celebrity summit cabin for 3 a royal suite vs 2 balcony

munch122

I am trying to decide on a royal suite with the all new suite class perks or two regular balconies with 123 go. We are in our 50's traveling with mom 89. Mom would get the bed in the royal and we would be on the sofa bed. We did this on the century roundtrip to hawaii but the sofa bed was terrible in the sky suite. Would the sofa be better in a royal suite? WE would get premium beverage, michaels club and a private hot tub on deck with the royal but we would get the sofa bed and with two balconies we get privacy and a better bed. I can not find an adjoining handicapped balcony with a plain balcony are there any adjoining handicpped cabins. The cruise is oct 18 2015 bayonne to st maarten and torola and san juan. Mom has limited mobility any info on excursions woud also be appreciated. In hawaii we rented a car and toured ourself. thanks sheri

Edited by munch122
typo

If an added egg crate would make the sofa sleeper tolerable the real issue would be privacy.

One bathroom?

Mom sleeping in the next room?

As to the benefits of a spacious veranda with hot tub and chaises, a dining area with butler service, a butler who can do more than serve your meals if the need arises, two sinks and a separate shower and tub, basically an apartment at sea versus two small rooms with small verandas.

????????????????

bosco

I want to say get the Celebrity Suite... 467 sq feet and located in the middle of the ship... Easier for your Mom and bigger to have breakfast or lunch in and if you don't mind having your mom with you then should not be an issue...

The Sky Suite is 251 Square feet but then you are getting two.

The issue is the Sleeper Sofa. I'm not sure I have ever been on a sleeper that I could honestly say was the best night of my life... For kids- sure you'll have to weigh Mom in the room and a larger nicer room versus two smaller rooms.

If I were in your shoes I would get the largest affordable suite and enjoy! Just know what your signing up for and then the sofa bed should not be an issue since your expectations have been grounded. I like the idea of enjoying your Mom!

~ Steve

In my opinion it all comes down to privacy and how close you need to be to Mom. It's a natural that a regular bed will be more comfortable than a sofa bed.

Personally, I'd go for the privacy but our Mom doesn't need us to be in the same cabin or have immediate access. On the other hand I've never sailed in a Royal Suite so, other than a quick tour, I don't know what I'd be missing.

Another consideration is that the Royal Suite only has one bathroom.

I want to say get the Celebrity Suite... 467 sq feet and located in the middle of the ship... Easier for your Mom and bigger to have breakfast or lunch in and if you don't mind having your mom with you then should not be an issue...

~ Steve

Sorry, this is a terrible idea. The bathroom in the CS is through the bedroom AND the shower in the bathroom is over the bath and it is a VERY high step into the bath. I doubt that an 89 year old could manage that.

If location mid-ships is important, two adjoining normal staterooms would be better than one CS.

IMHO, the single bathroom would be an issue for three adults in a RS but, it would be a better than the Sky Suite the OP had previously experienced.

Edited by Project_gal

Sorry, this is a terrible idea. The bathroom in the CS is through the bedroom AND the shower in the bathroom is over the bath and it is a VERY high step into the bath. I doubt that an 89 year old could manage that.

If location mid-ships is important, two adjoining normal staterooms would be better than one CS.

IMHO, the single bathroom would be an issue for three adults in a RS but, it would be a better than the Sky Suite the OP had previously experienced.

I forgot about that... Ditto the above and plus the bed situation... skip the sofa...

Steve

We'll be on Infinity in April in a royal suite with my 80 year old mom. We weighed the advantages and disadvantages of 2 veranda cabins versus the royal suite. The new perks tipped the scale for us. At the time we booked last March, 123go was not being offered, so the premium beverage package was an important perk for us.

We also like the idea of being able to order room service if Mom doesn't feel like going out and eating the meals at a proper table. Unlimited specialty dining will allow us to try all the dining venues and return to any we particularly enjoy without having to worry about additional costs.

I don't foresee having only one bathroom being an issue. None of us spend a lot of time in there. Also DH and I try to workout in the gym on sea days, so we can always use the shower facilities there.

For us, the only real concern I have is the sleeper sofa. But we'll ask for an egg crate and hope for the best.

We live in different states and only see each other a couple of times a year. I plan to enjoy every moment I spend with my mom.

This is a big splurge for us; something we're not likely to repeat. The cruise is our birthday gift to her. She's always wanted to see the Panama Canal and I wanted her to feel pampered while doing so.

Each family is different. Different priorities, different family dynamics. What works for us may not work for others.

This is also the case with the Royal Suite.

Nope, Larry, I've actually stayed in a Royal Suite on the Infinity (Summit would be the same) and the reason we moved from a Celebrity Suite to the RS was that you did NOT have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. The bedroom is off on its own. Closet is also accessible without going through bedroom. And there is another closet just off the living room. Also not having to climb over that high tub to get in the shower--the RS has a separate shower.

To the OP: I actually slept on the sofa bed on the Infinity and it was quite comfortable for one person. I did not need to get an egg crate. Two people might be something else entirely. Would it work to have you mother sleep on the sofa? If she wanted a nap during the day, she could nap in the bedroom and close the door. I agree that it is nice to have the table for dining in the cabin. And the butler will take marvelous care of you.

OK, guess I was wrong about the bathroom being through the bedroom. As I said, I've only been in the Royal suite a couple times on tours (Cabin Crawls) and I guess I've remembered wrong.

Edited by Lsimon

.......I can not find an adjoining handicapped balcony with a plain balcony are there any adjoining handicpped cabins.
Not adjoining, but there is a very nice, large accessible cabin with an enormous balcony on the stern of the ship on each of decks 7,8 and 9, plus an inside cabin for accompanying family members directly across the hall.

That is what I would try to get in your situation.

Then everyone could sleep in a comfortable bed, you would have privacy, a full second bathroom, and you all could enjoy the huge balcony.

If you want your Mom to have the stability of the extra support bars in the bathroom, a fold down shower seat, plus the security features of an additional telephone and emergency cord, she could take the accessible cabin if you are willing to take the inside cabin for yourselves just for sleeping and bathing.

Since your Mom has limited mobility, I would also suggest renting her a motorized wheelchair or scooter to use on the ship. That would give her a feeling of independence and make the entire cruise easier and more enjoyable for her.

I generally do not stay in suites, but we have several elderly relatives we've traveled with who have stayed in Sky Suites on M class ships. They were not big fans of the sofa bed, but that was quite some time ago. I do remember them not liking the big step into the shower because of the tub.

As to getting handicapped rooms - the best way to determine if there are any connecting to regular balconies is to look at the deck plans. Also keep in mind that Celebrity does require proof of need for these rooms (or at least that is what I understand). I don't know what constitutes 'mobility impaired', but your Mom may or may not qualify for that kind of room based on her abilities. I am not making any kind of judgment, just mentioning that proof would be required.

To the naysayers who could never do three adults to a room I say of course you could do it (you may prefer not to, but that is a different story). We often sail with our adult son in regular balcony or CC rooms. It is a bit tight, and occasionally there is a slight wait for the restroom but it is no big deal, if you have a close relationship and the lack of privacy does not bother you.

Having sailed in both the Century and the Mercury Royal suites the bath access is through the bedroom.

On the M class there is a hallway. Privacy is no problem.

Plus the walk in shower is also a plus for many seniors, as is the ability to get some sun or take a nap on one of the chaises without having to go poolside.

bosco

This is also the case with the Royal Suite.

No it isn't! On the M-class ships, the bedroom and bathroom are separated by a hall [at least that is what we would call it in the UK]. However it is described, you do not need to go through the bedroom to reach the bathroom in the RS.

Thank you for all your help! I have picked the royal suite for a cruise to Bermuda no air needed. I felt that mom deserved to travel in real style at least once. We have picked a may 10 date thinking the weather will be cooler she overheats easily. We will just have to celebrate her 90th birthday 6/19 early. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!

Thank you for all your help! I have picked the royal suite for a cruise to Bermuda no air needed. I felt that mom deserved to travel in real style at least once. We have picked a may 10 date thinking the weather will be cooler she overheats easily. We will just have to celebrate her 90th birthday 6/19 early. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!

You will have a great time!