Windsurf in Virgin Gorda

2goodeyes

For those of you who have been on the Yachtsman's Caribbean cruise, I am trying to get an idea of the timing for the Windstar Island Experience Private Event on Prickly Pear beach. We want to be there for that but also find time to see The Baths. We will be there until 4:00 in the afternoon. Any help would be appreciated.

Is the private event you mention the beach bbq?

If so, and you take the Windstar Baths tour they take you right to the bbq after your shore excursion. It had already started when we got there so we didn't get the full experience, but it was still enjoyable.

Thank you for the info Snow Cat. I was thinking of just taking a taxi to The Baths and doing that on our own since we are not interested in the other parts of the Windstar tour. Since you have been there, would you think my plan is good or not good?

Hmm. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I agree with you about having to take in the other parts of the tour (we were with the SLOWEST group in the world and I was really ticked by the time we made it to the BBQ and I would never do it again), but I am not sure how easy it would be to access a taxi where the tender disembarks.

Does anyone else have better information?

Hello there - we were on this cruise 2 years ago and Windstar offered a tender "triangle" transfer between Virgin Gorda, BitterEnd Yacht Club and Prickly Pear Island.

We did not want to do the Windstar excursion, so we just took a taxi from Virgin Gorda dock to the Baths and were one of the first to arrive which was great, as we found a secluded spot on the beach and swam in the wonderful waters. However, 2 hours on, the crowds started arriving, so we then left and took a taxi back to the dock. We then spent an hour at the Bitter End Yacht Club, then arrived at the BBQ on Prickly Pear Island before it had even started.

Thank you Disney Girl for the helpful info. Just curious, was the Bitter End Y.C. Worth tendering to? Also, how early would you say you arrived to The Baths?

Yes, the Bitter End YC was worth a look around, as you get a great view of Richard Branson's Necker Island. We got to the Baths about 10am, I think....

We are on Windsurf at present. The Baths is the other side of the island, so we didn't bother, but lunch on Prickly Pear goes on until at least 2, so everyone got fed. It's a nice chill out day on the beach. The Bitter End is a nice place to visit - great coffee!

Thank you Marama for the "on the scene" report! When you say "nice chill day", Do you mean as in "chillin" or that it is chilly? I was not planning on bringing jackets!

It's very breezy so I was glad that I had a pashmina and a cardigan in the evenings. Also, the air con can be fierce! I ended up wearing Capri pants and a long sleeved T shirt on a lot of evenings! And by the way, don't depend on the wifi - it's slow and expensive. There is wifi at the Bitter End.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week. The beach BBQ on Prickly Pear began serving at around 12:00 and went until about 2:00. People started arriving by 10:00 to get the beach spot they wanted. We did not arrive until 12:30 and there was plenty of space for either a sunny spot or even some shade. We opted for the shade.

Regarding doing the Baths on your own, we did not do it because it looked like a time consuming trip just to get there and back, not counting the time you would want to spend once you got there. Even if we had planned to go we couldn't because the Bitter End Resort called Wind Surf that morning and warned us not to ferry there because they had a bad outbreak of stomach virus.