St Petersburg on our own

Sadly I got my info on a single entry visa from the Consulate because I was trying to apply for a 2 entry visa and it would not let me have 2 enties on consecutive days.

We have booked a hotel and are just planning to stay off the ship at this point.

The cruise line has not responded but hopefully they will let us back on the next day.

Sadly I got my info on a single entry visa from the Consulate because I was trying to apply for a 2 entry visa and it would not let me have 2 enties on consecutive days.

We have booked a hotel and are just planning to stay off the ship at this point.

The cruise line has not responded but hopefully they will let us back on the next day.

We're sorry to hear that . But we think that you will enjoy your overnight in St. Petersburg , because there is lots to do and see and you have the freedom to walk around as you please . You may want to notify the ships Captain in writing , of your intention to stay ashore overnight . We once requested permission to leave the ship in St. Petersburg and rejoin it , at a different port , later in the cruise . It was granted and so they approved and documented our intentions in advance .

That is too bad that no one told you how to apply. A visa is good for 2 consecutive days but you needed to apply for a longer visa. When you exit and re-enter within that visa validity date span makes no different. The Tourist Visa can be applied for up to 30 days or 3 years depending on the invitation you received. If the visa agency did not recommend a longer visa duration they did you a real disservice but probably did not know the rules.

These sorts of problems with bad or incomplete information is very common with 3rd party visa services which is why I always suggest doing the application yourself.

As I said my application was based on information provided by a Russian government official. I'm not sure what else I could've done.

I do agree the visa processing agency should have assisted me better. What is interesting is they did for my partners and he has his right

Just an update...

A friend, who is Russian, called her Embassy for us and... they don't have a clue :)

The first person said that I didn't even need a Visa, she hung up on him! 2nd person said my one entry was fine. Third person said it was not fine, but I could possibly "upgrade" it there (she equated this to bribery and recommended I skip it!)

We are going the stay overnight in hotel route LOL!

Just an update...

A friend, who is Russian, called her Embassy for us and... they don't have a clue :)

The first person said that I didn't even need a Visa, she hung up on him! 2nd person said my one entry was fine. Third person said it was not fine, but I could possibly "upgrade" it there (she equated this to bribery and recommended I skip it!)

We are going the stay overnight in hotel route LOL!

Not to be picky, but did she call her Embassy or her Consulate? I wouldn't expect anyone in the Embassy to know! That's not the Embassy personnel's area of responsibility. It's the Consulate folks who handle Visas.

If your friend didn't call the Consulate, you may want to ask her to make a second phone call. OTOH, you may be perfectly happy to stay overnight in a hotel and put this problem in the done list.

Not to be picky, but did she call her Embassy or her Consulate? I wouldn't expect anyone in the Embassy to know! That's not the Embassy personnel's area of responsibility. It's the Consulate folks who handle Visas.

If your friend didn't call the Consulate, you may want to ask her to make a second phone call. OTOH, you may be perfectly happy to stay overnight in a hotel and put this problem in the done list.

Sorry, but you are being picky LOL!

Seriously, she's a Russian National. She called her government. They don't have a CLUE.

OK We have a new hotel, we have the cruise line's "OK" to not go home... Now on to the tough part.

CRAMMING EVERYTHING IN!

A couple of questions in case anyone knows.

1. Are churches closed on Wednesday? I have two guidebooks with two different responses and the web pages I find I am not sure are really "official"

2. Any recommendations for a late night cruise tour? I am thinking we would go to the Fabrage Museum after 6 PM and then we could take a boat ride (With the schedule I am laying out I am not sure why I bothered with a hotel LOL!)

Edited by Carolla5501

scubacruiser...thanks for the info.

It helped us make the decision that we need incorporate this into a land trip.

We were thinking of a cruise but the in port time will not 'do it' for us. Great pictures.

scubacruiser...thanks for the info.

It helped us make the decision that we need incorporate this into a land trip.

We were thinking of a cruise but the in port time will not 'do it' for us. Great pictures.

Glad to be of help and that you have a spirit of adventure . :) :D