Ferry from St Thomas to St John question

aquaclass

Just a couple of general ferry comments: There are two new catamaran ferries doing the Red Hook-Cruz Bay route. They are quick and nice, but they are fairly small. I believe they hold 200-250 or so. The afternoon ferries, especially 4 and 5, are full of school kids and workers. If you get stuck on St John for any ferry, I would bet it would be the 4 pm. ;)

We were picked up at the ship. Drop off at St. John's was a few minutes walk to where ferry docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This must vary from time to time. We thought we were being picked up at the pier, but that's not what happened on our Summit cruise in March 2014. It was a windy day with very rough water. The crossing was extremely rough. Most of the beaches were closed to swimming except for Caneel a Bay. Maybe that was the reason the ferry loaded up where it did.

A few things to keep in mind:

- six cruise ships seems like a lot (and it is) but that is not unusual for St. Thomas. They often have 5 or 6 ships in port so they can handle many more than most islands. Their transportation options account for that capacity (allowing that of course with 6-7 ships in town traffic can be affected a bit)

- the cruise ship ferry follows a longer route to the island and the seas are known to be rocky on occasion. If you are prone to seasickness, you may want to consider Red Hook

- the ferries themselves are very, very large. I do not know their capacity, but they hold a lot of people. I may not risk taking the last one back without doing some research, but as a general rule space is not a problem. Most people cruising automatically take the ship's ferry without doing the research to know that taking Red Hook is much easier than you would think. So I doubt there would be hoards of people.

Does anyone have a website that shows how many ships are in ports? I have googled and every time I think I have found a website, I have to become a member. We are going on Carnival Liberty out of San Juan March 29th on it's first voyage out of SJU. We've done this same itinerary on Carnival Valor over the 4th of July for 4 years in a row. Carnival Valor is the only ship in the ports during the summer, totally awesome! I can't find a website that shows how many ships will be in the ports on the March 29th cruise.

Does anyone have a website that shows how many ships are in ports? I have googled and every time I think I have found a website, I have to become a member. We are going on Carnival Liberty out of San Juan March 29th on it's first voyage out of SJU. We've done this same itinerary on Carnival Valor over the 4th of July for 4 years in a row. Carnival Valor is the only ship in the ports during the summer, totally awesome! I can't find a website that shows how many ships will be in the ports on the March 29th cruise.

Yes - try cruisett dot com

You can look up by ship or by port

hi there

we are from atkinson & going on NCL 2/21, to st martins & st thomas. the ONLY thing i really want to do is snorkel in st John.

i get motion sick on catamarans or sailboats so I'm looking for some sort of motor boat to take us to St john, but have no idea where to go when we get there?

you seemed to know a lot bat that island, so i'd appreciate any info you may have or poss direct me where to get some

thanks

ellen

hi there

we are from atkinson & going on NCL 2/21, to st martins & st thomas. the ONLY thing i really want to do is snorkel in st John.

i get motion sick on catamarans or sailboats so I'm looking for some sort of motor boat to take us to St john, but have no idea where to go when we get there?

you seemed to know a lot bat that island, so i'd appreciate any info you may have or poss direct me where to get some

thanks

ellen

If you go to the ports of call forum you will probably find a lot of advice there under the St. Thomas site.

I get a lot of great information for all ports there.

Gail

Sent from my iPad using Forums