Queen Mary 2 - Photo Tour and Voyage Report

ShipsInBergen

Thanks all for the kind comments :)

Great to hear!

We have just been allocated our sheltered balcony cabin - 6186 so hoping it's not too noisy with the buffet above!

Gae

I got to know a couple who were on deck 6 (under the buffet) and they said they didn't have any problems with noise at all. Hopefully that's true of all the cabins in that area!

I was very recently on QM2 from Southampton to Dubai and I'm sorry to say that in the wrong places there is a lot of noise on deck 6. If you have a sheltered balcony cabin I think you'd be fine. The problem is not the passengers walking about, it's the trolleys bumping noisily over the room floor-joins (I am sure) in the crew-side/kitchens of Kings Court. In other words, it affects inside cabins in specific places. My experience was quite bad, with loud crashing and banging noises every night, and sadly throughout the night. It seemed as if the staff only came to life at night. So I presume it wasn't ordinary movements of food, it sounded more like batches of clinking crockery being re-located during the night. At times the noise was unbelievable and it woke us up repeatedly. During the first night my heart truly sank (I live next door to students!).

However, don't let that put you off. I had a really cheap price, much cheaper than many, and my gut feeling is that Cunard probably know which are the noisy cabins and they sell them off cheaply through 3rd party sellers. The overall experience of the holiday was wonderful and I would do it again, even in the same cabin: At that price. If I had paid 2-3 times the price for the same grade I would have been hammering on the pursers desk! I got what I paid for and I was happy. But yes, in the wrong places there will be awful noise. Bump...bump...bump...crash....pause a while... bump...repeat!!

I was very recently on QM2 from Southampton to Dubai and I'm sorry to say that in the wrong places there is a lot of noise on deck 6. If you have a sheltered balcony cabin I think you'd be fine. The problem is not the passengers walking about, it's the trolleys bumping noisily over the room floor-joins (I am sure) in the crew-side/kitchens of Kings Court. In other words, it affects inside cabins in specific places. My experience was quite bad, with loud crashing and banging noises every night, and sadly throughout the night. It seemed as if the staff only came to life at night. So I presume it wasn't ordinary movements of food, it sounded more like batches of clinking crockery being re-located during the night. At times the noise was unbelievable and it woke us up repeatedly. During the first night my heart truly sank (I live next door to students!).

However, don't let that put you off. I had a really cheap price, much cheaper than many, and my gut feeling is that Cunard probably know which are the noisy cabins and they sell them off cheaply through 3rd party sellers. The overall experience of the holiday was wonderful and I would do it again, even in the same cabin: At that price. If I had paid 2-3 times the price for the same grade I would have been hammering on the pursers desk! I got what I paid for and I was happy. But yes, in the wrong places there will be awful noise. Bump...bump...bump...crash....pause a while... bump...repeat!!

Thanks for your comments. Just 2 more sleeps & we'll find out for ourselves!

Great to hear!

We have just been allocated our sheltered balcony cabin - 6186 so hoping it's not too noisy with the buffet above!

Gae

Gae

To reassure you, we were in 6200 for a back to back Transatlantic on QM2 at the end of 2013 and didn't have any problems with noise. This is just a few rooms aft of yours but should be the same experience. Most of the room is actually under the promenade deck and we certainly didn't hear any noise at night.

Have a great cruise.

Will

Absolutely stunning photos, thank you:) She seems to be in good shape, just like I left her two years ago:D Was it a light passenger load as you managed to take most of the photos without any people in them? Did you experience any heavy seas on your crossing? Only two months to go until my next rendezvous with the Queen!

Wow, what a fabulous photo tour!

How was the weather on deck as opposed to your balcony? Iam curious about winter crossings. Were the decks closed due to the wind very often?

Thank you :) The weather on deck was strangely mild for much of the crossing. There were windy spots along the way on a lap of the promenade, but it felt sheltered, and on a couple of afternoons I just needed a thin sweater - my thick coat was way too warm. I don't remember seeing the promenade closed much (and when it was it was usually only on one side). The observation deck infront of the Atlantic Room was closed a few times, though.

Absolutely stunning photos, thank you:) She seems to be in good shape, just like I left her two years ago:D Was it a light passenger load as you managed to take most of the photos without any people in them? Did you experience any heavy seas on your crossing? Only two months to go until my next rendezvous with the Queen!

Thanks :) I think she was sailing nearly full (though she never once felt crowded to me). The photos of the empty rooms were taken much later in the evening than most passengers were awake; one of my favourite times to walk around the public spaces.

We didn't get any very rough seas. Definitely enough to feel a bit of motion, but I was hoping for a bit more to see what she is really made of! The only incidents on our crossing weren't weather related- a small (tiny) fire in a passenger laundrette, and a chemical leak in a crew area. Passengers were kept very well informed about these, even if it did seem to make many people worry a little too much :(