Unfortunate incident on the QOTS

FIRELT5

This is very frightening to me as I will have my child next door (connected rooms) on our cruise. I'm trying to remember, but isn't there a way to completely lock the door when you are inside the cabin? Can anyone with a key open it?

Koohiichan

We travel with our grandchildren in a connecting cabin. We have always told the cabin steward that we are PERMANENTLY dead bolting their cabin door for the duration of the cruise. If he/she needs to access their cabin, they can do it through our cabin. The kids know they are not to use that door for anything and they abide by that.

This will keep unwanted visitors out of their cabin, unless it is an emergency and it's a high level officer with a key to the dead bolt.

Same thing for the best made safes.

But as noted, if the dead bolt is on, I do not believe it can be opened routinely by a steward.

That's correct.

Anytime cabin steward/mini bar attendant came to our room we have the dead bolt lock on & they had to wait for us to let them in.

We travel with our grandchildren in a connecting cabin. We have always told the cabin steward that we are PERMANENTLY dead bolting their cabin door for the duration of the cruise. If he/she needs to access their cabin, they can do it through our cabin. The kids know they are not to use that door for anything and they abide by that.

This will keep unwanted visitors out of their cabin, unless it is an emergency and it's a high level officer with a key to the dead bolt.

Thanks to everyone for their safety ideas and reassurances. I know that it is a very slight chance, but still it is scary when a child is involved. I like the idea about using 1 door. I'd rather not overly scare her with alarms/things in front.

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Just saw on Cruise News that a Mini Bar attendant was arrested on Quantum after he allegedly "groped" a sleeping passenger when he entered the room to check the mini bar. I have long been very uneasy with these people having access to my cabin when I am away as I have no relationship with them as I do my Room Steward. Too frequently they barge in almost without knocking, or without waiting for a person to get to the door and answer it, or continue into the room even when they can hear the shower going and thus know that the room is occupied, or - and it happens all too frequently - they charge you for items that you have not used - probably when they have missed something on their rounds and decide to charge it to any cabin so that it will not be charged against them, hoping that by the time the pax notices the charge - probably on the last day when the bill arrives -there is little they can do about it.

Anybody else feel uncomfortable about these people unknown to you entering your cabin?

I hear you all but isn't the bottom line question: whether or not we wish anyone, other than our known Cabin Attendant , entering our cabin at any time without our permission- whether we are in it or not. Personally I do not

Also here is a listing on E-bay for magnetic door alarms with a remote to active and deactivate them.

Use one for your door, balcony door, and next door if your kids are in them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Smart-Magnetic-Sensor-Alarm-Door-Bell-Remote-Control-for-Hotel-/281530893013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418c8c82d5

mF5_KxZFoMOJ9ZLat680I2w.jpg

No I do not sell them.

Edited by PaperBoat

I can't remember, don't the doors have an 'active' latch (like a chain or bar) that you can swing into place to physically prevent the door from opening?

Like this: 20121217_lock_feature.jpg

No, I've never seen one of those in a cruise ship cabin.

They are in just about every hotel room thought (or a chain or other equivalent product).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

In my life the act is called a crime.....not an "unfortunate event". And if found guilty hung from the yard arm.

........Happy New Year Big G.....".:)

Amen to that.

Also, if the allegations are true, it is not the passenger's fault, even if the dead bolt was not set.

Fighting one crime with another isn't really the way to go IMO

Wrong.

In most states in is completely legal to use deadly force to defend yourself against a sexual assault.

What would you suggest we do in this situation, ask him nicely to stop and then wait to see what he does?

I don't remember ever seeing on on any cruise ship, although I haven't looked. I will check it out on the Freedom 1/30.

Brett

I don't think I've been on a ship that didn't have a deadbolt. It's located under the handle. I tried to find a picture without success.

I was on board the Quantum Dec 1 and we didn't have a dead bolt on our cabin door. My husband and I both thought it was a bit weird that we didn't have one.

Are you sure? Just to be 100% clear, we're talking about that second lock near the door handle, not that latch/chain thing higher up on the door (picture recently posted) that's common on hotel room doors. I simply cannot imagine that they didn't include a second deadbolt lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

According to stories posted elsewhere on the internet, that crew member is no longer employed by Royal Caribbean.....

At the time of the alleged offence, crew member Karan Seechurn was employed by Royal Caribbean. What I'm not clear on is to whether or not he pleaded guilty. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/12/cruise_ship_worker_accused_of_sexually_abusing_sleeping_woman.html