Our Final Look at Freedom Pre-Drydock:Dec 7th (Including Western Compass)

APDMOM

CC Meet and Mingle and the Captain's Corner

We had this invitation waiting for us when we first walked into the room:

MampM_zps27dd382c.jpeg

This is where the fun began for the day. We went to the CC Meet and Mingle. Although it was kind of difficult to mingle with the setup in Olive or Twist, Jeremie, the Activities director, gave some helpful information about the ship and dry-dock. He confirmed that My Time Dining is being tested at this time. The fleet introduced this concept based upon reviews. Apparently, a majority of people prefer to have their own scheduled dining, so if you want a change, complete those post cruise surveys. They are looking at reviews to test Dynamic Dining's success. Jeremie was entertaining and informative, but I liked the way Cuddy on Indy had set up a game to help encourage more interaction among CC members.

Tip: On the confirmed list, it stated that our M&M was set for 12 am on Monday in Olive or Twist. I assumed it was just an am/pm typo. However, the time was actually 10 am for our meeting, so make sure you register, because you may not know the real time and location for the meeting if you just look at the confirmed list. You can only get the invitation in your room if you register. Here is the link to register for a Meet and Mingle:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

I almost skipped the M&M, since there were so many things happening during that hour. I quickly headed down to the captain's corner where there was an excellent Q&A session with the captain and the officers. This group of people obviously enjoy working together, especially Captain Tor and the Hotel Director, Michael Rasmussen. They had me laughing so much! They often had a witty comment when a guest asked a question. They

shared info about the propeller issue, upcoming dry dock, and interesting general info about the ship.

For dry dock, I caught that they are adding staterooms to deck 12 forward, where the jogging track goes around the spa. The spa will therefore no longer have windows to see the ocean. The Krypt is moving to Olive or Twist area, and that space will also become staterooms on one level, and Sabor on another level. I don't know if it will still be named the Krypt, but it will still be a night club. Izumi is being added. The Cupcake Cupboard is moving to a different location, jokingly being called the Cupcake Locker. Giovanni's will replace Portofino. I know I missed some of the info,as I could not type fast enough on my iPod, but this is some of what we heard at the M&M and Captain's Corner.

Tip: Do not miss Captain's Corner! It is a lot of fun with some interesting information. Come, ask the questions you were always wondering about.

Speaking of the staff, here is our team this cruise:

FOS2_zps381f04bb.jpeg

Edited by APDMOM
typo

Time to Spa

I decided to splurge and get a Keratin hair treatment at the spa, in preparation of the first formal dinner. I figured we could spend a little more on the ship than we normally do, since Royal allowed us to keep our great deal. Katie did a great job with my hair. We will see how it holds up, but I liked the type of treatment they use at my "land" salon better than the one they used on the ship. It was still fun to be pampered. I would have loved to keep the pampering going with the Free Ladies' makeover at 1 p.m, but our ice show was due to start at 2 p.m., with doors opening at 1:30 p.m. There were two more opportunities during the week for the free demos, but I was tired of the sales pitch agenda...

Freedom Ice.com

Like last year, this ice show was absolutely spectacular! It was a little bit different from our previous cruise, with a hula hoop act replacing the "Around the world" act. This may just be a different variation of the show, but it was excellent. I took a lot of pictures (without flash, as required) since it was just such an amazing show!

Tip: Make your reservations online before the cruise. Be sure to show up about 40-45 minutes early, as the line was already past On Air by the time we got there (around 1:20). Some people cut in line, thinking we did not have reservations. When we told them it was the line with reservations that was so long, they still cut in line, trying to get to the front. You just have to grin and not let it bother you. We still got front row seats.

DSCN7560_zpse47be027.jpeg

DSCN7649_zps1ee9ba4e.jpeg

DSCN7692_zps34987c59.jpeg

DSCN7706_zps960f9d96.jpeg

DSCN7655_zps1a0d4095.jpeg

DSCN7720_zpsc3c6ce55.jpeg

Tip for parents: If you have small children, be sure to sit in the front row. During the show 2 pirate ships come out and they give 4 small children from the audience a ride on the ship.

DSCN7833_zps58b2c901.jpeg

DSCN7899_zps3a8ccf71.jpeg

This lady is amazing!

DSCN7768_zps4efafa41.jpeg

DSCN7775_zps9c8c1fa5.jpeg

DSCN7776_zpsdc22b805.jpeg

Welcome Back Party

Thanks to recent reports here on CC, I knew that we no longer get invitations to the Welcome Back party. I therefore knew to look closely at all papers provided. Sure enough, it was highlighted on the C&A paper that explains our level benefits.

Platinum1_zps22b97fdb.jpeg

So, after the ice show, we had just over an hour to dress for formal night, then head down to the Welcome Back party. They had a very small variety of drinks, but I enjoyed a mimosa and some repeated info about the ship dry dock.

DSCN7962_zps4210c34a.jpeg

DSCN7963_zps400973d0.jpeg

My Favorite Dinner

For dinner, I enjoyed the chilled banana rum soup and artichoke crepes. Those are both excellent! I could eat those crepes every day! I would never have ordered them if I had not seen them mentioned in a few reviews... thanks to CC again!

DSCN7999_zps98518454.jpeg

DH got the duck, which he really enjoyed. It was his first experience eating duck, and we were impressed with how tender it was. The beef tenderloin also made rounds at our table, and was very good. I decided to skip dessert. Nothing stood out to me. As many have mentioned, the desserts in the MDR don't impress me much. Maybe it is because it is the only course I make really well at home... LOL!

Marquee

We closed a beautiful evening out with the show. As you enter, you get a glass of champagne, as it is also part of the "Captain's Reception". First, we were introduced to the staff, and entertained by Dru stealing Captain Tor's champagne. He is the designated 'driver', after all.

DSCN8012_zpse8ed03b4.jpeg

DSCN8016_zps49884527.jpeg

As far as Marquee is concerned: from a "personal taste" point of view, the sound was too loud, and a lot of the ladies' singing was too shrill/forced. A couple of songs were done excellently, though, so it was a mixed bag to me. I look forward to our next cruise on FOS in November 2015 to see some new production shows. I hope they get rid of those ugly final act ladies' costumes...eek!!!

Enjoying your review and pictures, thank you for posting. FOS is my favorite ship. :)

You are welcome :) FOS is our favorite ship so far, also. We will see if we change our loyalty next year after Oasis... ;)

I can relate to MDR table problem, last month I was on the Allure and two of our tablemates were Diamond members who kept coming to dinner 20/30 minutes late saying they were in the Diamond Club, like that was a valid excuse. Once they got seated all they could talk about was the free eats and drinks and how great it was to be a Diamond member, this went on and on, and got to the point we ate in the Windjammer the last three nights of the cruise.

Enjoying your review and pictures, thank you for posting. FOS is my favorite ship. :)

I feel the same way. As for Freedom being my favorite ship, that is part of the reason we are going back on Freedom next May. The wife says Allure is her favorite, but I think mine is Freedom, but its been since 2008 so I need a refresher ;) I'm enjoying the pictures, while some of it is a great reminder, Freedom has made many changes since I was last on. Heck, the last time I was on Freedom and went to Labadee it was a tender port! I'll be sure to report on the change to Freedom after the January dry dock.

I saw your picture of Cupcake Cupboard. That wasn't there in 2008 and there is a rumor it maybe gone in the upcoming drydock work.

Does anyone know what part of the spa they are taking away to create more cabins? I hope they don't eliminate the sauna and steam rooms. Those are a great feature.

I don't believe that take anything away from the spa. The staterooms are installed just outside the existing spa windows. In other words, no more windows to the outside from the spa.

I don't believe that take anything away from the spa. The staterooms are installed just outside the existing spa windows. In other words, no more windows to the outside from the spa.

They could remove the boxing ring and make an interior suite :D

Noise I assume? I'm headed to trip advisor, I have booked this place for our cruise.

Yes. There is a tiki bar by the pool and some reviews said that it is noisy by the pool until late at night. I like to join the noise some, but when it is time to sleep, I like a quiet area :D

I feel the same way. As for Freedom being my favorite ship, that is part of the reason we are going back on Freedom next May. The wife says Allure is her favorite, but I think mine is Freedom, but its been since 2008 so I need a refresher ;) I'm enjoying the pictures, while some of it is a great reminder, Freedom has made many changes since I was last on. Heck, the last time I was on Freedom and went to Labadee it was a tender port! I'll be sure to report on the change to Freedom after the January dry dock.

I saw your picture of Cupcake Cupboard. That wasn't there in 2008 and there is a rumor it maybe gone in the upcoming drydock work.

Cupcake Cupboard is just moving to a smaller location. The captain and hotel director joked about calling it the "Cupboard Pantry" :D

Does anyone know what part of the spa they are taking away to create more cabins? I hope they don't eliminate the sauna and steam rooms. Those are a great feature.

They are not taking away from the spa, according to a spa staff member I talked to. They are just getting a fresh look. The new cabins will be in front of the spa, where the jogging track currently is. I will post a pic later of Navigator, which already had this done.

This is more or less what the cabins will look like on FOS after dry dock. The red arrows point to oceanview and balcony cabins that will replace a part of the jogging track. The spa will no longer have windows.

DSCN8177_zps48dc9563.jpeg

Day 3: Labadee, Haiti

Sunrise

My intention was to sleep in after my busy sea day. Alas, I woke up at 5:30 and my camera was calling... sunrise was coming, after all. Another cloudy horizon was in sight, so I just strolled along the quiet ship. Come, walk with me.

The promenade lighting changes a lot during day and night. Here is softer lighting of the early morning:

DSCN8018_zpsac972d37.jpeg

Beautiful stairways

DSCN8020_zps7bdf1a07.jpeg

A view from the helipad: People frequently ask how to get there. Just exit the doors on deck 4 to the outside deck, walk forward, go up the stairs, and you will see a few more stairs to the helipad.

DSCN8048_zps8a5de0cb.jpeg

Sunrise beyond the helipad:

DSCN8050_zps737af3fe.jpeg

At first, I thought deck 4 was closed, because the 'automatic' sliding door did not open. That is when I noticed they now have this bar you push to open the door.

DSCN8053_zps3807b727.jpeg

Boleros: Tip: This is often a nice and quiet area during the day to enjoy a good book. It is just one deck down from the Promenade Cafe, so it is easy to sneak up and grab a coffee or snack.

DSCN8024_zps139b1ff4.jpeg

DSCN8022_zpsfb4129e4.jpeg

The main dining room:

DSCN8031_zpsbfbafc76.jpeg

DSCN8033_zps81dd7abb.jpeg

DSCN8035_zpsa662103e.jpeg