Price Changes

auntieeb

..... was anyone under the impression it was just a P&O tactic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately when you read many posts, not necessarily on this thread, it will read after this we will never sail with xxxxxxx again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think we need to put the M&S price analogy to bed once and for all, as its the example that gets quoted time and time again.

The big difference here is that your sale item in M&S is last season, yes you might still get some wear out of it, but from an M&S point of view, its old stock, wrong season - big coats with Spring approaching, or bikinis at the end of summer and they want rid ASAP as its taking up valuable floor space that can be put to better use displaying new season stock at full price.

So its old tat they are trying to get rid off before they ship it to the outlet stores.

Whereas your cruise that you have just seen slashed by a third is still to happen, its new, its exciting, its something you are looking forward to, its something that is still on sale as a cruise for the coming season, its still in the glossy brochures and its still current.

That is why people get so upset, I'm not one of them, but trying to explain it away via the M&S example - doesn't work or help our cruisers in distress!

Okay maybe M & S is old tat richleeds, how about the theatre tickets I paid full price for to get the seat I wanted and my daughter got a row behind me a few days before for a 3rd of the price, or the pram I bought my daughter/grandchild for £700 only to see it reduced 2 months later at £350 and baby not been born yet!! I did complain about this one and got my money back but they wouldn't sell me the reduced one so sent a friend back to buy it!!.

I never take much notice of those, it's just a whinge. I was on the 'infamous' cruise to nowhere just before Christmas and 98% of what was written about that was tosh.

Was that the QE one. That would have suited me down to the ground. Less port the better.

Only it was a bit short. Not doing a 700 mile round trip for anything less than, I was going to say 7 days but on consideration , it would be 12/14.

Edited by daiB

We booked a cruise on Arcadia in November 2014 for a cruise departing August 2015.

A few days after we booked the ports of call changed due to the Russia/Ukraine problem.

We understood why and were happy with the alternative ports of call.

However when I checked the cruise details on line to look in more detail at the ports I noticed the price had changed significantely.

The cruise was a lot cheaper and the on board credit increased by quite a lot.

When I telephoned P and O to ask if they would offer the new price to us the reply was they couldn't/wouldn't as we had already booked with a low deposit offer!!! So we cancelled the first booking and rebooked at the new price, ok so we lost the "low deposit" but gained the other benefits.

Will be very wary in future of booking early and with P and O.

even though we have cruised with them seven times before.

We also checked our prices after an advert on the tv - like you we cancelled the first booking, lost the low deposit but the cruise is now £700 cheaper !!!

Wow so happy lots of on board credit mean lots of cocktails or champagne for breakfast ha. We had originally booked a balcony cabin and an inside opposite and have managed the same just a few doors down what is strange though is that i don't think they were availalable at original time of booking.

Was that the QE one. That would have suited me down to the ground. Less port the better.

Only it was a bit short. Not doing a 700 mile round trip for anything less than, I was going to say 7 days but on consideration , it would be 12/14.

Why not just stay on board on port days?

Why not just stay on board on port days?

Have done a couple of times, only when I can get away with it. I don't mind ports but I quite enjoy a missed one. Having said that we have only missed 5 in all our cruises and one was quickly replaced.

One was Cadiz when we were sat outside the port for 5 hours hardly being able to see the front of the ship. Very calm.

5 out of 180 to 200 is not bad I suppose. Or should that be not that good in my case. :)

Yes, that was the one. 99% of what was written in the papers was nonsense.

Mrs Hat spent half the journey home writing furious missives on the Mail's comments page about the complaints, we were staggered to get off and hear about a 'mutiny'. Pathetic people telling lies and/or exaggerating in an attempt to get money.

We quite enjoyed it, never been a big fan of Amsterdam though I love NL generally, lived there for a while so missing out wasn't that important, and we enjoyed the extra ship board time.

Standards overall quite similar to P&O but prefer P&Os "style" I think, Cunard fancy themselves a bit as posh but don't quite make it, P&O is more laid back. Can't imagine Cunard doing the Sailaway lunacy for example :)

Some people we met were disappointed, but didn't actually meet anyone who was really cross about it. At home we joked to people about our exciting cruise from Southampton to ... Southampton.

Okay maybe M & S is old tat richleeds, how about the theatre tickets I paid full price for to get the seat I wanted and my daughter got a row behind me a few days before for a 3rd of the price, or the pram I bought my daughter/grandchild for £700 only to see it reduced 2 months later at £350 and baby not been born yet!! I did complain about this one and got my money back but they wouldn't sell me the reduced one so sent a friend back to buy it!!.

Well, you are very fortunate, because no way should you have been given the money back. Stuff is discounted if they want to sell it. Prams, Cruises, Tickets.

Anything that has a built in expiry date - it *has* to be sold by a specific time and the cost has already been accrued will be worse. After that time - once the ship has sailed - the ticket has no value at all to the cruise line.

If you go on a cruise then the staffing, food, etc. will be set up for a full ship. If the ship is not full it makes sense to sell it at cost, or even to give it away (you'd get some money from onboard spending).

Theatre shows are even worse. Production costs are the same whether there is one person in the audience or it is jam packed - plus as with cruises you get additional sales, programmes, bar drinks, ice creams and so on.

We were in a Thomson's agent a year or so ago, and this bloke came up to us and asked us if we'd like a Thomson Fly-cruise week for £250, only catch is we had to go tomorrow - if it had been possible we would probably have done it too. (My Aunt and Uncle regularly sail on Thomson so they can't be as bad as some claim)

Tell me, if due to sudden shortages the pram rose in value and you sold it for twice as much, would you visit the shop and give them the extra money back ? If the price suddenly rose two days after you bought it, would you go back to the shop and pay the extra ?

Thought not !

It's real life ; if you have grandchildren you should be old enough to know this already.

Booked early for a cruise with Celebrity because we liked the itinerary and the price was good. A week before the final balance was due the price dropped £200 pp and two weeks after the final balance date it had dropped a further £100 pp. :eek:

We were cross for about 10 minutes (maybe a bit longer:D) and then realised the price we'd originally paid was still a good price and agreed 'that's life' . Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Frankly I still think we won because we had a fabulous time.