London or Harwich

mighty13

Cruising out of Harwich this June on the Brilliance and will be arriving a day early. I was wondering if it is best to get a room in Central London or just travel and spend the night in Harwich.

A little info about me, will be traveling with 3 other family members(all adults) none of us have toured any European countries although I have traveled through France and Germany on business. I am not looking to spend more than $250 a room and am looking at getting 2 separate rooms.

Cruising out of Harwich this June on the Brilliance and will be arriving a day early. I was wondering if it is best to get a room in Central London or just travel and spend the night in Harwich.

A little info about me, will be traveling with 3 other family members(all adults) none of us have toured any European countries although I have traveled through France and Germany on business. I am not looking to spend more than $250 a room and am looking at getting 2 separate rooms.

The "best" choice will depend on your own personal travel style. Do you want to see as much as possible? Do you prefer to relax?

Given that none of your family members has been to London before, there is no way that I would miss a day in this fabulous city given the opportunity of a day to explore. There is so much to see in London that has historical significance and it is very easy to get around using the tube (metro). It is one of my favorite cities to visit and you will be hard pressed to decide what to see with only a day to spend.

If you would prefer a more relaxing day prior to boarding your ship in Harwich, then I guess that a hotel there would be your best choice.

Edited by dogs4fun

Premier Inns are great really cheap (especially if you advance purchase) hotels in the UK. There is a brand new one at Holborn and one at Victoria near a large intersecting train station.

London walks (walks.com) do excellent guided walks around London to see various things that might interest you. Their Friday night Thames pub walk and london tour walk are great. They also have a Jack the Ripper tour if you are into that.

Most of the Premier Inns will take your luggage when you first arrive and hold it till your room is ready for free. Check with each hotel.

They also do a great full English breakfast and a pretty good, huge proportions, filling dinner.

Edited by paddingtonbear

Whether you fly into Heathrow or Gatwick, Victoria is the place to stay as the trains go directly there. Book the rooms early to get the best prices.

I do advise that you make a (very) short list of must-see's and plan your visit to the strength of the weakest member of the party.

If you come back with a proposed itinerary, I am sure that the knowledgable people here will be glad to offer opinions and helpful suggestions.

Whether you fly into Heathrow or Gatwick, Victoria is the place to stay as the trains go directly there.

Victoria is only really convenient for the Gatwick Express. If you're flying out of LHR and going to Harwich, somewhere north (Paddington or near Liverpool Street station) would be more convenient.