Celebrity Century

unbeldi

That sounds like the "top notch" attitude of the staff on the Century. What ever happened to customer service?

Ok not permanently.

A little 12 step application here. Like 'stay away from wet faces and wet places' as an analogy. If you are recovering, and smoke has been/is a problem, you shouldnt be at places where there will be smoke. It's bound to irritate you. Sounds like the main issue here was smoking. And someone's insistance that somebody else should manage their recovery. So sorry, it's up to 'you' to manage your recovery, not everyone else. I 'am' reading between the lines, but this is pertinent as I see it.

Regards

Because I have sailed on the Century 5 (five) times over the course of 7 years, and NEVER (I repeat never) encountered "Horrible beds", "terrible food", "Abusive supervisors". As for smoking, its a public cruise ship and smoking is permitted. Get over it. If people don't abide by the smoking/non smoking side of the ship rule, thats rude PEOPLE, not a bad cruise ship.

The Century has always been a top notch boat, and there have been many (inaccurate) attempts to defame this ship, among others (Mercury for instance) by people who's accounts of their 'horrible' experience were not supported by others, on cruises before or after ones the complainers came from, or EVEN from those on the same cruise.

Sorry to be so brutally honest, and harsh, but my experience (and by far the majority of those other passengers who have sailed this ship) is quite different from this lone voice. Oh wait, perhaps you know sammiedawg? (sorry other thread time).

I am going to move on now, from this thread, permanently.

tbelian, you have expressed our thoughts on this subject very well. We have cruised on Century twice within the last year and several months and both have been wonderful. Also, very clever of you to pick out the No. 1 public hater and critic of Century - sammiedawg

It seems that one poster has had ALL his posts removed for offering too much advice !!!! (superagentnyc), yet these posts constanly rubbishing Celebrities offerrings remain. Strange but true.

Sounds like the poster was complaining well before they even went on the cruise.

You can't please some people all the time, you can't please some people any of the time.

Ok not permanently.

A little 12 step application here. Like 'stay away from wet faces and wet places' as an analogy. If you are recovering, and smoke has been/is a problem, you shouldnt be at places where there will be smoke. It's bound to irritate you. Sounds like the main issue here was smoking. And someone's insistance that somebody else should manage their recovery. So sorry, it's up to 'you' to manage your recovery, not everyone else. I 'am' reading between the lines, but this is pertinent as I see it.

Regards

Nope. No recovering smokers were involved. The only recovery involved was getting over some nasty cancer treatments.

If the non-smoking on one side of the ship rule is not enforced, so there is smiking allowed nearly everywhere on the ship, what should a person who is sensitive to smoke do? Just stay in their cabin 24/7?

Darrell6t still has not identified the Celebrity vessel, it intenary, and the date of the cruise. Wonder why? In our experience on Century and Mercury, the smokers were always on the port side in Rendez-Vous Square and the other public areas where smoking was permitted. We did not see or experience anyone violating the no smoking rules in other areas. However, on our cruises, the pax mix was almost 95% American.

Could Darrell6t's cruise happen to be in Europe. That would be an entirely different thing, since so many people there smoke.

Nope. No recovering smokers were involved. The only recovery involved was getting over some nasty cancer treatments.

If the non-smoking on one side of the ship rule is not enforced, so there is smiking allowed nearly everywhere on the ship, what should a person who is sensitive to smoke do? Just stay in their cabin 24/7?

Hop up on the counter at Guest Relations, and threaten to sit there (literally) until someone who is capable of making the decision to address the issue of the company's own policy with current passengers makes an appearance and provides some assurance that the issue will be addressed. If that means a special sheet in the Daily in 4 languages to reinforce the message, that's not asking too much.

Geez, we smokers have more than enough room port side to do our thing. The problem has never been anywhere remotely as you describe it on our U.S., Panama and Caribbean itineraries. Were the prime offenders mostly Europeans on a European itinerary?

Darrell6t still has not identified the Celebrity vessel, it intenary, and the date of the cruise. Wonder why? In our experience on Century and Mercury, the smokers were always on the port side in Rendez-Vous Square and the other public areas where smoking was permitted. We did not see or experience anyone violating the no smoking rules in other areas. However, on our cruises, the pax mix was almost 95% American.

Could Darrell6t's cruise happen to be in Europe. That would be an entirely different thing, since so many people there smoke.

The ship and the itinerary were explicitly identified in Message #1 and the title of this thread is "Celebrity Century", which should be a BIG clue. I wonder why you could not figure that out?

The cruise was in Europe, but to the best of my knowledge, Celebrity does not advertise that they suspend the smoking rules while there.

This time last year I had no axe to grind with Celebrity and was looking forward to the December Century cruise for a change of pace. We like to try different vacations and cruise lines. My reports of shabby stained carpets, upholstery, disgusting bathroom fixtures in our cabin were 100% truthful. Around the ship we saw worn shabby carpet and upholstery, especially on the open decks. What we saw on the outside was mirrored by what inspectors saw behind the scenes, I wont go into that situation but it all ties in with a deteriorated physical plant. I have no reason to make any of this up. When we got home I read many posts about this ship on this board and other boards that mirrored my comments. Regrettably I didnt do my homework before we sailed, I assumed the brand name of Celebrity meant something. We are not difficult customers and have not complained about other ships. We dont expect perfection but the condition of the Century in December reminded me of an airport Holiday Inn. Many people disagreed with my comments and wrote to say everything was wonderful for them. I was made out to be the villlian and people still criticize me as a previous poster did on this thread. During our cruise, construction was in progress to refurbish this ship and I'm sure lots of improvements have been made. Regrettably, we wasted a weeks vacation and hard earned $ for an unsatisfactory vessel. We probably saw the Century at its low point.

We enjoyed the ports, the food and service were fine. The complaints we had were primarily the physical condition of the ship. The physical plant is extremely important when you are confined for a week. I would have been just as unhappy if I had a bad hotel room.. But then I would have had the option to check out and go elsewhere. Since then I've had 2 nice cruises on other ships as well as nice land trips, the lodging was all much much better than the Century. I'm still puzzled why people are so defensive of Celebrity and choose to shoot the messenger.

We enjoyed the ports, the food and service were fine. The complaints we had were primarily the physical condition of the ship. The physical plant is extremely important when you are confined for a week. I would have been just as unhappy if I had a bad hotel room.. But then I would have had the option to check out and go elsewhere. Since then I've had 2 nice cruises on other ships as well as nice land trips, the lodging was all much much better than the Century. I'm still puzzled why people are so defensive of Celebrity and choose to shoot the messenger.

We were on Century in February, and everything that sammiedawg pointed out was not visible. She announced that she would never ever again, never ever again, sail on Celebrity. Why is she still posting about Century? Why doesn't she just go to another cruise line. In the postings that she speaks of, she was a lone voice in the wilderness amongst many many voices who had sailed on Century after December, and totally disagreed with her. I am wondering if her name is Cindy Sheenan!!!:D

I didnt realize drinking the kool aid was a requirement to post on these boards. I have no plans to book Celebrity, I glance at these boards out of curiousity as I glance at the boards for all lines I have sailed. I am not the lone voice, if you search posts on the condition of the Century on this board, Cruiseaddicts and cruisemates you will see similiar threads as recently as September, 2005. Somehow the US government CDC agreed with me this was a substandard ship at the time of my sailing. Something was indeed wrong with the physical conditions on this ship, it flunked its inspection

PS, read the earlier posts on this thread and another poster brought up my name as somehow being connected with the OP's issue on smoking.

Also there have been threads on Fodors about the conditions on this ship, the recent threads on cruise addicts discuss the poor conditions in Europe this summer. My TA friend told me the cruising public voted with their feet to other lines and that is why Celebrity pulled the Century from 7 day Florida to Europe. Century had the weakest actual perdiems with advance bookings from Ft Lauderdale way below expectations. Celebrity was releasing tons of cabins dirt cheap on the Internet to fill the ship.

Hi Charlie:) you and I have both had fantastic, wonderful, excpetionally

excellent cruises on Century.

I would sail her again in a heartbeat too. Not sure how many times you

and Nedra have sailed her....I believe at least twice, is that correct? I have

been on her 3 times. And I plan on going in 2007 again..she will be different

then, but just as wonderful I am sure.

You were on her in Feb and I went in March and she looked fabulous to me

too.

Ok, here is my suggestion to those reading with interest (note I said reading not posting) regarding 'The Century'. As much as I have said before that the opinions here on CC don't really influence the cruise company and it's approach to their product, negative posts here can certainly have an impact on a few (very few) cruisers considering a cruise on a given ship.

DO NOT let the opinions of one or two that post here make your decision for you. Also realize, that some of the information that is being 'rehashed' is OLD information. Since the low CDC score (way back in the old days), the ship has been re-inspected, and achieved a fine score.

The 'fact of the matter' is that what's represented here is fractional compared to the overall big picture. And of course, as someone else mentioned, people rarely come to rave or compliment, but they sure as heck will come here to complain and rant. If you are coming here to help make decisions about what to cruise on, where, take all with a grain of salt (including what I am saying), and let good common sense be your guide. People who have had a bad experience are PO'ed and vocal. People who have had a good experience are quiet and satisfied.

Something was indeed wrong with the physical conditions on this ship, it flunked its inspection

FYI, the inspection referenced was back in November of 2004. Almost a year ago. It is very 'old' news and yet the poster invariably includes the 'failed inspection' as part of the (outdated) information they give about their experience.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/nceh/VSPIRS/ReportPreview.asp?intInspectionID=131694

FYI, the inspection referenced was back in November of 2004. Almost a year ago. It is very 'old' news and yet the poster invariably includes the 'failed inspection' as part of the (outdated) information they give about their experience.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/nceh/VSPIRS/ReportPreview.asp?intInspectionID=131694

And never includes the subsequent inspection which was almost perfect.

That's what I'm talkin about!

If you are reading something about a particular ship and it's condition, or the experience someone has had on that ship, just count it as one opinion, not a representation of the entire cruise experience. Do your research and make an intelligent informed decision based on CURRENT information.

We've been on 32 cruises, including four on Century, and have never encountered smoking issues such as that described by the original poster. We've noticed that folks who do smoke in areas of the ship other than those set aside for smoking, are for the most part Europeans or South Americans who either don't understand the "rules" or choose to ignore them. On European cruises the problem is more noticeable than on cruises on this side of the pond, if for no other reason than more "locals" are on the ship. While I believe the cruiseline has a responsibility to try to curtail smoking in non-smoking areas, common sense dictates that there's only so much that can be done.

Wow...throwing "hot butts" over the side...are you sure this wasn't a Carnival cruise??

On a Carnival cruise, "hot butts over the side" usually has a completely different meaning !!!

As for the OP's comments re: Century, having sailed her last year, I find it VERY hard to believe. The staff onboard was as good as any we've ever encountered.

We've been on 32 cruises, including four on Century, and have never encountered smoking issues such as that described by the original poster. We've noticed that folks who do smoke in areas of the ship other than those set aside for smoking, are for the most part Europeans or South Americans who either don't understand the "rules" or choose to ignore them. On European cruises the problem is more noticeable than on cruises on this side of the pond, if for no other reason than more "locals" are on the ship and apparently the message about smoking being dangerous to your health hasn't made much of a dent in the European mentality.

While I believe the cruiseline has a responsibility to try to curtail smoking in non-smoking areas, common sense dictates that there's only so much that can be done.

We've noticed that folks who do smoke in areas of the ship other than those set aside for smoking, are for the most part Europeans or South Americans who either don't understand the "rules" or choose to ignore them.

On all my travels in Europe, I would say it is the latter. It is nothing strange to seem them smoke right under the no smoking sign in train stations and in airports.

BTW - is it possible to go right to the front of the ship on the Entertainment Deck (it seems to me from the deck plan that that would be it) - that will hopefully be not only a fresh-air environment but also good for motion sickness.;)

Changing the subject slightly, did I read that the Century will undergo a major refit in 2006/2007? Won't that address some wear-and-tear issues?

I am looking at the Century for a short Caribbean cruise in April 2007 and I know there must be some major changes ahead since they are adding balconies, etc.

Anyone know?

Changing the subject slightly, did I read that the Century will undergo a major refit in 2006/2007? Won't that address some wear-and-tear issues?

I am looking at the Century for a short Caribbean cruise in April 2007 and I know there must be some major changes ahead since they are adding balconies, etc.

Anyone know?

Early next year Century is going into a drydock, and yes the changes apparently will be major, as they are adding a number of balconys and a number of sky suites. However, our experience has been that upgrading and replacing carpets, refurbishing cabins, etc. is an ongoing task. The difference between our Royal Suite on Century in May of 2004 and our Royal Suite in February of this year was like night and day - the improvement was fantastic.

Archived