Question re booking Eurostar from Paris to London, and on to Southampton

Turtles06

56 US Dollars coverts to just under 46 Euro ie just under £4.....

Surely this is such a small difference to be worrying about - or am I missing something?

Not missing anything that I can see. Price seems good...so I booked as my understanding it will probably only go up.

Absolutely! It is a brilliant price even at the US Dollars rate and I totally agree can probably only go up.

Well done!

It's an astonishingly good price. Our rail fares in the U.S. are quite expensive. It amazes me that one can travel between London and Paris, two of the world's greatest cities, in so short a time and for such a relatively small amount.

Yes, I agree- but you do have to book early as my experience has been that the prices go up not down!

The cheapest standard Eurostar seat from London to Paris for a non senior one way is 34.50 GBP. The same seat one way is 154.50 GBP if you buy it at the last minute if there are none of the cheaper seats available.

Standard premier and First Class seats are more expensive.

Pretty big difference!

You have all convinced me to book the Paris/London part of my trip as soon as the Eurostar seats become available, and deal with the add-on from London to Southampton later (by phone).

Doing it this way, does it matter whether I select U.S., France, or U.K. from the drop down menu when I do the on-line purchase of the Eurostar ticket from Paris to London? (Will I still be able to add on London to Southampton by phone even if I've chosen U.S. in my initial booking? I would think I can, since it appears the only affect that drop down menu has is on web site language, type of currency, and which rail stations show up for on line booking options.)

Also, if I'm in the U.S. but I select U.K. or France from the drop down menu on the Eurostar site, and am just booking Paris/London, can I still print my tickets myself? (Again, I would think so, since those menus should only affect language and currency.)

Thanks again for the help!

I wouldn't think that would affect your purchase of the special Eurostar add-on tickets later as it is a separate transaction. You will have to give the Eurostar booking reference and train reference then as those fares are very very cheap and are not the normal off peak rates for normal rail travel over here.

I just wondered whether you been given this Eurostar telephone number if calling from outside the UK? : +44 1233 617575. I used the number from France where it counted as a local call. I don't know if it works from the US? I got it from : www.seat61.com/Belgium.htm#.VKK2Sf8h8[/url]

Edited by Scriv

You have all convinced me to book the Paris/London part of my trip as soon as the Eurostar seats become available, and deal with the add-on from London to Southampton later (by phone).

Doing it this way, does it matter whether I select U.S., France, or U.K. from the drop down menu when I do the on-line purchase of the Eurostar ticket from Paris to London? (Will I still be able to add on London to Southampton by phone even if I've chosen U.S. in my initial booking? I would think I can, since it appears the only affect that drop down menu has is on web site language, type of currency, and which rail stations show up for on line booking options.)

Also, if I'm in the U.S. but I select U.K. or France from the drop down menu on the Eurostar site, and am just booking Paris/London, can I still print my tickets myself? (Again, I would think so, since those menus should only affect language and currency.)

Thanks again for the help!

There is an area at the top right of the page to choose English. Choosing France or Uk from the drop down will not change the language and will give you a cheaper price. I was able to pay by credit card and print out the tickets. I live in Fl. USA.

There is an area at the top right of the page to choose English. Choosing France or Uk from the drop down will not change the language and will give you a cheaper price. I was able to pay by credit card and print out the tickets. I live in Fl. USA.

I used "UK" as well. It charged me in GBP but I put it on my 28 degree card and it's fee free. It was easy to print out the tickets on line. It is always cheaper to let your own bank or credit card do the money conversions. When you let the retailer do it you lose out. Even do this when paying by Credit card overseas. They will ask you if you want them to convert and you should always say: "No, please charge me in the local currency".

There is a special number and a special person to ring in the UK when you are organising your Eurorail add on UK rail trip. Ring this Eurorail UK number and ask for "Bob" (with your country code in front) +44 1233 617 575. He works M-F 9-5 UK time.

Or email me and I will give you his direct number. I am not trying to be precious but I am not sure if I am supposed to give his direct number out publically.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I used "UK" as well. It charged me in GBP but I put it on my 28 degree card and it's fee free. It was easy to print out the tickets on line. It is always cheaper to let your own bank or credit card do the money conversions. When you let the retailer do it you lose out. Even do this when paying by Credit card overseas. They will ask you if you want them to convert and you should always say: "No, please charge me in the local currency".

There is a special number and a special person to ring in the UK when you are organising your Eurorail add on UK rail trip. Ring this Eurorail UK number and ask for "Bob" (with your country code in front) +44 1233 617 575. He works M-F 9-5 UK time.

Or email me and I will give you his direct number. I am not trying to be precious but I am not sure if I am supposed to give his direct number out publically.

Thanks all. I totally agree that it's best to charge a purchase in the local currency, and I too have a credit card that does not charge me a conversion fee.

I appreciate the number for "Bob." Interestingly, Eurostar customer service emailed me a different number to call about the "add on" UK ticket:

I've sent you an email for Bob's number. Much appreciated!

Thanks, just the info I needed!

Yes, there is a direct telephone line to Bob in Domestic Travel, which, like paddington bear, I was also not sure about being allowed to put on here.

You obviously have it now - but just a word of warning, it is not a special rates number from abroad like the number we have given above.

Either way, you will reach Bob in Domestic Travel and he is a true gem.

Edited by Scriv

• 2 weeks later...

One of the people on my roll call found this fantastic resource:

If you buy directly through Eurostar, you can log into their site and select the seat you want (immediately after initial purchase). Make sure to review this site for hints on seat selection. Roughly half the seats face the rear of the train and many seats have a piece of the train's framework which blocks the window and therefore obscures your view of the French Countryside.

http://www.seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by-train.htm#.VLYHQ***-yx

In view of the complimentary comments, I took the liberty of sending a link to this thread to Eurostar Customer care. Within an hour, I had the following response:

Hello there,

Thank you for Email and also for the compliment regarding Bob, I particularly enjoy the comment referring to him as a "true gem" as we feel the same way about him here. I will make sure these comments and this Email gets passed along to both Bob and to his direct line manager, I'm sure he will love to receive them.

Kind Regards,

Joe, Eurostar Customer Care

Just in case you are wondering - I am not the same Bob:)

Edited by Bob++

• 3 months later...
Aw, that was a lovely thing to do, Bob++. Nice to hear that Eurostar value their Bob!!

We booked our London to Paris Eurostar tickets 6 months out (as soon as seats went on sale for our dates) online after studying the seat61.com site about where to sit. This got us the cheapest seats and the best selection.

Then three months out (on the date seats went on sale) I rang Bob and booked our Edinburgh to London train trip through him. This ensures that if our train is late, even though we bought the cheap seats, we can get on the next train at no extra cost.

Bob was fantastic. He couldn't choose seats on the Edinburgh to London train but miraculously we got great seats on the best side of the train for that trip!

Great experience thanks to everyone's advice on this board.

We are really looking forward to our trip.

That's great news, paddingtonbear and another feather in Bob's cap. I dread to think what will happen when he eventually retires!

He must have a few years left in him he sounded young and he must really love his job because he shows genuine concern for his passengers. Maybe he will train (!!![emoji39]) his successors so the service will be perpetuated! [emoji41]

Edited by paddingtonbear

Did you actually speak to Bob, paddingtonbear or someone in Bob's office? I ask as the 'Bob' I speak to does not sound young and told me that now that he was getting older he enjoyed being in the warm inside the office whilst a former younger colleague wanted to be out on the station and the platforms.

Whatever his age, he definitely seems to enjoy his job and perhaps he has trained a team up in the same ilk and they are all called 'Bob' to preserve the legend lol.

Edited by Scriv

Did you actually speak to Bob, paddingtonbear or someone in Bob's office? I ask as the 'Bob' I speak to does not sound young and told me that now that he was getting older he enjoyed being in the warm inside the office whilst a former younger colleague wanted to be out on the station and the platforms.

Whatever his age, he definitely seems to enjoy his job and perhaps he has trained a team up in the same ilk and they are all called 'Bob' to preserve the legend lol.

I spoke to Bob. What's young and what's young at heart? [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

He's definitely not a crotchety old guy I'd associate with waiting for retirement. You know the type: "In my day..." In a quavery voice. [emoji2]

Edited by paddingtonbear

Quite - Bob is not a young man but must be young at heart :). But you don't have to be crotchedy old guy even if you are approaching retirement lol.

I have spoken to the same Bob many times over many years and I know from what he has said that he is not a youngster. He has also been known as 'BR Bob' as I think his background was the good old days of British Rail when the sort of info he gives out with such attention to detail and helping the customer was how they worked. He was known as 'a legend' several years ago!

However old he is, I hope he continues for ever at Eurostar or at least develop clones - all called Bob.

Edited by Scriv