Sailing the Atlantic to Bermuda in May

woods79

This May 24th will be my first cruise to Bermuda as well as my first 2 consecutive days at sea - crossing the Atlantic from NYC to Bermuda.

I would love to hear feed back from anyone who may have completed this crossing, as I'm a bit nervous of sailing the open Atlantic for 2 days! I am a well travelled cruiser, in the Caribbean, and have never really had any seasickness in the past.

Any stories or tips for the sailing are appreciated!

Have done the cruise many times with the Atlantic being as smooth as glass sometimes and others being a bumpy ride. No way to accurately predict as to what it might be since it can change month to month, week to week and even day to day.

We've cruised to Bermuda 30-ish or so times over the years and always in May or Sept. There is NO way to predict the seas. We've gone and it was as smooth as glass, and we've gone and it's been a bumpy ride. We've sailed out of NY/NJ in the winter months many times as well, and the scenario has been the same. Obviously, it's colder in the winter (but sometimes it's been 70-ish the first full day) and again, sometimes it's smooth as glass and sometimes a bit stormy. The ambient air temperature and the condition of the seas have nothing to do with each other and the condition of the seas on any particular day of the month can be NOTHING like what they are a day or two prior or after.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say it could be a bit cool for swimming and snorkeling in May. Once the water get warmed up, you can swim up into November but May is a bit early for the warmer ocean water. I do know, though, that many tourists do swim in Bermuda in May. It all depends on what your are use to.

I remember one May or June cruise where the drawers and closet doors never stayed closed and couldn't sleep on my side because the boat was rocking so much. Wasn't even tempted to eat breakfast in the morning. They had sickness bags placed all over and they were very shorthanded because even a lot of the crew was sick. Good Times!!

It would never keep me from doing it again, and didn't detract from the awesome time and destination Bermuda is. Enjoy!

I've done the NJ - Bermuda trip at the end of May 4 years in a row. Last year we did hit some slightly rough seas, but nothing too bad. On the way down, I felt it the first or second night, late at night, presumably when the ship turned from the coast towards Bermuda. We hit a few hours of roughness on the sea day back, but it wasn't too bad.

As far as the water, I've been able to swim and snorkel every year, but last year was a little colder than in previous times. I remember it taking longer for the overall weather to warm up last year, so the sea temps were chillier. We still went in the water, had a beautiful sunny day first day, but had not so great weather on our second day in Bermuda..it was cold! Third day was lovely, not a cloud in the sky.

Bermuda is my favorite cruise destination, there are so many things to do, even if the weather is cranky.

We didn't sail to Bermuda in May but we did sail a day after Hurricane Arthur came up the coast on Breakaway this past July. There were some swells but we only felt a bit of motion. Nothing we couldn't handle. We don't get sea sick, but my sister in law does. She wore a patch behind her ear and seemed perfectly fine.

Have a great cruise!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This will be our 4th Cruise to Bermuda on the Memorial Day Holiday. We too are on the May 24th sailing. Most years smooth as glass but last year a little bumpy a couple days. Nothing major and easy to get through. Just go about your day and enjoy. You will love Bermuda and the Summit!

We have been to Bermuda in all kinds of weather. Our Doctor told us a secret that would prevent sea-sickness. Take a Dramamine two hours before getting on the Ship and you will never get seasick. We have done this every time and never seasick. Enjoy your cruise:D

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed our own sailboat to Bermuda in November a number of years ago & it was NOT pleasant- hit a gale storm in the Gulf Stream. The problem becomes if there is ANY wind from the north as the gulf stream runs to the north it will build up waves very quickly. It took 5 days to sail there from NY aboard our boat. Our boat did fine- but 4/6 of us were seasick really bad.

May is usually a good time to cross the Gulf stream. We sailed our own sailboat back form Puerto Rico to the Chesapeake a number of years ago & crossed in early June- a piece of cake!

So look to see which way the winds are blowing about a day or so before you leave. You can easily get the info on NOAA. If the winds are from the north anything more than 20 knots it will probably be a bumpy trip going through the stream.

Bermuda used to sell sturgeon- a great seasickness med & all of us sailors bought it all out when we arrived there.

Have done the cruise many times with the Atlantic being as smooth as glass sometimes and others being a bumpy ride. No way to accurately predict as to what it might be since it can change month to month, week to week and even day to day.

Exactly right.

I've had rougher seas/thunderstorms in late summer vs spring/early summer.