HAL Hollywood Beach post-cruise excursion

dot73

My flight out of FLL after my cruise is not until 7:00 p.m. I have previously done the everglades and sea and shore excursions and now am thinking of the Hollywood Beach excursion. Has anyone taken this excursion? Is there enough to do within walking distance to keep myself occupied for 7 hours? Thank you.

I personally think Hollywood Beach is one of the remaining gems of the 'Golden 30/40/50's of Old Florida.' Not as glitzy as South Beach, but a lot of the small motels and guesthouses date from the Art Deco period of South Florida. The boardwalk is amazing. There are plenty of shops and restaurants; not high end, just fun. The beach is very nice and wide. It has the same international ambience of Miami Beach, just lower on the $$$ end. You can walk for miles, and if it's hot there are showers about every 1/10 mile to cool off. While we are doing Fort Lauderdale before our upcoming cruise we normally do Hollywood Beach before or after. I think you can easily do 6 hours with a nice long lunch.

Dennis

I personally think Hollywood Beach is one of the remaining gems of the 'Golden 30/40/50's of Old Florida.' Not as glitzy as South Beach, but a lot of the small motels and guesthouses date from the Art Deco period of South Florida. The boardwalk is amazing. There are plenty of shops and restaurants; not high end, just fun. The beach is very nice and wide. It has the same international ambience of Miami Beach, just lower on the $$$ end. You can walk for miles, and if it's hot there are showers about every 1/10 mile to cool off. While we are doing Fort Lauderdale before our upcoming cruise we normally do Hollywood Beach before or after. I think you can easily do 6 hours with a nice long lunch.

Dennis

I've often wondered about this excursion. Thank you for the information. It sounds good. I may try it sometime.

Thx to the OP as well for asking this question.

We did this last January because we too had a late flight. It included a nice place to hang out inside if you wanted to use their WIFI, have snacks and leave your carry ons plus a pass for the HOHO trolly. We strolled the Boardwalk, rode the Trolly and had a lovely lunch beside the the inland waterway. We felt it was very well managed and made for a stress free departure.

Thank you for your information. It looks like a nice way to spend a few hours. If I love the area, I may spend a couple of days there next time I sail out of FLL. I did that with Key West after my last cruise and it was a nice way to end the vacation.

My flight out of FLL after my cruise is not until 7:00 p.m. I have previously done the everglades and sea and shore excursions and now am thinking of the Hollywood Beach excursion. Has anyone taken this excursion? Is there enough to do within walking distance to keep myself occupied for 7 hours? Thank you.

I would love to do that excursion. We booked it last February because we, too, had a late flight...and not enough booked it so it didn't materialize. We repeated the Sea and Shore Excursion (or whatever it's called). We've also done the Everglades.

Any of the excursions are a great way to spend the day!

We booked it on board our cruise at the end of via the disembarkation paperwork we were returning to the front office. As soon as the gal saw it she asked if we had an "alternate choice in case it was cancelled". I had a feeling she knew something we did not so we just chose airport transfers as a backup. Sure enough a couple of days later we got the notice that due to lack of bookings the operator had advised HAL to cancel.

I thought it would be great, but I would check with shore excursions desk on board to see if there's even a chance it's a go on your cruise seeing as it's been cancelled other times as well.

Wasn't a big deal to us and yes FLL offers luggage storage, I'm not super clear on the details but it's kind of daytime office hours I believe...

Carla

Dot73 I think we may be on the same cruise in January . i grew up in Miami now live in Maine . I had never been to Hollywood Beach until 3 years ago before our first HAL cruise . We fly in 3 or 4 days before our cruise and just chill with family . I love it . Its like south Florida was when i was a kid growing up there in the 70's . I highly recommend it for a pre or post cruise place to stay . Frank

Sorry bout the second post but we also fly out late from FLL after cruises . We use luggage direct , yes it costs a few $$ but its so convenient that i think its worth it . Fill out a form , throw your bags in the hall on the last night and pooof they arrive at the airport baggage claim when you get home . Priceless . Frank

Hi Dot73

We have already "met" through the Roll Call .

I am so glad you asked this question We have booked this tour as we have to get back to Miami for a late evening flight and have planned to meet some friends for lunch there so I do hope they don`t cancell it. Guess I need to keep my fingers crossed and ...perhaps a plan B may be sensible.

Chris