Unfortunate incident on the QOTS

FIRELT5

OT......whats the thing by the door that looks like a business card holder? Is that a place to put your ship and sail card? Never seen that before on any ship?

Jimbo:)

Ah, you have spotted another Quantum leap into the future of cruising. It's the latest in environmental techno-solutions brought to you by Quantum, changing everrything and saving the waves for the future. Allow me to explain...

You see, to help save electricity, you put your seapass card -- or any card-like object -- in the slot to activate the rooms lighting, television, and outlets. Impressive, right?

OK, OK... You might have noticed that I included outlets (as did Royal). Yes, to charge the gadgetry that us Quantum-ites are expected to bring, you have to leave a card and the slot all the time. I know what you're thinking, but bear with the innovation -- with any new technology there are growing pains. [emoji41]

Ah, you have spotted another Quantum leap into the future of cruising. It's the latest in environmental techno-solutions brought to you by Quantum, changing everrything and saving the waves for the future. Allow me to explain...

You see, to help save electricity, you put your seapass card -- or any card-like object -- in the slot to activate the rooms lighting, television, and outlets. Impressive, right?

OK, OK... You might have noticed that I included outlets (as did Royal). Yes, to charge the gadgetry that us Quantum-ites are expected to bring, you have to leave a card and the slot all the time. I know what you're thinking, but bear with the innovation -- with any new technology there are growing pains. [emoji41]

Not so new or innovative. MSC has been doing this for years. European and Asian hotels have done this for DECADES.

Was on there 19 days, never once used that dead bolt. Honestly can't remember it existing. I know I've used ones on other ships since I'm always the last in at night, but for some reason can't remember even realizing it was there.

You have to wonder what would make someone who has had multiple contracts suddenly do this. I'm even pretty sure I talked to him on our cruise. During the inaugural the mini bar wasn't stocked properly and he came into our room twice (that I'm aware of) in the afternoon while I was in there to stock it. Both times he knocked and I answered the door, he then asked permission and put a door stop in while in the room. Guessing that's normal procedure anytime a crew member enters a room since you always see the door wedged open when the room is being cleaned as well. Didn't notice anything off or unusual. Looking at his photos though I am almost positive it was him that restocked the fridge.

I think it is a pretty smart policy to not allow employees to be in a cabin with a passenger with the door closed.

Including the outlets? The only word I can think of for including the outlets is stupid.

The outlets? Meaning that when you leave your room and take the card out of the slot, the electric clock goes off? The phone you've plugged in to recharge stops recharging? :eek:

If that's what they did on the Quantum, then NO - I have never seen that before. And I totally agree - very stupid.

According to stories posted elsewhere on the internet, that crew member is no longer employed by Royal Caribbean.....
Well I would sure hope so.

Just an FYI, the NCL Breakaway has this "leap" as well which was built by the same shipyard.

Just an FYI, the NCL Breakaway has this "leap" as well which was built by the same shipyard.

We had a bit of a power struggle (pun unfortunately intended) with our cabin steward on Breakaway, who had no issue with us keeping a separate card in the slot at all times but towards the end of the cruise started pulling it out slightly so the power was off in the room. Part of me was wondering if he got in trouble earlier in the week with a supervisor for letting everyone keep the power on when out of the room.

I've experienced this system on multiple ships and so long as the outlets are unaffected its a perfectly reasonable system. I'm shocked to hear that they're cutting power to the outlets on Quantum... That makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

I've experienced this system on multiple ships and so long as the outlets are unaffected its a perfectly reasonable system. I'm shocked to hear that they're cutting power to the outlets on Quantum... That makes no sense.

But the USB ports by the desk stay powered - for most folks that's enough.:cool:

I guess that I am not most folks then.:rolleyes:

While helpful for recharging some items, I agree that it isn't enough and wish they kept the outlets live.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app