Port Charlotte to Miami

txd

I have a question for someone familiar with Port Charlotte and Ft. Myers.

Planning to drive a rental car the first time in Florida.

We'll be flying into Ft. Lauderdale a few days before our cruise out of Miami. Want to spend a few days visiting our friends in Port Charlotte.

I was wondering if there are a lot of toll roads. If so, can we pay as we go or do we have to get the toll coverage when we rent the car?

What is the best and quickest route from Port Charlotte to Miami Port (SE 2nd Street)where we return the car and shuttle to the port?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Quickest route would probably be coming back via I75 and follow it south instead of connecting to the 595 back to Ft Lauderdale. When I-75 ends at Rte 826, Palemetto Expressway take that south and connect tot eh 835, Dolphin Expressway East. That will become the 395around the I-95 interchange and you take the 395 to the NE 2nd.

The 836 should be the only toll. Cash collection ended last year or the year before. They bill by license plate now. So the toll tag should be on your rental vehicle. Double check with your rental company. And be aware that some rental companies to charge a separate fee for the auto toll.

Quickest route would probably be coming back via I75 and follow it south instead of connecting to the 595 back to Ft Lauderdale. When I-75 ends at Rte 826, Palemetto Expressway take that south and connect tot eh 835, Dolphin Expressway East. That will become the 395around the I-95 interchange and you take the 395 to the NE 2nd.

The 836 should be the only toll. Cash collection ended last year or the year before. They bill by license plate now. So the toll tag should be on your rental vehicle. Double check with your rental company. And be aware that some rental companies to charge a separate fee for the auto toll.

There is another toll besides the 836 E (Dolphin). When leaving Naples, there is a toll on I-75 S, at mile marker 100, at the start of Alligator Alley.

Cruise passengers no longer need to exit I-395 E at NE 2 Avenue to get to the port, as I-395 E now connects to the new tunnel.

Edited by brunello22

Probably too late but why not fly into Ft Myers & drive to Miami then fly out of MIA home ??

saves some time driving back n forth

They may even have a bus that goes to Miami then not need of a rental car

Probably too late but why not fly into Ft Myers & drive to Miami then fly out of MIA home ??

saves some time driving back n forth

They may even have a bus that goes to Miami then not need of a rental car

I was looking at this too. Unfortunately, flight from SF to Ft Myers takes up to 10 hours with 1-2 stops. Flight SF - FT Lauderdale non-stop only 5 hours.

I was looking at this too. Unfortunately, flight from SF to Ft Myers takes up to 10 hours with 1-2 stops. Flight SF - FT Lauderdale non-stop only 5 hours.

Well that does make a difference then