Where's the ice?

Davey Wavey

Our recent cruise on the Splendor, we had no metal ice bucket in the room. We thought it was an oversight. When it wasn't there after turndown service, we called to get ice. Room steward confirmed they no longer put them in the room except by request. After that, the bucket and our cooler were kept filled twice a day.

We always carry a small foam cooler. The kind they ship mail order steaks in. It's about 10"x10" with 2" thick foam. It holds ice for days. The steward keeps it full for us and it works a whole lot better than the cheap metal ice buckets Carnival supplies.

Our recent cruise on the Splendor, we had no metal ice bucket in the room. We thought it was an oversight. When it wasn't there after turndown service, we called to get ice. Room steward confirmed they no longer put them in the room except by request. After that, the bucket and our cooler were kept filled twice a day.

This has been going on for a while, but they seem to be pretty bad at communicating this change. Something tells me they actually think everyone feeds Facebook.

Actually I think the first place I saw that you may have to request ice was on these boards well over a year ago. Our last cruise on the Fascination in early 2013 we did not have an ice bucket when we got to the room. At the time I got the vast majority of my info from here and knew that I just had to simply ask. I did - and never had to ask again the entirety of the cruise.

One time when I had gotten my husband the beer cooler from Bon Voyage as a gift - the steward even kept that filled with ice the entire cruise.

Even when things have not been 100% - I have never had an issue with getting it fixed and in a timely fashion with a pleasant request.

I was already having problems getting ice in the evening on my cruise four years ago. I would call housekeeping to request it, and they said call room service, which I did (and tipped for). It came in one of those plastic buckets that they put buckets of beer in.

Last month on my cruise, I was already not expecting to get ice, and indeed there was no ice bucket. I didn't really think I needed it though, but I bought a bottle of wine in St Martin and took a chance on boarding with it, and pretty much expecting to have it taken from me and held till the last night. I got on with it no questions asked, so call me a smuggler:p

That was day three, and I had a super room steward (Angel, on the Freedom, empress deck forward), so when I saw him in the hallway, I asked if he could possibly get me some ice for the evening. Of course and with a smile from Angel, the filled ice bucket was there every evening for the rest of the cruise.

I didn't realize this was the case now. We simply asked for ice via note on the first turn-down and had it twice a day without fail. We even picked up one of the plastic buckets at a bar for champagne one day and he filled that until I finally took it to the lido one afternoon!

I guess not everyone needs ice so why take the time and effort? If you don't carry soda on then most of your other needs can be taken care of in other places. We were pretty close to lido ice and I even filled it myself a few times.

I guess not everyone needs ice so why take the time and effort? If you don't carry soda on then most of your other needs can be taken care of in other places. We were pretty close to lido ice and I even filled it myself a few times.

True. We almost never use ice in our room, so the ice bucket would just take up valuable real estate on the counter top. But it's nice to know that if for some reason we do want it, we can request some.