Question for women who have dined at Grande

Trail46

I know about men, just curious about how "formal" women are getting. Would white slacks and a nice top be more casual than most? Would a black sparkly outfit be more dressy than most? Thanks to any of you who have dined there for your observations.

I know about men, just curious about how "formal" women are getting. Would white slacks and a nice top be more casual than most? Would a black sparkly outfit be more dressy than most? Thanks to any of you who have dined there for your observations.

My family was on the 1/3 sailing and I was a bit surprised that more people were not dressed up (as in 'formal') in the Grande. Most ladies wore what I would describe as smart casual and there were some dressier and yes, sparkly, dresses and tops here and there. I think whichever way you described - you will be fine. It seems the days of long gowns and cocktail dresses are a thing of the past for many cruisers.

Have a great cruise. Swiss

P.S. And yes, jackets are required of men although the loaned ones are taken back as soon as the gentlemen are seated....what's the point.

I think this is going to be cruise dependant...

As per the previous cruiser, a majority were smart casual on that cruise, and surely they won't turn you away with your descriptions of what you wish to wear. So you're good to go imo.

On my Dec1 sailing I ate at Grande 4 times and can say that at least 50%-75% was formal with women wearing beautiful gowns and clothing. We also had the highest number of D, D+, Pinnacles ever on any sailing of an RCL ship (don't know how the latter Q cruises have fared?) and I attribute the following of the dress code of the many seasoned cruisers who truly wished to be formal in the Grande rather than snub the requirement. As many of you know, I'm very open minded and not a traditionalist, but I have to say it was a really nice atmosphere and experience with everyone dressed up compared to unenforced formals on all the other ships the last few years (check that, my Spanish Immersion cruise on Vision the Latin women dresses to the nines, amazing formal nights, truly a formal movie-star quality night). I hope on your cruise more people dress up than not as it does add to that atmosphere in The Grande imo.

Definition directly copied from Royal Caribbean website. If "white slacks and a nice top" equal "pantsuit," then the answer is no, it won't be too casual. If not, then the answer is yes it will be. Having said that, they'll likely let you in. I suppose they could turn you away, but doesn't seem so. Use your best judgement.

"Onboard Dress Code

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

When we ate there in November, many were mostly dressed up, not many in casual wear, we were dressed in formal, tux & black cocktail dress. Your black sparky outfit would be fine.

We're going back to the Grande on the 1/23 sailing and DH will be wearing his tux and I am bringing a long evening gown as we'll be celebrating 25 wonderful years being married :):):):):):D.

Thanks...great to get a report right from the ship! Can you tell us about suits vs just jackets for men?

We were on the 1/3 sailing.

Any sports jacket will work! I was with my husband and two sons, ages 18 & 21. None brought jackets on the cruise. They were all given jackets, no problem, even though they looked like a sad British rock band! A woman can get away being casual to very dressy...almost anything goes as long as you wear a nice top.

we are sailing in march with three other couples and the dress situation is always questioned. I guess in my old age I just wear what I feel is appropriate. I prefer when it says formal to dress formal,since it makes me fell elegant. That,however,doesn't mean that all my friends need to run out and buy a long gown, but if they Have something sparkly wear it. I don't get an opportunity at home to dress like that,so even if people thing I am a little overboard I feel good. I've learned to not worry so much about what others think,as long as I am not hurting anyone. You only live once(I think)

enjoy!!!!!