Southampton Parking?

Tarquin

When we have used Parking4cruises the documentation you receive prior to the cruise tells you to ring 30 mins before arrival at port on embarkation and also when you are due to disembark at Southampton.

Yes we have received the same info by e-mail for the 3 times we have used them so far.

Yes we have received the same info by e-mail for the 3 times we have used them so far.

Must have had my blinkers on:confused::confused:

but there was still about 20 + cars waiting along with us for the staff to arrive and we were getting a little worried as we had never used them before. We did get a good price though as it was for 12 nights.:cool:

We have used Alternative Cruise Parking twice now http://www.alternativecruiseparking.co.uk/ and really like it. It's slightly cheaper (more so on long haul I think ?) but actually we would use it if it was the same price.

It has been very efficient on both occasions, much better than our one experience with the preferred providers (utter shambles). They have a contact system which works well (despite on one occasion being stuffed by Cunard changing everything late on .... had to wait 20 whole minutes :)

You don't have to drive into Southampton - you can go on the A326 turning off the M27 and it takes about ten minutes to get to Marchwood down quiet roads. People and drivers are very friendly and know a lot of short cuts and so on that I wouldn't be able to find.

Last time we sailed from Southampton we drove down the day before we embarked and stayed at the Best Western Chilworth Manor. I can't recall how much we paid but it was dearer than parking at the port or the coach. However, we got dinner, bed & breakfast, transfer to and from the port and 15 days parking. It was virtually three minutes off the motorway and close to an Asda to fill the tank for the journey home. I would definitely do it again as we boarded the ship exceedingly relaxed as we'd only travelled twenty minutes down the road in a taxi, rather than four/five hours down busy motorways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by wobblybob74

Hi,

First time poster here - but long time reader.

We're going on our first cruise from Southampton in April. We're staying in a Premier Inn the night before so will be in the vicinity on the morning of the cruise.

Has anyone used "Stress Free Parking" before - they do a Meet & Greet option for around 20% less than CPS, reviews seem a bit mixed though.

Travelling with our 23 month old twins, so looking for the most convenient service rather than the absolute cheapest...

Edited by ballon

I have only used CPS and never considered using any other company. CPS is very easy to use, very efficient and I have absolute confidence that my car is safe. They are a bit more expensive but well worth it.

We have used CPS in the past and always been very happy with the service even though they are very expensive. Our last cruise we used Parking4cruises at a lot cheaper price with no difference in service and just a very short walk from short stay car park to drop off and pick up car which is a small price to pay for saving in price and was very impressed with the service and will always use Parking4cruises in future.

Hi Ballon,

We have used "Stress free parking" twice. We booked through APH and on arrival it was actually "Stress free parking". We were a bit concerned on arrival with a different name!

They were great both times. We rang about 30 minutes before arrival but it was only a recorded message. We dropped our suitcases off at the drop off area, then drove into the short stay car park and walked over with our hand luggage. About a minutes walk. I have young children but didn't have them with us, but certainly the terminals we used (Mayflower and Ocean) it would be perfectly do-able with toddlers and buggies.

On arrival back we had to collect our luggage and wheel it to short stay car park where we were met by our car and driver. The walk was about half the distance again to where the queue for the CPS parking was (we had no queue). I am sure it would be possible for one of you to wait with children and luggage while other collects car if need be.

We've used CPS every time and find them to be excellent. It's completely hassle free and incredibly convenient.

The first couple of times we used them we discovered that, when we collected the car at the end of the cruise, it had a film of invisible grime over it (presumably atmospheric dust from the area in the docks that they store the cars). This took multiple washes of the car to remove.

Since then we've added the basic valet (£25) and the car is nice and clean when we pick it up.

Well, the going rate seems to be about £5 a day. For a week that's £35, then there may be transport costs as most aren't that close to the Docks.

I would also have insurance concerns. I don't know what your insurer may think about you leaving your car on someone else's drive for a week, and it may be difficult to claim against the driveway owner.

TBH ACP charged £57 for a week last cruise we went on, including transport and I'm not that keen to save that odd tenner.

We used it last year, and my husband has used it for work purposes. In my opinion it's safer than a car park, as the owners live there, and many are very secure. You're on a driveway, not on a road. Just read the reviews! We had a taxi to the port, £11 each way, so much cheaper, even after the taxi fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's something that looks better and better the longer your cruise I suspect.

I think it's worth considering but people need to be careful and look at each case individually.

I take your point about the other parking companies but it would be easier to go after them. I know some parking companies, especially the "meet and greet" type have got caught parking the cars on ordinary roads. ACP come over to me as a professional outfit. Some of them look decidedly dodgy

ACP and the other cross-the-water parkers do have the advantage of plenty of cheap space, unlike those close to the docks.

A 25 day cruise is priced at £143 there, as opposed to £125 on the £5 deal. I suspect CPS would double that. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I wouldnt park in somebodies drive without checking with my insurance company to see if I would be covered for damage or theft while on holiday. I am sure that in the small print there would be no liability on the householder or the company and would the insurance company say you have taken reasonable care to protect your vehicle. Granted there might be small print in all car parking companies about liability but by booking with a registered, certified and secure parking company you have taken all reasonable care.