New Ship for Charleston, SC?

playdeep

I've never been to the port of Charleston. Can they handle a larger ship? (larger than Fantasy class).

I am pretty sure they could - as I understand it there has been talk (South Carolina Ports Authority) of a new cruise terminal and fixing some infrastructure issues. The problem seems to be a couple groups are opposing it because they feel it will hurt the environment and affect the historical preservation efforts. It has been going on a couple of years now. I don't really see much changing in Charleston in the foreseeable future - it would be nice because it is the closest port to us and Charleston is a lovely place to visit before and after a cruise.

Most, or all of the lawsuits were dismissed, HOWEVER, they basically have to start all over again from square one. A new EIS will have to be performed before they can move forward with a new terminal. It will be years before you see any tangible evidence of progress, and a new slew of lawsuits is likely when it gets to that point. Charleston may get another ship if the Fantasy leaves the fleet before then, but I doubt if Carnival is looking to stir the pot by replacing Fantasy with anything larger than another Fantasy class ship.

Not that I'm looking to debunk my own rumor, but below is an article that states that the Fantasy-class ships are the only current ships in the fleet that could enter Havana harbor if Carnival gets permission to add Cuba to their list of destinations.

I guess I could settle for Havana if I had to take Fantasy again...

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141228/PC05/141229630

Edited by playdeep

Not that I'm looking to debunk my own rumor, but below is an article that states that the Fantasy-class ships are the only current ships in the fleet that could enter Havana harbor if Carnival gets permission to add Cuba to their list of destinations.

I guess I could settle for Havana if I had to take Fantasy again...

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141228/PC05/141229630

I would just about take a dingy if it would get me there legally - I followed a Canadian photographers photo blog when he spent 2 months in Cuba a couple years ago .... beautiful country.

I've never been to the port of Charleston. Can they handle a larger ship? (larger than Fantasy class).

The Carnival Victory had previously called in Charleston, as well as a Grand Class Princess ship.

Edited by Pixelate

Charlestons problem is not with the size of the ships. It's the size of some of the egos residing there.

They never had a problem when Celebrity or NCL had ships homeported there, or with the seasonal ports of call from Oceania, Silversea, Princess, and others. But as soon as the ship with the red, white and blue whale tail showed up, they changed their tune.

They never had a problem when Celebrity or NCL had ships homeported there, or with the seasonal ports of call from Oceania, Silversea, Princess, and others. But as soon as the ship with the red, white and blue whale tail showed up, they changed their tune.

I never knew Celebrity and NCL were home ported in Charleston, seems like they would know what they were doing by now instead of it being a cluster.

I never knew Celebrity and NCL were home ported in Charleston, seems like they would know what they were doing by now instead of it being a cluster.

Yes. Celebrity Galaxy and Norwegian Majesty both were home ported in Charleston. Galaxy used to do a 10/11 day rotation alternating between an Eastern/Southern Caribbean itinerary and a Western itinerary. Norwegian Majesty used to do a 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary calling on Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Key West. Much more creative than the mindless Nassau/Freeport 5 nighter over and over. Glad to see that at least Carnival will offer the Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon itinerary a handful of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Charleston is our second-up to Baltimore. Norfolk doesn't fit in with our schedules, and when New York does, it's cheaper to fly. Charleston is a 9 hour drive or a $170 Southwest plane ticket. Have considered them many times. I am very excited for the Amber Cove-Grand Turk-Half Moon Cay itinerary, but If I came home from work on a friday, slept from 5-1AM, and left my house at 2AM, I could be there between 11 and 12. Or I could break it into segments and get a hotel, the cheapest option. But I like the Fantasy calss, even though I've never sailed on one. They seem really relaxing and mellow. But if replacing the Fantasy with a larger ship means getting better drive-to itineraries, then I'm in.

Like for example, if they offered these as weeklong cruises, I would certainly drive.

Charleston, 4PM

Day At Sea

Grand Turk, 12PM-6PM

San Juan, 1PM-11PM

St.Thomas or St.Maarten, 8AM-6PM

Day at Sea

Day At Sea

Charleston, 7AM

or

Charleston, 4PM

Day at Sea

Key West Florida, 7AM-2PM

Cozumel Mexico, 1PM-10PM

Costa Maya Mexico, 8AM-6PM

Day at Sea

Day At Sea

Charleston, 7AM

I know the hours aren't great, but they're realistic. I would certainly try to book either one, both seem great, especially if you can drive to them. Thoughts?

I would just about take a dingy if it would get me there legally - I followed a Canadian photographers photo blog when he spent 2 months in Cuba a couple years ago .... beautiful country.

Here's an article indicating that it may still be a while before you can cruise to Cuba...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6144

It may not be fast enough to save Fantasy to use for the trip, so another ship will still likely be based out of Charleston.

Like for example, if they offered these as weeklong cruises, I would certainly drive.

Charleston, 4PM

Day At Sea

Grand Turk, 12PM-6PM

San Juan, 1PM-11PM

St.Thomas or St.Maarten, 8AM-6PM

Day at Sea

Day At Sea

Charleston, 7AM

or

Charleston, 4PM

Day at Sea

Key West Florida, 7AM-2PM

Cozumel Mexico, 1PM-10PM

Costa Maya Mexico, 8AM-6PM

Day at Sea

Day At Sea

Charleston, 7AM

I know the hours aren't great, but they're realistic. I would certainly try to book either one, both seem great, especially if you can drive to them. Thoughts?

Those are great itineraries. I wish we could get more ports out of Galveston!

• 2 months later...

Charleston has a very fragile peace going on right now with the protesters. I doubt that Carnival will risk stirring up the nest of hornets with a change of that magnitude, right now.

I am betting it will be Splendor.

I like that idea. Do have any knowledge, or is it just an opinion?

It is a fragile peace in Charleston, but Fantasy won't be around too long given it's age and rumors of a sale.