Just disembarked Navigator

PaulaJK

We are Regent fans but avoid Navigator if possible for reasons that have been endlessly discussed here. Voyager and Mariner are a lot more "user friendly" for us and the new Explorer should be an exciting addition to the fleet. We're booked on her maiden voyage next year and can't wait!

Agree with you 100 regarding Voyager and Mariner. On the other hand, I am hoping that someone that has sailed the Navigator more recently would start a new thread as the reports I have received from the Navigator (currently onboard) have been very positive.

As FDR has stated, the Explorer is going to be the most luxurious ship at sea (current honors apparently goes to the Riviera/Marina which I agree with wholeheartedly). It will be a once in a lifetime experience. :)

Edited by Travelcat2

As you know, TC2, there is a very recent thread recounting our Navigator experience (Jan. 27 - Feb. 6) wherein we concluded we would not sail again on that vessel.

Not sure if you know that the ships change crew frequently (some at almost every port). It is possible that the General Manager, Food and Beverage Director, etc. on the Navigator now were not there a month ago. There can be differences, depending upon management/crew onboard. This is an unfortunate reality. We took a back to back cruise that was like night and day. The first itinerary was okay but the second was excellent -- due to management change.

The reason I brought the subject of a more recent Navigator review is because someone currently on the Navigator posted on our Roll call that "We are still on the Caribbean cruise on the Navigator. It's just lovely. The food is great. Service impeccable". I am urging her to write a short review since that is so much more valid than my saying that someone I know is on the ship and is having a great time, etc. (which I have pretty much already stated).

Everyone has different expectations - some based on prior cruising experiences and others based on luxury (or non luxury) experiences they have had. There is no wrong or right. You and another poster would not sail the Navigator again. We prefer the other ships to the Navigator but would never say "never again". Many people absolutely love the Navigator.

IMO, the more specifics we can give about our onboard experiences the better (whether positive or negative). I will be doing an in depth review on food (and maybe wine -- don't think I am qualified to give anything other than an opinion of what tastes good to me and what doesn't) on our upcoming Mariner cruise. I have no doubt that I will post a picture of a menu item that I enjoy (or dislike) and someone will have a different opinion. That is the beauty of Cruise Critic.

Edited by Travelcat2

Reading all of the Navigator bashing has hurt my heart... and my wallet... LOL

We have booked our VERY FIRST Regent cruise on a Navigator trans-Atlantic.

Oy and oy and oy.

We ARE in a Master Suite... but OY!

:D:D:D,

Scott

Well said:D

I feel your pain, CwazeAndCwaze, because I ran into the same issue in the run up to our recent Navigator cruise when TravelCat2 was at pains to say she would not again sail that vessel barring extraordinary circumstances. It was (mostly) our first cruise so it still had its merits overall. From our experience, the fact that you are in a master suite bodes well. For us that made all the difference, as Emily Dickinson opined.

Our advice: eschew Prime7 or try it if you must. La Veranda for dinner is hit and miss. On no account skip the ice cream bar on the pool deck. By voyage end we were skipping lunch in favor of ice cream cones (double scoops).

Yes, the wallet thing. Well, as folk inaccurately say about food, that's subjective. I was not sorry to have expended mega bucks in our first outing but I think we can do better.

I think you have a good time ahead of you and I hope it exceeds expectations. Would love to read of your impressions upon return here on CC.

Edited by OctoberKat

• 2 weeks later...
Reading all of the Navigator bashing has hurt my heart... and my wallet... LOL

We have booked our VERY FIRST Regent cruise on a Navigator trans-Atlantic.

Oy and oy and oy.

We ARE in a Master Suite... but OY!

:D:D:D,

Scott

I suggest that you try Prime 7 on the Navigator. After all, it is the only reservation dining venue on the ship. Just be specific with what you want and return anything that does not come up the way you want it to be.

In terms of La Veranda, it is just a buffet restaurant in the morning and at lunch (we prefer dining in Compass Rose where we can be served). In the evening it becomes Sette Mari which, in our opinion, is quite nice (just too much food:-). There is an antipasti bar which is enough to be a meal itself and a dessert buffet. The rest of the meal is served.

A hint about lunch in Compass Rose. My DH loves his salads and wants them prepared his own way. He goes up to La Veranda to prepare his salad while I'm seated in CR. He then carries his salad down to CR and dines with me. It works well for both of us.

P.S. Reading your posts on the other board -- most interesting. Need to watch another video -- they are so entertaining!