Renting a car question

sheeshshe

Yes you have to put gas in it. American dollars are fine.

Just make sure the attendant resets the pump when he starts pumping. Announce the denomination of the bill you are giving him. They like to pull fast ones on tourists.

thanks! sounds stressful.. I just found out about the collectivos, and I am seriously considering taking those instead, sounds far less stressful, less worry.

Wher are you trying to get to? The collectives on Cozumel do not really service the tourist areas and are mainly for locals traveling around town.

The gas stations usually have the exchange rate posted by the pumps. The last time we were there it was 12 pesos to 1 dollar. So $10 gives you 120 pesos. The rental cars rarely have a full tank, so when you check the car make sure that you and the agent agree on how gas is in the car and that is how much it must have upon return. Also make sure any dents are listed and get the full insurance, don't rely on Amex or your home insurance.

• 1 month later...
I am well aware that I would have to rent it in playa del carmen.

Last time we went to Playa (cruise to Cozumel, take public ferry to Playa) it took almost an hour to get the car. The cars weren't parked at the rental agency office, so once they had everyone there they drove us out to the highway to an office where we spent a long time waiting in line and filling out papers. Then it's an hour to Tulum - longer to Coba. Then the drive back, and you have to fill out more paperwork to turn the car in then get driven back to the pier. We almost missed our ferry because of the slow agent in the rent a car office.

Make sure your car would be near the pier, that pre paying is an option, find out how long to check in and out. You have to be careful checking back in to make sure they sign no damage papers.

This year we're only in Cozumel for 8 hours - so we won't be renting any cars. Between the inconvenient ferry times back to Cozumel and our experience with long waits and lots and lots of traffic coming into Playa in the afternoon - we're not going to chance it.