Intercontinental to POM on Marathon Day

tarps14

We are doing a back to back in Jan. We will be disembarking the NCL Getaway on Jan 24th and spending the night at the Intercontinental near the port. We then embark the NCL Epic on Sunday, Jan 25th, which is the day of the marathon. How much problem are we going to have getting a cab from the hotel to the port that morning? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: At this point we have a rental car with a pick-up and drop-off at MIA. We also have not booked the Intercontinental as yet but have found a great rate. Another question: would we be better off forgetting the rental car and relying on cabs to get us back and forth to the port? Or would it be better all around to just stay somewhere out from downtown and return the rental car to MIA and take a cab to the port that morning? I can't imagine they would prevent cabs from getting back and forth to the port.

Edited by tarps14

Stay at the intercontential. It is fun to watch the runners in the morning. It is a really big deal. We did exactly your plan last year for DCL and it worked out fine. The cops will guide you along a back route but it still takes a long time for what normally would be a 2 minute drive. No way would I have wanted to be out of downtown and fighting the crowds to get to the ship. The city is in gridlock.

We are doing a back to back in Jan. We will be disembarking the NCL Getaway on Jan 24th and spending the night at the Intercontinental near the port. We then embark the NCL Epic on Sunday, Jan 25th, which is the day of the marathon. How much problem are we going to have getting a cab from the hotel to the port that morning? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: At this point we have a rental car with a pick-up and drop-off at MIA. We also have not booked the Intercontinental as yet but have found a great rate. Another question: would we be better off forgetting the rental car and relying on cabs to get us back and forth to the port? Or would it be better all around to just stay somewhere out from downtown and return the rental car to MIA and take a cab to the port that morning? I can't imagine they would prevent cabs from getting back and forth to the port.

Definitely stay downtown at the Intercontinental, DO NOT rent a car!

A car will be expensive and a nightmare. Parking will run you $24+ a night.

So I didn't know anything about this marathon until reading this thread, we are disembarking the Breeze on the 25th. Flight is at 2:30. Should I expect any issues?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No worries....we disembarked marathon day a few years ago and it didn't affect us at all.

At this point we have a rental car with a pick-up and drop-off at MIA...

Personally I wouldn't do this. You'll still have to get to the pier from the airport - a lot of wasted time, in my opinion. I would not rent a car at all; it looks like it will be more of a liability than an asset.