Blue Kay

eliterror

That's really awesome. I've loved seeing the differences and all that has gone into the area. I've read through a few of your reviews and such and you do an awesome job of really describing the area.

A couple of more small questions mitsugirly. What's the average water depth for snorkeling from the beach at Blue Kay? And do they have floatation vest available?

I really fell in love with snorkeling on my last cruise at Coco Cay and all your awesome pictures has me excited to snorkel at Mahahaul. I'm not a natural floater though, even in salt water and am just wondering if I'll have to invest in a vest so I can snorkel along for longer than a couple of minutes. Of course, this might not be that big of a problem if there is great snorkeling with plenty of shallower areas to rest in.

That's really awesome. I've loved seeing the differences and all that has gone into the area. I've read through a few of your reviews and such and you do an awesome job of really describing the area.

A couple of more small questions mitsugirly. What's the average water depth for snorkeling from the beach at Blue Kay? And do they have floatation vest available?

I really fell in love with snorkeling on my last cruise at Coco Cay and all your awesome pictures has me excited to snorkel at Mahahaul. I'm not a natural floater though, even in salt water and am just wondering if I'll have to invest in a vest so I can snorkel along for longer than a couple of minutes. Of course, this might not be that big of a problem if there is great snorkeling with plenty of shallower areas to rest in.

Without a relatively long swim snorkeling along the entire area south of the cruise terminal is best described as marginal. The bottom is very sandy and flat. There are a few small fish around the rocks but until you get out to the reef not much to see. The reef is swimable, but it is not close.

If you are not comfortable being in the water for long periods without flotation be sure and use a vest.

I'm honestly not sure if they have the snorkeling vest or not since we have our own equipment that we take with us every cruise. They rent a snorkeling package (which also includes the use of the bikes and kayaks). You could email them and ask if it includes the vest. They are usually pretty good to answer back.

Here's the best way I can describe the snorkeling.

Right beside the edge of the beach and standing looking at the water you will find some rocks which seem to have tons of fish there (and some very interesting ones when we were there). If you are to stand up in this area, it's probably around knee deep to just below your chest. You actually have to sit or lay down around the area and just stick you head under the water to take a look. Super simple to do. It's the area to the right by the volleyball net.

PB130371%20copy-L.jpg

If you go to the area that you see darker in the photo, that's a grassy area. You will see fish and things in that area as well, but you really have to look. These are all areas that would not be over your head.

Now getting out to where the coral rocks and more stuff are is out by the rocks directly ahead of the beach. In this picture you can see the water crashing over them and this shot was taken from the beach.

PB130393%20copy-L.jpg

Now of course the tide changes, but when we were there, you could stand up MOST of the way if you wanted to. There was only 1 small area that you would have to swim over and the sandy/rocky floor dips down some. It's not very far, but if you have a problem swimming or floating, you would probably need a flotation device.

But once you are over it, it becomes shallow again...actually very shallow. In places it gets so shallow that you can't go any further.

PB130213%20copy-L.jpg

Of course by no means is this considered "excellent" snorkeling and I don't even know if you consider it a "reef" but there's tons of live coral out there and fish. So it's definitely an interesting area to explore.

PB130216%20copy-L.jpg

PB130226%20copy-L.jpg

PB130231%20copy-L.jpg

And of course I'm sure you seen all the other corals in my review. Just saying, there's tons to see out there and definitely worth exploring out there. I found a lot of different kinds of coral and they were quite beautiful.