Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

Norris,

Thanks so much for your hard work. I have now read your Vancouver to Whittier, Venice and now this Caribbean narrative. I'll be reading the rest soon.

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark- that's quite a bit of reading! The two you mentioned-Diamond P and Ocean P were my two favorite cruises so far due to the itinerary and in the Diamond's case the stellar Ship.

Itinerary goes to the Venice to Rome-which is why we are doing another Med in September. Hopefully a good narrative waiting to happen!

Thanks for following along Mark.

Norris

After our excellent affordable lunch we strolled back to the hotel and on the way in I wanted to show Carol the spacious bar there

16580492282_0602e60830_c.jpg[/url]

The most remarkable feature there was the huge painting behind the bar

16580491052_2070279db4_c.jpg

and this cute crustacean

15961418503_2d174470f2_c.jpg 15961418503_2d174470f2_b.jpg

Norris

Norris,

I hope that you will post a link on the Princess board to your Jan 2016 cruise review.

Thanks, Judy

Judy once I start the review on the Celebrity board I'll add it to my signature so any post I put on the Princess Board will lead to it.

For the Princess board I plan to do a comparison review once the Celeb one is finished which in my case will take at least a month. Having been on the Celebrity board doing a lot of homework-some great resources there from writers such as Cruisetrail who helped with our cabin choice (aft Sky Suite) and Librarylady19 who has a spreadsheet with most of the cabins listed with comments by people who stayed in them-very helpful) and Gambee who sailed on the Silhouette and photographed a lot of it in detail)

Carol loves the look of the ship and many of the features on it which we don't see on Princess and the itinerary takes us from FLL to Puerto Rico where Carol has never been (I've been), St Kitts (new to both) and St Maarten then two sea days home.

Our daily gratuities are paid for, as are our drinks and we have $300 OBC plus suite perks (butler and such)

Looking forward to jazz concerts on the Lawn while we munch on wine and cheese!

As everything will be absolutely NEW to us I expect to take way more photos than I usually do- I took 1,000 photos on Ocean Princess but that was because of the ports. I don't expect to take so many in the Caribbean ports but I reckon I can hit 1,000 on the ship alone. I have watched her sail away so many times over the years and always give a thumbs up to the exterior design.

So-looking forward to it, you might say!

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for another stellar review. We actually booked a 3 day L.A. to Vancover on the Ruby just because we wanted to be on her again after reading your review.

BTW,

....................... I have not put rum in the Guinness yet but will give it a "shot" so to speak.......

Norris

That sounds like a "Depth Charge" without having to drop the Rum shot glass into the Guinness mug. Less "Frat-like" and more civilized, so to speak.........:cool:

Thank you Bimmer09. for all of the info you have provided. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the comments and pictures you have provided. Again, thanks.

My pleasure and I hope you'll tune in again for the Emerald in the Med in early October.

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for another stellar review. We actually booked a 3 day L.A. to Vancover on the Ruby just because we wanted to be on her again after reading your review.

Well that's nice to see that you have such a strong affection for the Ruby. Does she stop anywhere between those two ports? Are you just going for the ship experience itself? Nothing wrong with that! Will you stay overnight in Vancouver?

I like Vancouver. What's not to like?

Thanks for following along to the end.

Norris

Here's a brief video of our lunch expedition with a few more shots of the hotel to finish.....

This part of Ft Lauderdale is very active if you are looking for casual restaurants and bars. Not so well placed for cruise ship watching.

I think we'll always start our first day at the Marriott Harbor Beach and then for a change visit the R.C after the cruise to unwind.

Norris

We were on the Grand Princess in January and our waitress explained the salmonella to us and offered it to us each night there after. We also got the shot glasses. Boxed up for us. When did they stop giving them away? I hate to see them do away with the little extras. We noticed that on Royal Carribean and have been cruising more on Princess . Maybe Will will have to keep our eyes open before we make another cruise after our October one. Thank you for your reports. My husband loves the British humour, I guess that's why he married'm me my dry English wit lol

We were on the Grand Princess in January and our waitress explained the salmonella to us and offered it to us each night there after. We also got the shot glasses. Boxed up for us. When did they stop giving them away? I hate to see them do away with the little extras. We noticed that on Royal Carribean and have been cruising more on Princess . Maybe Will will have to keep our eyes open before we make another cruise after our October one. Thank you for your reports. My husband loves the British humour, I guess that's why he married'm me my dry English wit lol

HI- I hope you mean Limoncello and not salmonella! (LOL)

Limoncello=good. The other one not so good.

I'm glad your husband enjoys the (Dry) British humor-I'm stuck with it but happily so as there is so much British comedy available now on youtube-things I haven't seen in nearly 30 years ( I left the UK 29 years ago) I played an episode of Dad's Army to Carol a while ago and she loved the writing. We have a boxed set of all the Fawlty Towers and the British Office too on DVD. Never gets old!

I "get" American humor too and we like to see Jerry Seinfeld or Jay Leno when we have a chance at tickets. My favorite comedian is Zack Galifianakis who is super-dry.

Another day should see me finish this review- I thank you for making yourself known before it ends up on page 20 of CC.

Norris

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!! what a great read, you had me at AHOY THERE SHIPMATES

Thank you so much for this great read and your dedication to helping others in learning about new ships, cultures and perspectives of others. I have wanted to do a review and I think you may have convinced me to do one on the next cruise I am on.

So thank you Norris for all you have done and hopefully will continue to do.

Scott

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!! what a great read, you had me at AHOY THERE SHIPMATES

Thank you so much for this great read and your dedication to helping others in learning about new ships, cultures and perspectives of others. I have wanted to do a review and I think you may have convinced me to do one on the next cruise I am on.

So thank you Norris for all you have done and hopefully will continue to do.

Scott

Scott-thanks so much for joining us before I pack up my tent and move on!

I encourage you to put pen to paper (er, you know what I mean) as every review can help people with a thirst for knowledge or just plain curiosity. Don't forget to include lots of photos!!

I will continue to write long reviews as long as people read them- two more currently planned but many many months away.

Two exciting cruises ahead-Emerlald Princess and Celebrity Silhouette.

I hope you will stop in during those reviews Scott.

Welcome aboard!

Norris

Scott-thanks so much for joining us before I pack up my tent and move on!

I encourage you to put pen to paper (er, you know what I mean) as every review can help people with a thirst for knowledge or just plain curiosity. Don't forget to include lots of photos!!

I will continue to write long reviews as long as people read them- two more currently planned but many many months away.

Two exciting cruises ahead-Emerlald Princess and Celebrity Silhouette.

I hope you will stop in during those reviews Scott.

Welcome aboard!

Norris

Thank you for the tips Norris it is much appreciated. I too like to give back to what is given to me and as I type this I am onto your Venice trip.

A year and a half of planning what fun that would be. IMHO I feel that is the best part of any trip, Getting to know your surroundings before you get there and finding things to do so you're not going in "blind". To me it's like an "ah ha" moment and think in my head so THAT'S what they were all writing about.

Thank you for the tips Norris it is much appreciated. I too like to give back to what is given to me and as I type this I am onto your Venice trip.

A year and a half of planning what fun that would be. IMHO I feel that is the best part of any trip, Getting to know your surroundings before you get there and finding things to do so you're not going in "blind". To me it's like an "ah ha" moment and think in my head so THAT'S what they were all writing about.

Yes anticipation and planning are a great part of the excitement for me. Being prepared and then finding out your homework paid off. No nasty surprises due to our ignorance and the time we spent learning Italian certainly paid off with smiles and great service once in Italy.

I just started reading through the Venice review and am reliving that amazing adventure-but only because I took photos and videos otherwise the memory can dim!

Norris

Norris, thank you so very much for all the time and effort that went into your review. For people like me who can't cruise much anymore, it was an absolute treat to relive those wonderful "cruising" days!

I have always loved Princess more than any other line, but they don't seem to cater too much to the east coast as they once did. Flying to Fort Lauderdale is always fun, but the Caribbean itineraries are getting old. Your past itinerary sounded quite nice, so I looked for next year, and don't see anything similar.

I loved the Ritz Carlton review! That in itself looks wonderful!

Again, thanks so much for a WONDERFUL read! I for one, truly appreciate it!

Norris, thank you so very much for all the time and effort that went into your review. For people like me who can't cruise much anymore, it was an absolute treat to relive those wonderful "cruising" days!

I have always loved Princess more than any other line, but they don't seem to cater too much to the east coast as they once did. Flying to Fort Lauderdale is always fun, but the Caribbean itineraries are getting old. Your past itinerary sounded quite nice, so I looked for next year, and don't see anything similar.

I loved the Ritz Carlton review! That in itself looks wonderful!

Again, thanks so much for a WONDERFUL read! I for one, truly appreciate it!

A new face and most welcome!

Thanks for the compliments and I am glad you enjoyed reading this.

Ritz Carlton was good enough for us to want to repeat and we will next January.

Thanks again,

Norris

Hi Norris,

I've now finally completed reading this epic trip. Let me add my hearty thanks to the many that have preceded me. Your commentary and amazing pictures bring back wonderful memories of these beautiful places and the wonderful Princess ships.

I loved reading your European blog earlier this year and looking forward to the next one. If you haven't been to Barcelona, you are going to love it - it's a photographers dream - Gaudi architecture is a joy to experience and photograph. We spent 4 days there before our cruise on the Royal in summer of 2013.

Thanks again for reminding me how much I love cruising with Princess, and travel in general and how it really is a wonderful world.

Ron

Hi Norris,

I've now finally completed reading this epic trip. Let me add my hearty thanks to the many that have preceded me. Your commentary and amazing pictures bring back wonderful memories of these beautiful places and the wonderful Princess ships.

I loved reading your European blog earlier this year and looking forward to the next one. If you haven't been to Barcelona, you are going to love it - it's a photographers dream - Gaudi architecture is a joy to experience and photograph. We spent 4 days there before our cruise on the Royal in summer of 2013.

Thanks again for reminding me how much I love cruising with Princess, and travel in general and how it really is a wonderful world.

Ron

Ron-thank you for giving me such generous feedback. I am glad you read my Ocean Princess review as that is the cruise I enjoyed most and indeed it is what made giving up the cruise we had booked to the Baltic on the CB this summer a no-brainer when Carol said let's go back to the Med where it's warm and so we found Rome to Barcelona on Emerald this September.

Carol's never been to Spain but speaks Spanish. I have a long history with it going back to my first vacation visit to the island of Ibiza in 1972, then I spent a month playing in a band near Cadiz in '78, then another vacation in Benidorm in 1982. Benidorm is one of those towns that get invaded by Brits who insist on fish and chips and Full English Breakfasts which spoiled it for me. I am there for Spain and the Spanish way.

So I have many memories of Spain- I drove all the way down the country from the border with France, seeing the beauty of the mountainous landscape and the wild Atlantic coast before resting in a hotel right on the beach in beautiful Rota.

The people were very warm and easy to get along with even though I don't speak Spanish. So I am looking to go back and visit Barcelona. My sister has a house in Spain in Murcia, but that visit will have to wait until another time.

Yes we are excited to visit Barcelona and see everything it has to offer but with only two days and nights at our disposal. Gaudi is top of the list. My camera will get a lot of use that much I know.

I hope to show you my photos in early October.

Thanks for following along- I hope to finish sometime tomorrow as I have some free time.

Cheers Ron,

Norris

Another wonderful tag-a-long trip with Norris and Carol!! I love your dry wit and your fantabulous pictures. In fact, I stole the one made at dawn in Fort Lauderdale to use as my screen background. I named it "Bimmer's Beach".

Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to your next review this fall.

SilverBird

Judy once I start the review on the Celebrity board I'll add it to my signature so any post I put on the Princess Board will lead to it.

For the Princess board I plan to do a comparison review once the Celeb one is finished which in my case will take at least a month. Having been on the Celebrity board doing a lot of homework-some great resources there from writers such as Cruisetrail who helped with our cabin choice (aft Sky Suite) and Librarylady19 who has a spreadsheet with most of the cabins listed with comments by people who stayed in them-very helpful) and Gambee who sailed on the Silhouette and photographed a lot of it in detail)

Carol loves the look of the ship and many of the features on it which we don't see on Princess and the itinerary takes us from FLL to Puerto Rico where Carol has never been (I've been), St Kitts (new to both) and St Maarten then two sea days home.

Our daily gratuities are paid for, as are our drinks and we have $300 OBC plus suite perks (butler and such)

Looking forward to jazz concerts on the Lawn while we munch on wine and cheese!

As everything will be absolutely NEW to us I expect to take way more photos than I usually do- I took 1,000 photos on Ocean Princess but that was because of the ports. I don't expect to take so many in the Caribbean ports but I reckon I can hit 1,000 on the ship alone. I have watched her sail away so many times over the years and always give a thumbs up to the exterior design.

So-looking forward to it, you might say!

Norris

Norris, we've also been thinking about giving Celebrity a try, so will be interested in following along on your review next January--be sure to give us a link or reminder so we can tune in. Have heard mixed reviews on the food on Celebrity, so will particularly be interested in your opinions. Loved your room at the RC. Sounds like you had a fantastic stay.

Another wonderful tag-a-long trip with Norris and Carol!! I love your dry wit and your fantabulous pictures. In fact, I stole the one made at dawn in Fort Lauderdale to use as my screen background. I named it "Bimmer's Beach".

Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to your next review this fall.

SilverBird

Hi Silverbird, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you have been following along.

You can "steal" as many photos as you like as I don't stamp a copyright on them. I know the pic you are referring to. The beach at Ft Lauderdale is a good place to be when the sun comes up!

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, we've also been thinking about giving Celebrity a try, so will be interested in following along on your review next January--be sure to give us a link or reminder so we can tune in. Have heard mixed reviews on the food on Celebrity, so will particularly be interested in your opinions. Loved your room at the RC. Sounds like you had a fantastic stay.

Celebrity Silhouette was Carol's idea and the big draw was the itinerary first.

She asked me to sniff out a cruise for next January so I immediately went on the Princess site as that cruise would get us to Elite level. However the routes/ships were either ones we had already sailed or had 2 Mexican ports (Costa Maya and Cozumel) neither of which appeal to Carol. I lobbied for the Royal Princess which hit Cayman, Cozumel, P Cays and Ocho Rios in Mid February. The Royal became a "maybe".

I also searched the HAL site, Oceania, Azamara and Royal (Radiance class, my favorite) but some were 10 day which is too long and searched Celebrity as Carol was already on their site and found a route hitting San Juan with 3 sea days which she loves. The S Class is a design I have admired when standing on the rocks in P.E and on the webcam sail aways. Eye candy!

Homed in on Silhouette and began research using CC and Youtube. Some good cabin-choosing resources made by CC members and lots of photos by Gambee helped us feel better about the choice. I did a spreadsheet Royal vs Silhouette and SIL fare was over $900 less for an aft suite but room tips/drinks were all paid for and $300 OBC included (current promotion called 123Go). 123Go will save us @ $1,000 in onboard spend. Add that to the $900 saved on the suite.

Ship is entirely different inside and on deck so we liked that and had many outdoor dining possibilities. Promenade deck is @ 900 ft long but goes behind lifeboats for long stretches but maintains it's width (8ft or more) unlike the Royal where it's one person wide behind the boats-so Carol can walk it. There is a high forward lounge where you can see out over the bow which is a plus.

We have FCCs that would have covered the Royal deposit but Celebrity only needs $500 deposit (not 20% total fare).

I found a suite aft on the corner of the hull, low deck so we could hear wake,port side so we can wave at the P.E Webcam (LOL)

I put a 24 hr hold on it to give me more time to research and cancel if needed.

Having just cruised on the Ruby where the food was really good I know we are taking a risk with untried food on Celebrity. It looks good in photos but you can't taste a photo. We'll just have to wait and see. Same with the service. If both fail then it will be One and Out for Celebrity.

They are opening a new dining room on the S class for suites only. Looks very high end but I'll be sure to take some meals in the MDR and the buffet and at least one specialty which we get comped.

Cabins won't be ready when we board which is a negative. No Sanctuary but a nice indoor adult-only pool will help.

It will be a voyage of discovery including 2 new ports and a break from the familiar-so that makes it exciting.

I will do a LONG review of course on the Celeb board and then do a comparison review on the Princess Board afterwards.

Should be interesting.

Norris

Norris,

We LOVE Celebrity! My fave! (In our opinion they have the best food too) It is quite delightful to be welcomed onboard with a glass of champagne or mimosa. The Persian Garden with the heated mosaic tile lounges facing a wall of windows looking out to sea is divine.

I look forward to your review on that as we are booked on a TA on her November 2016.

:)

Robin