Port charges

riviera

Does anyone know why our port charges are $105.16 per person and my sister just booked the same cruise(same date) and her port charges are $76.58? We booked quite a few months ago, but what does that have to do with anything?

Port charges and taxes vary and change all the time. I've found that once on ship, if the charges are down versus what I paid, I get the amount refunded to my shipboard account automatically.

Good news is, if they go up, they don't charge anyone extra.

I've read of some who have taken time to call in and have these adjusted pre-cruise, but these stories often involve a lot of calls and time on the phone.

Thanks for the quick response. Perhaps I will take a chance and call...could use a little on board credit... :) Thanks again!

Based on past experience with RCL's reservations system, I'd be a bit leery about calling on this. Their system has a nasty habit of re-pricing the cruise the instant you make any changes. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks for the quick response. Perhaps I will take a chance and call...could use a little on board credit... :) Thanks again!

If you are before final payment, you will not receive on board credit just a reduction in what your final payment will be. The On board credit comes to you "On board" when the ship refunds the taxes fees.

Since it is the beginning of the new year, it is possible one or more of the ports established new rates effective Jan 1. Sometimes they even make adjustments monthly or quarterly, which would make it impossible to keep adjusting charges between booking and sailing. That is why credit for overcharges come onboard. As info, I know this because I used work in ocean-going transportation.

If the port taxes and fees have increased since booking and you change cabin category is it true that they can now charge the higher port taxes and fees?

I have a booking which was made using a Next Cruise cert and has been booked for approx a year and I had changed cabins previously without increase in taxes and fees but the last time when changing cabins the taxes were increased on my invoice. :confused:

If the port taxes and fees have increased since booking and you change cabin category is it true that they can now charge the higher port taxes and fees?

I have a booking which was made using a Next Cruise cert and has been booked for approx a year and I had changed cabins previously without increase in taxes and fees but the last time when changing cabins the taxes were increased on my invoice. :confused:

I've read that people have called about the tax increase and had it reverted back to what it was.

I've read that people have called about the tax increase and had it reverted back to what it was.

Thanks Bob.

My TA spent 45 minutes on the phone to RCCL including a supervisor who said that nothing can be done about it.

As it is not something that I have come across then I thought it best to ask here, just incase rules had changed, which we know RCCL are very good at doing these days :confused:

Thanks Bob.

My TA spent 45 minutes on the phone to RCCL including a supervisor who said that nothing can be done about it.

As it is not something that I have come across then I thought it best to ask here, just incase rules had changed, which we know RCCL are very good at doing these days :confused:

Sorry to hear that Liz. You may be correct in that the rules have changed. I've just not heard about this particular one changing, until now.

Edited by clarea

Sorry to hear that Liz. You may be correct in that the rules have changed. I've just not heard about this particular one changing, until now.

It actually happened in November but it was only last night when I was going through my files/invoices that I noticed the difference in the rates.

I should have checked the invoices when they came through but I didn't :o normally I double check everything but well life got in the way at the time.