Cabin selection - port or starboard

ce_cruise

Always love to hear peoples reason for choosing a particular cabin. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of this, Catagory selected, deck, port or starboard, forward, middle or aft. Cruise you are on. Reasons for selecting cabin.

To get this started ... 8d balcony, deck 8, port side, middle of ship. Sailing 6/21/16 Athens to Barcelona. In the selection of our cabin I looked at a number of factors. All interior cabins are out as my wife is claustophobic, we have a budget in mind so the suites were crossed off the list. Have been in oceanview but prefer the balcony's, balcony it is. Daughter can get motion sickness so we go for middle of the ship. Eliminate any cabins with a public area above or below. Get relatively close to pool and buffet area therfore I had to be close to the stairs. On this cruise I also looked at our saling direction and choose port side hoping to have a view of the sunsets. I booked early with our PVP so we were able to get the exact cabin we wanted.

After our first cruise I learned that there is an art to cabin selection. I would love to hear about your cabin selection and the reasons why you selected the one you did. :)

For me it's mid ship because I am prone to sea sickness.

Near the stairs/lift because my sense of direction is 0

A cabin on the launderette deck if there is one. As crazy as it may seem, I like to leave the ship with suitcases full of clean clothes in preparation for the next cruise -even if it is a year ahead!

Depending on which region the ship is sailing eg from Barbados to Puerto Rico I chose the starboard side in the hope of glimpsing the islands as we sailed by.

For the Med I chose the port side, again to catch a glimpse of mountain tops, islands etc....

I do the same for air travel:)

Balcony because I too am claustrophobic and because once you have had one you can't imagine not having one! :p

I check to be sure there are cabins above an below. I like to get my sleep at night!

I check the path of the ship and then choose either port or starboard accordingly as one of my favorite sights on a cruise is pulling into port and seeing the city for the first time.

On this one (May 24) I guessed and chose port. Hope I was right! :D

We are not prone to sea sickness so forward or aft is fine for us and for this trip I decided to be close to public decks and smoking areas so we will be on the Lido, forward in a balcony cabin.

We booked starboard deluxe OV on deck 2. It is now a running joke that we always book the "Odd" rooms! It appears from our direction that all the land will be on that side as well.

We love a balcony but the cost difference is pretty steep and I am not sure about relying on price drops to help out. We do have to change rooms as my sister and BIL are now going and my niece of course wants to be with them so we no longer need a quad room. Sister can only afford Inside and I would feel kind of bad having the nicer room. I have to really give this some thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really worry about whether it is port or starboard since I now only book interior midship cabins due to problems with seasickness. We prefer Deck 7 where there are cabins above and below you for quietness. This arrangement works best along with taking two Bonine daily starting two days before cruising.

Edited by HLGW60

So we must be the opposite of everyone else...

We like forward or aft, not mid ship. We actually like the movement, and it's disappointing when the seas are calm and there is not much movement. I actually just try to pick a cabin with an easy number to remember... Like 7272 or something. On our vista cruise we got a Havana suite, so we got everything we wanted, but it's a weird cabin number. Hopefully I won't forget the number!