A few planning questions for a "maybe I'm crazy" cruise

Bruin Steve

Here's the deal:

We've cruised Alaska just once...Back in July 2004...But, for that one, we sort of went "all out"...Took our daughters, booked two Sky Suites on Celebrity Summit...Added the Cruisetour out of Fairbanks to bring it to 13 nights...then added two extra hotel nights in Vancouver post-cruise...Took all of the expensive port tours--like Helicopter landing on the glacier in Juneau. Did everything, including air, through Celebrity.

This one would be WAY different...if we do it...

This coming July, we are already doing a very expensive cruise vacation: Celebrity Xpedition's Galapagos cruise on the 10 night Quito package, with an extra night in Quito pre-tour on our own...

But, for us, a mere 11-night Summer vacation is rather short. My wife works for the schools and her vacation windows are limited...So July, roughly, is about the only time we can take a long vacation.

So, I was thinking: Maybe we can get back from Quito on July 13 and still have a little time to sneak in another week of cruising before my wife has to go back to work--around the start of August...

Of course, blowing the budget on the Galapagos, this one would have to be "on the cheap"...like inside cabin cheap, no helicopter tours cheap, etc...

Anyway, I noticed that the Celebrity Infinity has a July 24 sailing with inside cabins starting at $799 pp...plus $189 in taxes and fees...Add in tips and we're looking at a total cruise fare/cost of around $2150...Then, I checked with American Airlines...and we can actually get flights LAX to Anchorage and Vancouver back to LAX for a mere 12,500 miles each segment--so, 50,000 miles total for the two of us...Only problem is bad flight times...but doable...Have to arrive in Anchorage after midnight preceding the cruise and depart Vancouver at 6:00 am--so it would have to be the day after disembarkation...

Since everything last time was handled by Celebrity, I never did any of the pre- and post-cruise planning for that one...So, here are my preliminay questions:

Pre-cruise:

Assuming arrival at Anchorage Airport around 12:30 am, I assume a hotel somewhere nearby and some sort of transportation to Seward in the morning?

Where should I stay?

How can I get from there to the ship in Seward?

Post-cruise:

I've always stayed in Downtown Vancouver, but, with such an early flight, better to stay near the airport? Do hotels there have free airport shuttles? If we wanted to hang out in Vancouver a little before heading down to the airport area, what to do with the luggage?

Thanks...

Pre-cruise:

Assuming arrival at Anchorage Airport around 12:30 am, I assume a hotel somewhere nearby and some sort of transportation to Seward in the morning?

Where should I stay? An airport area hotel with shuttle would be easiest, but if you take the early morning train to Seward, staying downtown might be better. You'll need a taxi to downtown..

How can I get from there to the ship in Seward? COLOR="Red"]Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer. See which schedules best meet your needs.

Post-cruise:

I've always stayed in Downtown Vancouver, but, with such an early flight, better to stay near the airport? Do hotels there have free airport shuttles? If we wanted to hang out in Vancouver a little before heading down to the airport area, what to do with the luggage?

The airport is about 1/2 hr from the pier so no free shuttle. Personally I prefer to be close to the airport for an early flights]. Find a hotel near the Light Rail. You can either check your luggage at Canada Place ( but check the hours of operation) or go immediately to your airport hotel, dump your luggage then return to Vanc for your sightseeing w/o having to worry about retrieving luggage. OR stay downtown and catch an early cab to the airport.

Answers in red

Edited by mapleleaves

there's a train from anchorage to seward at the crack of dawn.

My daughter thought it was the most beautiful train ride she was on during her alaska trip two years ago.

It's called the alaska railroad "coastal classic"

you can book it online at the website linked below (click on the 'coastal classic' tab to see the schedule for anchorage to seward):

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

it leaves anchorage at 6:45 AM and arrives in seward at 11:05 AM.

You need to be at the train station one hour prior to departure, so at 5:45 AM.

Edited by alaska_planner

The Accent Inn Richmond ...near the Vancouver airport is reasonable, clean and has a complimentary 24 hour airport shuttle. They also have cruise terminal shuttles in season. We did a stay and fly there in November, and I can recommend them happily :)

Carla

Post-cruise:

Thanks...

Luggage can be stored at the cruise terminal for a fee as you explore Vancouver.

Yes a select number of airport hotels have shuttles. If you choose a downtown hotel, it's about a $35 for 35 minutes to the airport.

Here's the deal:

We've cruised Alaska just once...Back in July 2004...But, for that one, we sort of went "all out"...Took our daughters, booked two Sky Suites on Celebrity Summit...Added the Cruisetour out of Fairbanks to bring it to 13 nights...then added two extra hotel nights in Vancouver post-cruise...Took all of the expensive port tours--like Helicopter landing on the glacier in Juneau. Did everything, including air, through Celebrity.

This one would be WAY different...if we do it...

This coming July, we are already doing a very expensive cruise vacation: Celebrity Xpedition's Galapagos cruise on the 10 night Quito package, with an extra night in Quito pre-tour on our own...

But, for us, a mere 11-night Summer vacation is rather short. My wife works for the schools and her vacation windows are limited...So July, roughly, is about the only time we can take a long vacation.

So, I was thinking: Maybe we can get back from Quito on July 13 and still have a little time to sneak in another week of cruising before my wife has to go back to work--around the start of August...

Of course, blowing the budget on the Galapagos, this one would have to be "on the cheap"...like inside cabin cheap, no helicopter tours cheap, etc...

Anyway, I noticed that the Celebrity Infinity has a July 24 sailing with inside cabins starting at $799 pp...plus $189 in taxes and fees...Add in tips and we're looking at a total cruise fare/cost of around $2150...Then, I checked with American Airlines...and we can actually get flights LAX to Anchorage and Vancouver back to LAX for a mere 12,500 miles each segment--so, 50,000 miles total for the two of us...Only problem is bad flight times...but doable...Have to arrive in Anchorage after midnight preceding the cruise and depart Vancouver at 6:00 am--so it would have to be the day after disembarkation...

Since everything last time was handled by Celebrity, I never did any of the pre- and post-cruise planning for that one...So, here are my preliminay questions:

Pre-cruise:

Where should I stay?

How can I get from there to the ship in Seward?

Post-cruise:

Thanks...

Greetings from a fellow Bruin alum living in Alaska. Your trip is very doable. If you wish to take the early morning train from downtown Anchorage to Seward, the closest hotel to the train depot is the Comfort Inn. It's totally walkable to the depot and they like you to check in about an hour before and the train is the most scenic way to get to Seward. Another alternative is to stay close to the Anchorage airport (Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, Microtel, etc.) and arrange bus transportation to Seward. Several companies operate the route during the summer. Check out the Seward website at http://www.seward.com

My wife and I used to do naturalist duties for the cruiselines and we often stayed at the Delta Hotel very close to the Vancouver airport who offered a free shuttle. We booked a pickup the next day through Land and Sea tours that included a four hour tour of the city before heading to the cruise terminal.

12:30am flight arrivals in Anchorage are quite the norm year round up here. Sounds like you could use the nonstop Alaska Airlines flight which is very convenient although I'm no fan of redeyes ;). A cab to downtown Anchorage isn't very expensive and plenty are available when flights arrive.

Edited by Chenega

We did a similar cruise from Seward to Vancouver in 2010. We flew to Anchorage from LAX arriving after midnight and took a cab to the Alyeska Hotel in Girdwood; about 30 minutes out of town. It was a beautiful night drive. We stayed for two nights there and took the train to Seward. The hotel is a ski resort with the usual amenities. There is a really small station in Girdwood (a platform really) but it worked out great. The train ride over the Kenai peninsula was stunning in late May. Snow covered mountains and passes and blue skies from horizon to horizon. The train station in Seward is a short taxi ride to the port. The town itself is interesting with nice aquarium as well. Good luck on your travels.

Fight on!

We did a similar cruise from Seward to Vancouver in 2010. We flew to Anchorage from LAX arriving after midnight and took a cab to the Alyeska Hotel in Girdwood; about 30 minutes out of town. It was a beautiful night drive. We stayed for two nights there and took the train to Seward. The hotel is a ski resort with the usual amenities. There is a really small station in Girdwood (a platform really) but it worked out great. The train ride over the Kenai peninsula was stunning in late May. Snow covered mountains and passes and blue skies from horizon to horizon. The train station in Seward is a short taxi ride to the port. The town itself is interesting with nice aquarium as well. Good luck on your travels.

Fight on!

But it is pricey.:D