we would have the most time to find somewhere that would be okay with us coming and dropping stuff off.

If we spend some time the day we board the ship, we know we have another 24 hours after the cruise to explore the city plus we get to start things off on the right foot.

But why? Dropping off donations in San Juan is almost like a UK resident dropping off donations in Miami.

There are probably other places you are visiting that can use what you offer a whole lot more

I highly doubt anyone would be insulted if I brought a backpack of stuff to donate.

I can't believe you'd think that on the entire island there isn't any one who could use a little something extra.

That's ridiculous.

Also, if you have been to Miami, I am CERTAIN you have seen some of the down and out people around town who would never sneer or turn their nose up at someone who wanted to give them a little something extra.

We have cruised out of that city several times. I have seen homeless people every single time we are there. Every place in the world has someone who needs a hand up... how absurd to think that an entire country isn't in need of anything.

Its a public board, you can say what you want I suppose. Go ahead,

think I'm a fool, think I am shoving school supplies at a well off kid shopping at the mall with friends or to those who aren't in need to make my kids and our family feel like we have done our part....whatever you want is fine by me.

When the first response on my thread is by someone who lives in PR and they say there are people who would be happy to receive something from someone else I think I will go with their opinion.

Also, when the second post is providing an actual link to a list of places who accept donations in that country to help people in need, those are the folks I will listen to.

Thanks to those who offered advice and information.

We will contact those places and make a plan.

I appreciate the time it takes to answer on here.

Every place in the world has someone who needs a hand up... how absurd to think that an entire country isn't in need of anything.

Please...it's a territory of the US. If you're going to go there with things to give them, might be good to brush up on the history of it. It's a different country to you, since you're Canadian, but it's still a part of the US.

Give where you want to give, no one can stop you, but the point of the other poster is that there are likely people in need in your own town. Why not give to them, now, instead? (or to both?)

I am WELL aware that SJ is part of the US

The poster mentioned how giving something in SJ is as silly as giving in Miami. If you took the time to read things instead of being so presumptuous you would see that my mention of Miami and SJ were BOTH included in saying a whole country. The United States was that country. TYVM

Perhaps you could read the entire post before picking it apart and misquoting someone.

Oh and I'm just wondering...How do you know I don't give here?

Where was it said that the only donations I provide are in other countries.

Again talk about presumption!!!

Glad you feel so entitled to jump in and make assumptions.

Guess thats the joy of social media and a public board...

Happy Holidays to you all, maybe Santa can bring those of you with so many judgemental views the ability to have an open mind and more of a giving spirit.

I am WELL aware that SJ is part of the US

The poster mentioned how giving something in SJ is as silly as giving in Miami. If you took the time to read things instead of being so presumptuous you would see that my mention of Miami and SJ were BOTH included in saying a whole country. The United States was that country. TYVM

Perhaps you could read the entire post before picking it apart and misquoting someone.

Oh and I'm just wondering...How do you know I don't give here?

Where was it said that the only donations I provide are in other countries.

Again talk about presumption!!!

Glad you feel so entitled to jump in and make assumptions.

Guess thats the joy of social media and a public board...

Happy Holidays to you all, maybe Santa can bring those of you with so many judgemental views the ability to have an open mind and more of a giving spirit.

Some of the comments here towards your act of kindness are amazing,

looks like the old saying "no good deed, goes unpunished" is alive and well,

I am sure whoever benefits from your gift will be happy.

I have no advice or recommendations but I think it's important to recognize folks who attempt to respond to the inequities in this world. It is an overwhelming challenge and how to make one's efforts count and have the desired effect is not easy.

Thanks for making the effort . . .

Wow, I bet you never thought you'd be practically attacked for trying to do something nice! Crazy.

I'll never understand why some on these boards don't actually answer a question or give helpful advice, but instead criticize or give snide comments. Apparently some people just have too much time on their hands.

It's a great thing you are doing to donate! Have a great cruise!! :)

If your kids are animal lovers, you may want to help abused/abandoned animals while you're on vacation. There's one for cats in Old San Juan, and quite a few for dogs throughout the island. I'm not affiliated with any of them, but I did rescue two satos (slang for PR street dog) that were abandoned on the side of the road as 6 week old puppies who have become the best, most loving pets!

This one is for cats in OSJ and has ideas on how to help when on vacation - http://www.saveagato.com/#!volunteer/cynr

This is for dogs all over the island: https://www.facebook.com/saveasato

This one is on the other side of the island, but I'm not sure if they have a contact in OSJ or not: https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadDogBeachProject

and just because I love them, here are my little satos, Roxy & Rico :)

IMG_5524.jpg.12ba74b7108b58ca1944ab6423a51f08.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg.2c255869acd29cd7541e93587ba6f8ab.jpg

Thanks for the original post. We too have brought things and have used 2 methods for distributing. First I have contacted the hotel manager and asked if there were any workers with kids who were in special need and had him or her help us find and give the "packages" to them. What joy for us to see the faces of happiness and surprise....including the manager! If it is a large hotel we have also used the concierge to help us find an orphanage or shelter nearby and we have taxied over to pass out the gifts. We have done this in many countries, as my girls were adopted from very needy countries, and they have found it to be a highlight of many a trip. Have fun! Blessings!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app