Just disembarked Navigator

PaulaJK

I am disheartened to read about the negative comments about the Navigator on which we will be departing shortly. I understand the complications of being on a family cruise over the holidays. But please folks, give me some reasons to look forward to this cruise for which I am thankful to be going on and for which I paid dearly.

Don't worry, Navigator is a lovely little ship! The standard cabins are very spacious, the service usually wonderful. There are a few downsides, but they are slight--La Veranda (the casual dining venue) gets overwhelmed sometimes, especially at lunch after excursions. But if the weather's nice, there's plenty of room usually outside on the pool deck. Yes, there's a bit of a vibration in the rear, but that's improved apparently, and not a big deal most of the time.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

I am disheartened to read about the negative comments about the Navigator on which we will be departing shortly. I understand the complications of being on a family cruise over the holidays. But please folks, give me some reasons to look forward to this cruise for which I am thankful to be going on and for which I paid dearly.

Hi to you Aylgo,

Our first Navigator cruise was in 2009 in the med., and we had our second cruise on her Oct/Nov with a 15 day Montreal to Miami cruise and it was wonderful. we felt at home right away and so comfortable. Yes there are the vibration issues and yes its a small ship but I feel the smaller amount of passengers adds to the friendliness of it and we had familiar faces in the staff from the 3 Regent ships who remembered us. This last cruise was by far the friendliest and best cruise we have had, so i would say to you and to OctoberKat have a wonderful time and relax and enjoy. Enjoy the 3 dining venues, we could not fault the food or service in all areas and remember if there is something special you want or need just ask, as they are there to look after you. have a wonderful cruise.

ChatKat - You are so correct! +10. When many posters are reporting "less than satisfactory" or "less than luxury" experiences, they are sometimes told something like -

"It's not always that way", or "just wait until the next cruise and you should find it to be better", or "we went on one cruise that was less than satisfactory but two cruise later it had corrected itself", or "a private word with the GM over dinner and it should be taken care of", or "Regent isn't responsible for that because it didn't happen on the ship, itself".........and the dismissals go on and on. The excuses are not grounded in reality or the way most people think about significant expenditures, or most peoples' normal expectations.

If my cruise "sucked"...., I really don't care if it "got better" for the next person on the next cruise! I don't care if the negative things that happened to me, and which I clearly described and complained about on "my cruise", just happened to be a "one-time aberration" and are dismissed out of hand with a sentiment like, "just spend another $20K+ because the "next cruise might be better", etc. Most people are not naturally inclined to spend another mini-fortune in hopes that the "next cruise", with the same company, "might be better" in the future.

The posters reporting these negative experiences are not lying and their perceptions and experiences where real. They feel disappointed and let down, they also feel that they wasted the hard earned and long-saved for (in most cases) $20,000+ that that cruise cost them (and which they won't get back). Most of us don't have the unlimited resources or time to waste/gamble on taking a "crap shoot" and hoping that the "next cruise" (with the same company) will be "better".

Not too many of us are probably willing (or can afford) to give Regent countless chances to "get it right" - particularly if there are other choices available. Regent is constantly drumming into our heads that we will always receive a "luxury experience" from start to finish - not just sometimes or on "most cruises" - and that elegant experience is advertised/understood to include the flight arrangements, the included pre-cruise hotel accommodations, the "included" and advertised excursions, all the meals in all the venues, the interaction with all staff (including reception and destination services), the total onboard experience (to include lectures, and pool side atmosphere), the "luxury" accommodations onboard (presumably meaning a stateroom without brown water, without the smell of sewage, and one where the temperature can be individually controlled), and a seamless return home. All of these things are highlighted in Regent's printed and online advertising.

If one books a 3-day Carnival "cruise to nowhere" and spends $500 for (what turns out to be) a less-than-stellar experience, that's one thing and is rather easily chalked up to a "lessons learned" trip. But most of us do not expect or accept the same kind of frustrations, disappointments, or shortcomings on a cruise which costs 20-TIMES the amount (of the Carnival cruise), and bills itself as a "luxurious, elegant, flawless, and six-star" experience.

That's the whole point that many posters (who have far more experience than I do with cruising in general, and with Regent in particular) have been expressing - and seemingly in increasing numbers (both in these discussion threads and in the formal reviews). It is not just one or two people. People seem to be increasingly questioning whether Regent is still "worth the money". I have not yet made that determination myself, but I'm certainly continuing to read all points of view.

For a cruise line which throws around so many superlative adjectives to describe itself, there should rarely ever be a need for a passenger to even have to report a "flaw", a "misstep", a "deficiency", or a "complaint" to a GM or to headquarters in Miami. If my stateroom is too hot for my comfort, I shouldn't have to mention it to anyone "higher up the food chain" than to my cabin steward; and certainly not more than once. Why should we even be having a discussion on how best to quickly, directly, and personally take "concerns" to the GM during a "luxury cruise experience"?

During the 4 (short) years that I've been a Regent customer the fares have all been rising at a pretty fast clip - certainly faster than the rate of inflation while at the same time, amenities which were once "standard" have disappeared. In my own very non-scientific analysis, it seems to me that the number of complaints among long-time (and even first time) Regent customers has also been rising, with many people (who actually post) are saying that they won't be coming back and will now be trying alternative choices. Does Regent take those complaints and remarks seriously or are they willing to simply "blow off" the customers who leave and hope to replace them with the "churn" or expectation of new customers to fill the void?

My fourth Regent cruise will be coming up in October. I don't know whether it will be my last one or not. I do not rely on Regent in any way to be my "life's entertainment". For me, money is a finite resource and it has to be balanced against the pleasure I derive from any given pursuit. I have not yet experienced the "negatives" that others have reported in their collective critiques, but I do not doubt or diminish for a moment that those reported "negatives" actually occurred to those posters, and I would never attempt to diminish or attempt to lamely "explain away" what happened to each of them.

I apologize for the excessive length of this post. Regards to all.

Well said pingpong. Our journey begins 25 Jan., the cruise itself sails 27 Jan. we are spending a fortune and my expectations are, indeed, high. Hoping for the best; this thread as well as others has aroused concern.

Edited by OctoberKat

pingpong1, You and I usually are similar thinkers and in this case once again we have a lot to agree on. I take exception, however, with the thought that a Holiday cruise should be like any other.

First of all most, if not all, reasonable travelers know that when school is not in session there are more children travelling. It goes without saying that some of these children will be cruising with older members of their family. Regent does not have a policy which says no children (not even age restricted). There are hotels and restaurants that most definitely do.

Secondly, from the description of the problems on this Navigator cruise, the problem appears to be the discipline, or lack thereof, applied to the children by the parents. To me this is the ultimate in rudeness. Regent never holds itself out to be a family oriented cruise line and anyone reading the brochures should know there are no special programs a la Disney.

It is appalling to me that any parent would let a child in any public swimming pool or hot tub in Pampers. Would they want to use that facility after their child has pooped-I Think Not:eek:

My first cruise was on Silver Wind through the Norwegian fjords. There were three families with children, one only had an infant. All three took good care of their children and made sure they did not disrupt the other passengers. The older children even followed the dress code for dinner. IMO that's the way it should be done. SS provided nothing and yet all had a good time.

Common sense says be prepared for disruption during Holidays. I wish it weren't true.

pingpong1, You and I usually are similar thinkers and in this case once again we have a lot to agree on. I take exception, however, with the thought that a Holiday cruise should be like any other.

First of all most, if not all, reasonable travelers know that when school is not in session there are more children travelling. It goes without saying that some of these children will be cruising with older members of their family. Regent does not have a policy which says no children (not even age restricted). There are hotels and restaurants that most definitely do.

Secondly, from the description of the problems on this Navigator cruise, the problem appears to be the discipline, or lack thereof, applied to the children by the parents. To me this is the ultimate in rudeness. Regent never holds itself out to be a family oriented cruise line and anyone reading the brochures should know there are no special programs a la Disney.

It is appalling to me that any parent would let a child in any public swimming pool or hot tub in Pampers. Would they want to use that facility after their child has pooped-I Think Not:eek:

My first cruise was on Silver Wind through the Norwegian fjords. There were three families with children, one only had an infant. All three took good care of their children and made sure they did not disrupt the other passengers. The older children even followed the dress code for dinner. IMO that's the way it should be done. SS provided nothing and yet all had a good time.

Common sense says be prepared for disruption during Holidays. I wish it weren't true.

While you and I sometimes disagree, I agree with everything you and pingpong said. However there is a but and it is something you didn't say.

While it is a shame when parents don't "control" their own children, the cruiseline and staff does have rules and if the passengers, including children don't follow the rules, it is incumbent on the cruiseline and staff to enforce the rules. It was said in the critiques of the holiday cruises that Regent staff did not enforce the rules to stop the violations of common sense and rules until many people complained to the higher ups and even after the problems ceased for a few days they started recurring and again no staff enforced the rules.

We have heard the same issue regarding people who put a book or something else on a lounger to save it and then don't come back for many hours and the other customers have to go elsewhere or remove the book and risk being yelled at by their fellow customers rather than the staff watching for this to occur and remove the book so another customer can use the lounger.

Well said pingpong. Our journey begins 25 Jan., the cruise itself sails 27 Jan. we are spending a fortune and my expectations are, indeed, high. Hoping for the best; this thread as well as others has aroused concern.

I am with you Octoberkat...we have been on many cruises, but this is a 1st on Regent Apr 2016 Rome to Venice. We are here for itinerary only and if another line comes up with the same itinerary....I may not risk it with all of the negatives I have been reading and bail. I surely hope for you and your DH 1st cruise you are not disappointed and will continue sailing because it is wonderful. Looking forward to your review.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise. Navigator is sparky clean and well maintained. The crew is terrific. The cuisine was more diversified and better than I recall. Service is good. The suites Are very, very nice.

I think that in my initial report I clearly indicated that I was familiar w some of the issues of a holiday cruise. Unfortunately, TC unless you are sending me the fare, I need to indicate that it was expensive..and probably included a surcharge for holidays. Most of us cannot or do not wish to blithely kiss off the time and money of a one off cruise.

Unfortunately, we spent Jan 1st sailing between SXM and St Barth's (think abut thAt) but without any special event for New Year's Day. Check Keith's report and photos of that day on Crystal. Also the 'special event' for gold and above was an un stimulating sail away party on 10aft..which one officer Attended. That special old world German style pool buffet never happened. The infant/pool pamper brigade issues were intensified by two extra days at sea due to missed tender ports. St Barths was substituted by St Kitts so for us that was another sea day.

Chair hugs aplenty.....one lady reserved the 4 seats next to ours at 9am and had not revisited by the time we left at 4pm.. I recognize that we and other pax are reluctant to take deserved action here.

I strongly feel that Regent needs to up its product to its tariffs...and on a consistent basis. Paula

We sailed a Christmas cruise on Mariner several years ago (pre Prestige). There were in the neighborhood of 50 children on this cruise, and while they were visible they were not intrusive due to the efforts of both the parents and crew.

A few years ago while on the Navigator, our favorite ship, the diaper kids and the baby dunkers were at it despite many complaints. The word given was "this was an officers family" and nothing could be done. Brilliantly, someone sent word to the top that it was to stop immediately or an E-mail with photo attachments was going to be sent to the CDC in real time with a request that the situation be dealt with. Despite some really sour faces, the rest of that cruise was diaper free in the pool. Would it not be better for the cruiseline to pick an age, say 5, and rule that no one under 5 may use the pool? That would pretty much solve the problem by default and could be more easily enforced since everybody's age is on record.

A few years ago while on the Navigator, our favorite ship, the diaper kids and the baby dunkers were at it despite many complaints. The word given was "this was an officers family" and nothing could be done. Brilliantly, someone sent word to the top that it was to stop immediately or an E-mail with photo attachments was going to be sent to the CDC in real time with a request that the situation be dealt with. Despite some really sour faces, the rest of that cruise was diaper free in the pool. Would it not be better for the cruiseline to pick an age, say 5, and rule that no one under 5 may use the pool? That would pretty much solve the problem by default and could be more easily enforced since everybody's age is on record.

And be careful of what "solutions" are offered to the baby in the pool issue. As an example, I had read on Silversea that there was a baby on board for a lengthy time and they had set up a plastic blow up pool smack in the middle of the pool deck for the baby to use. Needless to say the other passengers were not happy with that!

Hi PaulaJK,

I have been following your posts since last summer with much interest. You sailed on the Sojourn shortly after I and we shared the same disappointment in the closing of the MDR at lunch. You began a thread comparing Seabourn to Crystal as you were doing BTB on the different lines. I was disappointed that your thread went totally off topic and you stopped posting on the subject. I will be cruising Crystal next summer for the first time after several SB cruises and a few SS cruises.

This time around, I have been following this thread as I will be boarding the Navigator for our very first R cruise very shortly and it is always interesting to hear reports from those who have been on both lines.

I realize that the real winners in the "this line" vs "that line" are us, the passengers, because we have the fortune to choose between different luxury cruise lines for our vacations. It is just very helpful to find out from others how to deal with certain situations that can happen on all of the luxury lines that can potentially spoil a vacation.

Thank you for your posts and maybe one of these days we will cross paths on board and have lunch together in the MDR.

I was on the silversea cruise with the blow up pool for the baby. Do not want that solution on regent! Yes, there should be a minimum age for children to be allowed in the pool and hot tubs. That still wouldn't solve the chair hog problem or the kids gone wild running all over problem, but at least it would be a start.

... Yes, there should be a minimum age for children to be allowed in the pool and hot tubs. That still wouldn't solve the chair hog problem or the kids gone wild running all over problem, but at least it would be a start.

I think there is a minimum age for the hot tub for sure, and probably for the pool. It's a matter of enforcement! I've seen children take over a hot tub, and it's not pretty, and admittedly a very uncomfortable problem for the staff to deal with tactfully.

Let me comment that we have been doing New Year's sailings for many of the past 30+ years.....first with our young children on lines such as Sitmar ,RCCL and then on to Celebrity. I expect there to be families and I expect there to be children. Clearly I do not think that R or SB are good destinations for children as they lack facilities or programs...but I did expect there to be children.

This cruise beat them all. I asked 3 staff members how many were on board and received answers of 24, 34 and 54. Day 2 we were at sea and then again on day 3 [missed Turks,Caicos] .It is amazing that no children were hurt as the older children dove and cannon balled into the pool. Several people must have complained because eventually safety officers arrived and spoke to them...which meant a short break in the action. The REALLY BIG problem was the number of infants and toddlers, in pampers. Their parents had them in the pool, along with their rubber rafts. They totally occupied the whirlpools, including a young boy with his yellow rubber ring! By day 9 everyone you came in contact with on pool deck was complaining about hygiene and behavior. Multiple people complained, by phone and in person. Something must have been said to the various families because some were not in the pool in pampers on days 10 & 11 [both sea days as we also missed Costa Rica]. A couple of the families were 'inventive' and changed their children from pampers into a bathing suit for the pool and then back into pampers. There was no evidence of the hotel director or senior staff observing this and a complete failure of Regent to enforce its own posted rules.

Every night in Compass Rose there were crying/screaming/shrieking infants...except our night in Prime 7 where they also were dining. Hambagable, if you love this, enjoy.

Pingpong..Crystal has artful presentation, a little more variety in fruits and pastries, a luscious waffle station w cream and strawberries and Asian breakfast.

Six stars? Luxury? Don't think so.

Paula you must be talking about the Lido breakfast on Crystal. The MDR has much more fare like delicious mini lamb chops to die for. Crystal and Oceania from what I have heard are well known for their food and presentation.

I think there is a minimum age for the hot tub for sure, and probably for the pool. It's a matter of enforcement! I've seen children take over a hot tub, and it's not pretty, and admittedly a very uncomfortable problem for the staff to deal with tactfully.

Why would it be uncomfortable for staff to deal with?

I would have no qualms at all about telling children to behave, get out of a jacuzzi and/or enquire as to where their supervising adults had got to. Why would anyone, particularly staff, be uncomfortable about that?

Half the problem is that folks are too intimidated or ambivalent about confronting unruly behaviour - hence, it can proliferate. Tell them, up front! Some children seem to think they can do what they like, when they like - adults who avoid confronting that attitude get what they deserve imo.

Wendy, I don't think that there is a minimum age for the pool [i may be incorrect] but there is a no pamper rule. Also no diving,etc. Obviously parents were present with or nearby these children. I spoke to a [junior, I suspect] safety officer who had been sent to the pool area. I asked him IF there was a rule/policy re: pampers. He said "yes". So I then asked him why they weren't enforcing it............no answer. I don't think that crew should have been put in the position to deal with this but do feel that it was so egregious that safety/security/management staff should have been dealing with it.

Please note that on day 10 there was a marked decrease in the # of pamper wearing babies in the pool. We predicated that some sort of otie had been given. HOWEVER, some parents simply removed their child's pamper, put them in a swimsuit, into the pool, out of the pool and back into a pamper...with a little naked running around in between.

2 whirlpools occupied exclusively by young children, including one in a yellow

donut ring should also have been dealt with.

Pies4u,

The staff on a cruise ship are working from contract to contract at the pleasure of the cruise line. It may be that pool staff worry that too many complaints from "parents" would advesely effect getting a renewed contract, and so they don't act. It may be that crew members have not been trained to deal with disruptive children since most passengers are mature adults. The cruise line needs to do more than develop rules for passengers; it needs to establish procedures for the crew to follow when observing infractions. Just thoughts. Angie

I totally agree with you ping pong.We were so looking forward to our cruise,it was expensive and I didn't expect anything less then relaxation and luxury.Before we went we had a fight to get direct flights and an overnight hotel stay the day before embarkation,all promised at a travel show by a Regent rep, when we booked.That should have set alarm bells.

We recently did a Navigator cruise to the Caribbean.Although we were very impressed with the staff and the cabins, we felt we did not get the expensive luxury cruise we paid for.we have paid less for a better experience in a grill suite on Princess and a suite on Cunard.

On the navigator,Along with the frozen food,lack of staff,cold food,lack of outdoor seats and shade,and so many people hogging pool chairs,etc etc,there was one thing that really upset us.

On Veterans Day also known as Remembrance Sunday to us British,there was a service for servicemen onboard,they announced a German lunch on the pool deck.We felt this was inappropriate.

When we returned home I filled in the online comments section,mentioning it.Someone in Regent contacted our travel agent about it to get more details,and to say they were very shocked to know this had happened.They asked us to email them. We did.We never personally received a reply let alone an apology.

My husband won't sail with them again.I may if the price is right and I can get a good deal.

Before we went we read a lot of negative posts about the company but put it down to people just liking to complain.

Pies4u,

The staff on a cruise ship are working from contract to contract at the pleasure of the cruise line. It may be that pool staff worry that too many complaints from "parents" would advesely effect getting a renewed contract, and so they don't act. It may be that crew members have not been trained to deal with disruptive children since most passengers are mature adults. The cruise line needs to do more than develop rules for passengers; it needs to establish procedures for the crew to follow when observing infractions. Just thoughts. Angie

The staff should be equally concerned about complains from other passengers that they are not enforcing the line's policies and stand by idly while the rules are disregarded.

wripro: I agree, that's why I think that it is the cruise line's responsibility to adequately train staff to handle all of these situations. Otherwise, it is d...ed if I do and d...ed if I don't. Angie

Edited by msmillie
Left off reason

Hi Jane (Cambridge) - It seems that there are a lot of the "little details" that are being missed. That's what's differentiating a truly "luxury" cruise experience from an "ordinary" one. If/when the stateroom stewards enter a stateroom to service it and smell "sewage", THEY themselves should be the ones to IMMEDIATELY notify maintenance and get it corrected BEFORE the passengers ever return to their room at the end of the day. And if it can't be immediately corrected, a note should be left in the room that the smell was noted by the staff and that appropriate maintenance personnel are working on the problem (and a chilled bottle of champagne left in the stateroom might not hurt, either!)

When/if the staff at the pool bar or grill notice the kids/babies getting out of hand in the pool/hot tub or the extended/unreasonable reserving of lounge chairs, THEY (the pool deck staff) should immediately be notifying a responsible officer/senior person to have it taken care of and stopped IMMEDIATELY, without/before any passenger needs to complain.

Someone in destination services should intuitively "See" at the moment it occurs that forcing/requiring passengers with mobility issues (or anyone else for that matter) to have to walk (or be pushed in a wheel chair) nearly a mile from the ship to an excursion bus is completely unreasonable. And Regent should be ensuring that this never happens. That is certainly not "luxury".

Servers/waiters in the restaurants should not even be bringing cold food (that was meant to be hot) to the diners' tables. The plates should never leave the kitchen. And servers should be observant for people who have finished their meal courses and are sitting in front of dirty plates (that need clearing).

And announcing/serving a "German lunch" on the pool deck on Veterans/Remembrance Day? Is anyone at all (in any position of authority whatsoever) looking at the "optics" of things like that?! At first, I thought this sounded like a Monty Python skit!

We (the passengers) should not be having to monitor the "standards" for Regent. Their own staff should be constantly on the watch for anything at all that is "out of place" and should be correcting it themselves, BEFORE it is ever even noticed by a passenger. That's the mark of a "luxury" cruise line.

Pingpong, spot on! All the so called luxury cruise lines should strive for that, but I don't think any consistently achieve it. I, for one, would accept 90%, but I don't think that's achieved either. The sewage stink is, for me, the one issue beyond the pale. Maybe the diapers also.